Once Ammo Is Available Again, Will You Stock Up Better In The Future? - Page 12
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Once Ammo Is Available Again, Will You Stock Up Better In The Future?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

For 22lr, I'm not even beginning to be happy until I'm over 10,000 rounds. I'm afraid to shoot it up even now that I'm close...too close for comfort.

I think I'll need to find another case or two before I feel comfy enough to shoot some.

Love that Winchester 333/555, BTW, my favorite brand.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #112
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I will definitely be stocking up on my powder supplies and improving my storage capacity for powder and primers. I have nearly run out of H335 until my buddy gave me a spare 8 pounder he had. He said I can replace it for him when it is available again.

I have a substantial supply set aside, and I have sold a lot of it to friends who ran out. I don't charge them what the stores are charging, but it is more than what I paid for it. They know I am making a bit on it and they are OK with that. all of the stuff I have sold doesn't shoot well in my guns anyhow and the people who are buying it don't care as much about accuracy, so we are all happy. Paying it forward so to speak.

I do have a number of neighbors who are very interested in reloading, and since I am all set up they will come over and use my equipment and they leave me with supplies, or sometimes they buy or trade the supplies from my what I have around. We are getting set up for casting too. I do need some brass though. And I am interested in making my own jackets for .224 using spent .22 rimfire brass. That would be a slick setup to have!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #113
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris
For 22lr, I'm not even beginning to be happy until I'm over 10,000 rounds. I'm afraid to shoot it up even now that I'm close...too close for comfort.

I think I'll need to find another case or two before I feel comfy enough to shoot some.

Love that Winchester 333/555, BTW, my favorite brand.
We also get them in 100 rd packs for $11.99 at the Range Shop....
I have about 600 loose Winchesters, Westerns, and CCI's,..then the boxes...2 333's, 3-100 CCi's, and the 525 Federals we got today...so that gives me almost 1500 boxed in storage....More of that then any other Caliber I have except my .9mm's...which i think we have around 1400 all total between Ball & SD/HD ammo...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #114

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 127

For me it's not really stocking up as much as replacing some of the stock I used during the shortage. I had already stockpiled plenty before the unfortunate event last December but used some of my supply during the shortage of the past six months. Luckily, the supplies have started getting back to normal for a while and most of the stuff I used has been replaced.

I'll still probably add a box or two every payday for a few moths to add to my stock, but that's more of a "nice to have a little extra" thing rather than rebuilding the stores.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders
For me it's not really stocking up as much as replacing some of the stock I used during the shortage. I had already stockpiled plenty before the unfortunate event last December but used some of my supply during the shortage of the past six months. Luckily, the supplies have started getting back to normal for a while and most of the stuff I used has been replaced.

I'll still probably add a box or two every payday for a few moths to add to my stock, but that's more of a "nice to have a little extra" thing rather than rebuilding the stores.
I'm trying to do the same thing(every other payday tho) but this time i'm going to my buddy the local "reloader Man"...also managed to collect 200 pcs. of brass for .9 and 150 for .38/.357..What do you all think/Feel about using a "reloader" if you don't hand load(or in my case, not anymore)?

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 07-04-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I'm trying to do the same thing(every other payday tho) but this time i'm going to my buddy the local "reloader Man"...also managed to collect 200 pcs. of brass for .9 and 150 for .38/.357..What do you all think/Feel about using a "reloader" if you don't hand load(or in my case, not anymore)?
There are legal issues if your buddy is reloading for sale. That is manufacturing and requires an FFL. If you are sharing equipment and pooling supplies that is different though. Also he opens himself up to liability issues, but I digress. As long as you trust him and he hasn't screwed up yet I guess you are good to go!

Old 07-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

There are legal issues if your buddy is reloading for sale. That is manufacturing and requires an FFL. If you are sharing equipment and pooling supplies that is different though. Also he opens himself up to liability issues, but I digress. As long as you trust him and he hasn't screwed up yet I guess you are good to go!
Thanks. I'm aware. I have known him almost since the day i got out here to Az. and yes he has an FFL...

Old 07-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #118

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In reading through this thread the obvious question is, Would you stockpile ammo if it were readily available at reasonable prices? Next question, Is ammo not available because we are stockpiling?
If we answer yes to both questions then aren't we just shooting ourselves in the foot? As we drive up prices and reduce availability, we get even more into stockpiling. We have to work hard at procuring ammo and then feel lousy about actaully using any. I'm in this same boat as I like to shoot a few times a week. How do we change our behavior? When is enough, enough?

Old 07-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
In reading through this thread the obvious question is, Would you stockpile ammo if it were readily available at reasonable prices? Next question, Is ammo not available because we are stockpiling?
If we answer yes to both questions then aren't we just shooting ourselves in the foot? As we drive up prices and reduce availability, we get even more into stockpiling. We have to work hard at procuring ammo and then feel lousy about actaully using any. I'm in this same boat as I like to shoot a few times a week. How do we change our behavior? When is enough, enough?
When supplies are plentiful then purchasing more than you are using is not going to deplete the supply measurably, unless you are buying the store shelves empty every time you go in.

Right now, yes, people are affecting the supply by buying store shelves empty when it comes in. Thus the need for limits on how much one person can buy at a given store. Right now we are experiencing what you describe.

When things turn around, prices will drop and supplies will be plentiful again so it will be impractical (and enormously expensive) to buy the shelves bare. I think that in that case, stockpiling for me would consist of buying double of what I am using, setting aside the portion that I do not need immediately. Over time I would be using the older stock and replacing it with new to keep it "fresh".

As to "hoarding", that is not what many of us are doing. That is unless you are buying up supplies of things that you have no use for. In the case of ammo, if I were to be buying up supplies of 9mm, I would be hoarding because I do not have anything that uses that caliber.

On the other hand, when I buy .40S&W and store it away it is a stockpile, because I shoot that regularly. Any amount I stockpile is up to me and limited by my storage capacity. Of course there is a practical limit where it would be exhibiting a problem on your part. If you are stockpiling a million rounds yet you only shoot 250,000 a month then it might be a bit much.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #120
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

If you are stockpiling a million rounds yet you only shoot 250,000 a month then it might be a bit much.
If you shoot a quarter of a million rounds per month, then your million round stockpile will only last four months. That doesn't seem like "a bit much" to me.

Many people stockpile enough to shoot for a year.