One last reloading question. (I hope)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > One last reloading question. (I hope)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default One last reloading question. (I hope)

Here is the situation. (It's complicated)
I have decided to start reloading. I only have to the 17'th to pick out the equipment to buy. Another pice to the puzzle is I can only buy from the bass pro shop web sight. The kits they have are. Lee breech lock challenger kit (preferred bc it's cheapest I'm on a tight budget and the lee kit is under $200), Lyman crusher expert deluxe, Lyman t-mag expert deluxe, rcbs rock chucker supreme master, hornady lock-n-load classic.
Now before you say it and we all know someone was about to. "Read the stickies and the abcs of reloading" I have read the stickies. But I still have not figured out my answer. Maybe I over looked it or it just dint stick. (I made a joke lol). I ordered the abcs of reloading and it will arrive at my house on the 11th. Bad thing is I won't be home until the 13th. Then it's off to a weekend of hunting. Sadly this will be the only opportunity for me to hunt this year do to work. So calling it off to read the abcs is out of the question. So between now and the 17th I don't thank I am going to have time to read and understand the abcs. I will read and understand the abcs before I load tho. "Don't wont to blow my face off"

So I am hoping I can leave it to y'all to decide for me. Here are some things to help y'all help me.
1. I have never reloaded before and don't know anyone that dose.
2. I am decently but not perfectly mechanically inclined. (Read something about it in the stickies)
3. I try to get to the range at least once every 2 months. I work out of town 21 days straight then I come home for 7 days. So every 2 months is good for me. Wish I could go every other week but I can't.
4. I will be reloading for pistol and rifle.
5. Currently my reloading calibers are .45acp,. 223/5.56, 30-06, 30-30. But I will be adding others .40, 9mm, .357sig, 10mm, .357 mag/.38spl, .44mag/.44spl, 308, 45-70, 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel and anything elts I buy before I die.
6. I will be reloading for plinking, accuracy, carry ammo, hunting, long range (400 yards) and to stock up for SHTF. And any classes I might take.
7. I am not worried about speed. I will not be going through 500 rounds every weekend. So I can take my time loading.

Thanks for the help guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #2

Liked 2501 Times on 1123 Posts
Likes Given: 2408

I'll probably catch hell from the lee guys but buy anything but lee. I have equipment from Dillon, RCBS, Redding all good stuff I bought one set of lee dies sat them on the bench with all my other dies and the lee dies are the only ones that rust right before your eyes. Everybody is quick to say you get what you pay for about everything else and it's no different with reloading equipment.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I would purchase the rcbs kit. It comes with a ton of stuff to help you get started and the rock chucker is a great single stage. Since your not worried about speed get that. Later down the road you can upgrade to a dillon 550 to crank some rounds out.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Oh and the comment on lee dies are correct. They do get surface rust if left in press but it is easily wiped off and when I'm not using a set ill throw them in a ziplock. They work well for the money. I've got 1500 rounds through my 45 dies and haven't had an issue yet.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2824 Times on 1403 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I'll probably catch hell from the lee guys but buy anything but lee. I have equipment from Dillon, RCBS, Redding all good stuff I bought one set of lee dies sat them on the bench with all my other dies and the lee dies are the only ones that rust right before your eyes. Everybody is quick to say you get what you pay for about everything else and it's no different with reloading equipment.
I have Lee & Redding equipment. There is nothing wrong with the Lee presses. I have a Challenger and a Classic Turret. They work fine. Admittedly, the Lee Scale & Lee PPM are a bit of a challenge, but they will work. They are a bit of a pain though. I replaced them with Redding products when I got around to it. As for Lee Dies rusting? My Hornady dies have a bigger rust issue (minor) than my Lee dies (none). I don't do anything but clean them with brake cleaner now & again.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #6

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have 7 loading presses set up at this time. I have presses stored going back over many decades. I just can not pass up a loading press deal. I have Dillions, RCBS, Foresters, Mecs, Holly Wood, Old Texans, Lymans Etc. I was in Cabelas down in Utah last month. They had a deal on the LEE turret auto index press. I bought the little orphan and mounted it on the bench. Well after a number of hours and lots of cuss words it is working. I really like the little press for small runs of test loads. I would think it would be great for some one new to reloading.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 971 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

For your hunting rifle needs the Rock Chucker will be your best bet. You learn to learn in batches and have better control over the process. YOu can also you it for pistol ammo..But where it does get tedious is with the long runs of pistol ammo or .223 ammo. So it becomes a gretter time commitment on your paert.

I dont know if this falls into your financial options,but...
The Lee classic 4 hiole Turret gives you the best of both worlds It will handle your hunting ammo as a single stage if you wish, then you can enguage the turret for pistol ammo runs (a couple of hundred rounds an hour is doable on the this Turret.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5698 Times on 3222 Posts
Likes Given: 5106

700 rounds per hour is doable on a Dillon 650!

And it will do rifle as well as pistol=======================================

Nitestalker-- I too have a Texan press. it was my first. I didn't know anyone even remembered them!

Do you remember Bair presses made in Nebraska???? I've always regretted not getting their very heavy Kodiak model. It was an awesome press.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #9

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have never had dies if any type rust. but they are well cared for.

Chances are, that if you are going the budget route to get into it. The lee will do you just fine. I am sure that I you like the hobby, you will eventually move up to a progressive of some sort. Even then, you will still find that lee single stage useful for small batches and fine tuning.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5698 Times on 3222 Posts
Likes Given: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
I have never had dies if any type rust. but they are well cared for.

Chances are, that if you are going the budget route to get into it. The lee will do you just fine. I am sure that I you like the hobby, you will eventually move up to a progressive of some sort. Even then, you will still find that lee single stage useful for small batches and fine tuning.
I've had Dillons for over 30 years. But I still find uses for my old Texan and my Lyman "Orange Crusher."

Winston Churchill