Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Once Ammo Is Available Again, Will You Stock Up Better In The Future?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #121
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8044 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 10380

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
If you shoot a quarter of a million rounds per month, then your million round stockpile will only last four months. That doesn't seem like "a bit much" to me.

Many people stockpile enough to shoot for a year.
Yeah. Good catch. I have a storage capacity though.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #122
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2984 Times on 2032 Posts
Likes Given: 632

I think you all hit the"nail on the head"! It really depends on how often you shoot! Mz. Green & Would LIKE to shoot 1x per week but we have to be a little practical with her Health being an issue now(and mine already somewhat weaker then it used to be) we're glad to go 2x per month, around other tasks we must accomplish. I know we want to go this weekend but we're planning for family to visit from back east, and my 24 Y.O. Niece wants to shoot ( her dist. on L.I. where she teaches passed an amendment to their teachers contract Allowing them to train and carry concealed), so she might want us to take her,..and they are shooting to get here a half day early,... Although they live in a nice area, her HS(where she & her sister also attended) has the highest Drug abuse rate, the highest drop out rate, and the most suicides in the past 5 years...But I digress. I don't buy Ammo for calibers I do not have or use anymore.
.40? Nope,...don't have any. .45ACP, Have some but do not shoot my .45's anymore...I did buy 4 boxes(2 sep, sales one to me & one to Mz. Green) to give 2 to a friend and store 2 JIC...but i had given away 500+ rds. of .45 already....9mm is a different story...I was as low as 650 total Rds. a few weeks ago,..but managed to get 2 bulk orders at reasonable cost,...plus a trip to NE Arizona and a GS in Payson where they have no trouble stocking and selling any Caliber except .22LR., But was able to get some .9 & .38 there as well...After I sweated out getting 500 extra .9's for the Handgun class and only used 300 of my own + 200 factory reloads from the range shop....well I'm up to about 1400 total now....Folks talk about stocking 5K & 10K of 1 caliber....i'd be happy to have 5K of 22LR and maybe 2K of .22Mag. and 1500 to 2K of everything else...I'm not shooting HP Rifles anymore either,..but keep them & the Ammo JIC....nice to be "Boy Scouts" right Guys?(and Ladies??).....I suppose next all the 12, 20, & 410. Gauge Self defense rounds will vanish off the shelfs...I managed to get 350 Remington Golden Sabers in .9mm plus 125 more in .38+P for DW...went back to ammo seek a week later to try and get more and those bulk packs were gone(and so was the 350 rd. Winchester white box ball ammo in ammo cans! glad I got 2!....now we're just looking for .32ACP/.380 ACP at normal prices....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 07-05-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #123

Default Stock up? U bet!

A. things ain't gonna get any better. I look for it to become like Egypt soon enuf

B. It's so bad that I finally have gotten out my ~25 yr old Dillon 550 multi-stage reloader and put it back into operation! I ran off my first batch of .38spl yesterday, after I finally got my daggone primer feeding problem solved.

Yeah...38spl. I thought it'd be easier to re-start with straight-walled revolver cases. Fortunately I had many 1000s of cleaned brass cases [of various calibers] left stored/sealed up from years ago when I reloaded regularly. Got some of them out and volia' they are still shiny and easy to work.
I'm gonna stock up on powder, primers and bullets and maybe some wheel weights too. Aaaaahhhh..semi-retired!

Old 07-07-2013, 03:07 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762
A. things ain't gonna get any better. I look for it to become like Egypt soon enuf

B. It's so bad that I finally have gotten out my ~25 yr old Dillon 550 multi-stage reloader and put it back into operation! I ran off my first batch of .38spl yesterday, after I finally got my daggone primer feeding problem solved.

Yeah...38spl. I thought it'd be easier to re-start with straight-walled revolver cases. Fortunately I had many 1000s of cleaned brass cases [of various calibers] left stored/sealed up from years ago when I reloaded regularly. Got some of them out and volia' they are still shiny and easy to work.
I'm gonna stock up on powder, primers and bullets and maybe some wheel weights too. Aaaaahhhh..semi-retired!
Wish I had one to "dig" out!! gave my Lyman to my cousin when I left NY...he also had my 2 safes for "safe-Keeping" until I got this house. When I opened the Smaller safe I found he had made me some Ammo,...about 500 Rds. of each caliber!!!

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 PM   #125

Liked 902 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
When I opened the Smaller safe I found he had made me some Ammo,...about 500 Rds. of each caliber!!!
It's like Christmas, but with a cooler box!!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter

It's like Christmas, but with a cooler box!!
Im just glad i remembered the codes for each one!!!!

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #127

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
I'm just glad i remembered the codes for each one!!!!
Just use the same code, it saves time and brain cells (LOL) that's what i do.

I am torn between saying yes and saying no. I have a good supply of loaded ammo and components. I never keep a large supply of bullets on hand, so yes I will resupply those to a larger extent when things get to normal.

Jim