One last reloading question. (I hope) - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > One last reloading question. (I hope)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,404
Liked 8673 Times on 5015 Posts
Likes Given: 11278

Default

I find the Dillon powder measure on the 550 (powder bar) is not ideal for stick powders and will wear out in time (Dillon will send you a replacement at no charge). I use the RCBS powder measure on the Dillon 550 with an adapter. The RCBS and others like it will cut the extruded powder giving a more consistent charge IMO. The only way to get more accurate is a trickler.

__________________
Vikingdad is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default

Good lord stick,ball, flake powders. Boy I've got a lot to learn. It seams I will probably do better springing the extra cash for the rcbs.

__________________
lbwar15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,404
Liked 8673 Times on 5015 Posts
Likes Given: 11278

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Good lord stick,ball, flake powders. Boy I've got a lot to learn. It seams I will probably do better springing the extra cash for the rcbs.
Its all explained in the ABC's of Reloading!!! LOL.

RCBS is a great way to get started. IMO the Dillon is where many of us end up. You can have both in the same room and nothing dangerous will happen.
__________________
Vikingdad is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default

Yea I'm sure I will upgrade lol.

__________________
lbwar15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,887
Liked 6264 Times on 3516 Posts
Likes Given: 5854

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I find the Dillon powder measure on the 550 (powder bar) is not ideal for stick powders and will wear out in time (Dillon will send you a replacement at no charge). I use the RCBS powder measure on the Dillon 550 with an adapter. The RCBS and others like it will cut the extruded powder giving a more consistent charge IMO. The only way to get more accurate is a trickler.
Vike, most BR shooters consider VOLUMETRIC consistence moire important than weight consistency. ( weight per unit of volume changes as solvents in the powder evaporate.)

I agree with you that the RCBS is better for extruded powders, But I load straight from the measure, and I've had better accuracy then in the old days when I weighed every charge.

And consider this If you are satisfied with a weight variation of .1 grain in a 5 grain charge, then why not .5 grains on a 50 grain charge? Same percentage of error,
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”
Winston Churchill



War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
locutus is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Good lord stick,ball, flake powders. Boy I've got a lot to learn. It seams I will probably do better springing the extra cash for the rcbs.
If you think you have questions now...wait until you start cranking out the rounds!

The critters and collective knowledge around here have been priceless to my ignorant ass...i am forever asking stupid questions that i am sure make most teeter between reactions of rolling their eyes and sighing to saying "ohhh yeah, been there, done that."

Buy what you can afford and get reloading. You will find what works best for you and upgrade as you go along.

I like Lee because a buddy found the Lee turret press in the closet of a mobile home they were breaking down for scrap. He asked me if i was interested, i said yeah. He said whats it worth? I said $20...cant beat THAT deal with a stick, press and carbide .357 dies for $20...been slowly adding stuff as i went.

Again, get what you can to get started, I have found its a lifes long journey and NOT a destination.
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #27
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,454
Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Vike, most BR shooters consider VOLUMETRIC consistence moire important than weight consistency. ( weight per unit of volume changes as solvents in the powder evaporate.)

Not a BR shooter...but...This is something i must chew on....when using BP everything is "weighed" in volume. Why wouldnt the same hold true for smokeless.

I agree with you that the RCBS is better for extruded powders, But I load straight from the measure, and I've had better accuracy then in the old days when I weighed every charge.
This is something i have to chew on as well...

My thoughts run like this...if i am throwing from the same lot (jug) of powder, and my powder throws are running +- .3 or more...i need to be weighing every charge. especially when discussing Unique and .45 acp loads.
__________________

Last edited by fmj; 12-11-2012 at 07:39 PM.
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lbwar15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,016
Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

If you think you have questions now...wait until you start cranking out the rounds!

The critters and collective knowledge around here have been priceless to my ignorant ass...i am forever asking stupid questions that i am sure make most teeter between reactions of rolling their eyes and sighing to saying "ohhh yeah, been there, done that."

Buy what you can afford and get reloading. You will find what works best for you and upgrade as you go along.

I like Lee because a buddy found the Lee turret press in the closet of a mobile home they were breaking down for scrap. He asked me if i was interested, i said yeah. He said whats it worth? I said $20...cant beat THAT deal with a stick, press and carbide .357 dies for $20...been slowly adding stuff as i went.

Again, get what you can to get started, I have found its a lifes long journey and NOT a destination.
No better way to put it. Should be a fun and interesting journey. I can't wait to start reading the abcs.

It's good to know that if I have a question I can always come here for a knowledgeable answer.
Thanks for that guys.
__________________
lbwar15 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,887
Liked 6264 Times on 3516 Posts
Likes Given: 5854

Default

But beware! Handloading is highly addictive!!

__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”
Winston Churchill



War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,887
Liked 6264 Times on 3516 Posts
Likes Given: 5854

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
This is something i have to chew on as well...

My thoughts run like this...if i am throwing from the same lot (jug) of powder, and my powder throws are running +- .3 or more...i need to be weighing every charge. especially when discussing Unique and .45 acp loads.
IME, iof your pistol powder is off by
+_ .3, your best bet may be to switch to something like 231, or AAC2

For some reason, some measures just don't like unique. Two of my measures throw it nearly perfectly. The third measure doesn't like it at all.

Can't 'splain that one. All three are high dollar, big name powder measures.
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”
Winston Churchill



War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
5.56 reloading question rockhouse Ammunition & Reloading 19 11-28-2011 12:56 AM
Reloading question Fumbles AR-15 Discussion 9 11-26-2011 09:27 PM
12 Ga reloading question lukeisme Ammunition & Reloading 10 05-19-2010 03:57 PM
Reloading question fisher77 General Rifle Discussion 6 07-14-2009 05:32 AM
Reloading question ChuckMc1 Ammunition & Reloading 12 05-31-2009 12:20 AM