One last reloading question. (I hope) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > One last reloading question. (I hope)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Lee turret is the way to go on a budget (as i am) The scale and powder measure are a pain in the arse (as already stated) but doable.

The only problem i have with the Lee turret press is running 30-06 is a pain...there is just enough room to remove the loaded round.

My basement is a humid area and the only rust (surface) on my Lee carbides is on my .357 dies...that came with the press, used, many moons ago. I have loaded thousands of rounds with those dies without an issue.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 PM   #12

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282
I'll probably catch hell from the lee guys but buy anything but lee. I have equipment from Dillon, RCBS, Redding all good stuff I bought one set of lee dies sat them on the bench with all my other dies and the lee dies are the only ones that rust right before your eyes. Everybody is quick to say you get what you pay for about everything else and it's no different with reloading equipment.
To say anything but Lee is actually an injustice to the OP. Lee does makes excellent dies and hand tools so you may want to specify the parts that you don't like but to blanket it would be inaccurate in my opinion. Peace

Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 AM   #13

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

What's the problem with the lee pm and scale?

And as far as the dies I plan too keep them clean. And since the kid dose not come with dies I can always by other ones.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 AM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8285 Times on 4788 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

I would go with the Rockchucker first off, and start out with one caliber for one gun then get dies and supplies for others as you learn. If you can swing it maybe pick up 3 or maybe 4 presses as that will give you more flexibility in the future and you can set up the dies in a production line of sorts this way.

also, I didn't see it mentioned, but many people (myself included) do not use reloads for defensive ammo, we use factory loads only. It is far less likely for there to be a bad round in a box of Hornady critical defense (or what have you) than there is to be a mistake in your reloads. It is not a big deal at the range, only slightly more of a deal when hunting, but in an SD situation a ftfire can cost you your life. This having been said you can reload for practice rounds at the range, but when you load up for carry or HD, put factory loads in.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post

And as far as the dies I plan too keep them clean. And since the kid dose not come with dies I can always by other ones.
Lee dies are GREAT. They are less expensive than other brands and perform the same exact function, the same exact way. The only difference is $$

The PM I have is finicky (or I am) it refuses to throw a consistent charge. I works better for some powders than others. It just depends how tight you want your powder charge to be...i tend to try to keep 'em exact, but when running large batches i will allow 'em to be 1/10 gr off one way or the other.

The scale is a pain in the ass to read and easily bumped from your 1/10th gr. setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I would go with the Rockchucker first off, and start out with one caliber for one gun then get dies and supplies for others as you learn. If you can swing it maybe pick up 3 or maybe 4 presses as that will give you more flexibility in the future and you can set up the dies in a production line of sorts this way.

also, I didn't see it mentioned, but many people (myself included) do not use reloads for defensive ammo, we use factory loads only. It is far less likely for there to be a bad round in a box of Hornady critical defense (or what have you) than there is to be a mistake in your reloads. It is not a big deal at the range, only slightly more of a deal when hunting, but in an SD situation a ftfire can cost you your life. This having been said you can reload for practice rounds at the range, but when you load up for carry or HD, put factory loads in.
I just bought extra turret plates. I set up my dies for a particular caliber, then just pop the plate in and out when wanting to run a different caliber. I am set up to run 9mm, .357, .44 mag, 30-06, 35 rem, .223 on a moments notice. Just drop in the correct dies, dump the correct powder in the measure and away i go with minor hassel.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #16

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

Lee dies are GREAT. They are less expensive than other brands and perform the same exact function, the same exact way. The only difference is $$

The PM I have is finicky (or I am) it refuses to throw a consistent charge. I works better for some powders than others. It just depends how tight you want your powder charge to be...i tend to try to keep 'em exact, but when running large batches i will allow 'em to be 1/10 gr off one way or the other.

The scale is a pain in the ass to read and easily bumped from your 1/10th gr. setting.

I just bought extra turret plates. I set up my dies for a particular caliber, then just pop the plate in and out when wanting to run a different caliber. I am set up to run 9mm, .357, .44 mag, 30-06, 35 rem, .223 on a moments notice. Just drop in the correct dies, dump the correct powder in the measure and away i go with minor hassel.
What press do you have?

Old 12-11-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
fmj

Quote:
What press do you have?
Lee 3 hole turret press.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5692 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 378

I can only tell you what i use. I have an rcbs single stage and a dillon xl650. Ive used the rcbs pretty nonstop since 1989 and the dillon i bought in 1999. The single stage i prefer for rifle rounds when making very accurate ammo as its easier to use micrometer type seating dies. The dillon is great for cranking out plinking ammo especially handgun ammo.

The issue with any dispenser is the three main types of powder ball, flake, extruded. Ball powder meters very well but isnt generally as accurate a powder as extruded. Flake is the middle ground and measures decently. Extruded stick powder measures very very poorly and often has a discrepency of up to .4 or .5 grains. Thats a lot.

If im doing mass loadings of extruded powders i stay well below max charges to allow for overage and well above minimal charge to ward off just as dangerous under charges. It doesnt matter what measure you use extruded is just difficult and time consuming to get accurate +-.1 charge weights.

My opinion rcbs is the best choice if you cant get a dillon. Their customer after the sale service is on par with dillon's.

As for dies you need to do research on each as each maker has different little idiosynchosies(sp?). I generally prefer dillon dies but they dont work in most other presses. Secondly my preference is for rcbs then redding then lee. No real super reason why they all seem to function just fine except i hate the lee lock rings and replace them with dillon lock rings. I dont like the rubber washer thing they got going on.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2842 Times on 1412 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Quote:

The Lee Perfect Powder Measure is the one I have. (I have no experience with the Autodisk) It can be fussy. Accuracy with flake powders can vary. I found that I couldn't use Unique to an acceptable level of accuracy (for me.) +/- .3 to.5 gr is unacceptable with a 3.5 to 4.0 gr charge. In something with a 10 or 12 gr charge you will likely be fine. It did fine with Bullseye, AA#5 & 2400. IMHO, the design of the Lee PPM is pretty good. The execution is a bit lacking. It leaks with fine powders. Not a horrible thing, but annoying nonetheless. I would like to see the design done to a high standard, machined out of metal, with a decent micrometer design, then they would be on to something. The hopper design is well done. I like being able to shut it off & detach it.

The Lee scale is, IMHO, hard to use and hard to read. It's built to a price point and it shows. I used mine for an afternoon and that was enough. I bought a Redding scale. It just works better.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 12-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #20

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I have an RCBS press and hand priming tool. I used RCBS dies but had a lot of pins break so now I use lee.
My best investment was a Redding match universal powder drop.