Once Ammo Is Available Again, Will You Stock Up Better In The Future? - Page 12
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Once Ammo Is Available Again, Will You Stock Up Better In The Future?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CHLChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 2,523
Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

For 22lr, I'm not even beginning to be happy until I'm over 10,000 rounds. I'm afraid to shoot it up even now that I'm close...too close for comfort.

I think I'll need to find another case or two before I feel comfy enough to shoot some.

Love that Winchester 333/555, BTW, my favorite brand.
__________________
.45acp, .40 S&W, 9mm, .38 Spl, .380 acp, 22lr
12 gauge, .223/5.56x45mm, 30-30 Winchester


2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
CHLChris is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #112
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

I will definitely be stocking up on my powder supplies and improving my storage capacity for powder and primers. I have nearly run out of H335 until my buddy gave me a spare 8 pounder he had. He said I can replace it for him when it is available again.

I have a substantial supply set aside, and I have sold a lot of it to friends who ran out. I don't charge them what the stores are charging, but it is more than what I paid for it. They know I am making a bit on it and they are OK with that. all of the stuff I have sold doesn't shoot well in my guns anyhow and the people who are buying it don't care as much about accuracy, so we are all happy. Paying it forward so to speak.

I do have a number of neighbors who are very interested in reloading, and since I am all set up they will come over and use my equipment and they leave me with supplies, or sometimes they buy or trade the supplies from my what I have around. We are getting set up for casting too. I do need some brass though. And I am interested in making my own jackets for .224 using spent .22 rimfire brass. That would be a slick setup to have!
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:11 AM   #113
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris
For 22lr, I'm not even beginning to be happy until I'm over 10,000 rounds. I'm afraid to shoot it up even now that I'm close...too close for comfort.

I think I'll need to find another case or two before I feel comfy enough to shoot some.

Love that Winchester 333/555, BTW, my favorite brand.
We also get them in 100 rd packs for $11.99 at the Range Shop....
I have about 600 loose Winchesters, Westerns, and CCI's,..then the boxes...2 333's, 3-100 CCi's, and the 525 Federals we got today...so that gives me almost 1500 boxed in storage....More of that then any other Caliber I have except my .9mm's...which i think we have around 1400 all total between Ball & SD/HD ammo...
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #114
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rachilders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 344
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Default

For me it's not really stocking up as much as replacing some of the stock I used during the shortage. I had already stockpiled plenty before the unfortunate event last December but used some of my supply during the shortage of the past six months. Luckily, the supplies have started getting back to normal for a while and most of the stuff I used has been replaced.

I'll still probably add a box or two every payday for a few moths to add to my stock, but that's more of a "nice to have a little extra" thing rather than rebuilding the stores.
__________________
"... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane
rachilders is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #115
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders
For me it's not really stocking up as much as replacing some of the stock I used during the shortage. I had already stockpiled plenty before the unfortunate event last December but used some of my supply during the shortage of the past six months. Luckily, the supplies have started getting back to normal for a while and most of the stuff I used has been replaced.

I'll still probably add a box or two every payday for a few moths to add to my stock, but that's more of a "nice to have a little extra" thing rather than rebuilding the stores.
I'm trying to do the same thing(every other payday tho) but this time i'm going to my buddy the local "reloader Man"...also managed to collect 200 pcs. of brass for .9 and 150 for .38/.357..What do you all think/Feel about using a "reloader" if you don't hand load(or in my case, not anymore)?
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 07-04-2013 at 09:00 AM.
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #116
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
I'm trying to do the same thing(every other payday tho) but this time i'm going to my buddy the local "reloader Man"...also managed to collect 200 pcs. of brass for .9 and 150 for .38/.357..What do you all think/Feel about using a "reloader" if you don't hand load(or in my case, not anymore)?
There are legal issues if your buddy is reloading for sale. That is manufacturing and requires an FFL. If you are sharing equipment and pooling supplies that is different though. Also he opens himself up to liability issues, but I digress. As long as you trust him and he hasn't screwed up yet I guess you are good to go!
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #117
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,039
Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

There are legal issues if your buddy is reloading for sale. That is manufacturing and requires an FFL. If you are sharing equipment and pooling supplies that is different though. Also he opens himself up to liability issues, but I digress. As long as you trust him and he hasn't screwed up yet I guess you are good to go!
Thanks. I'm aware. I have known him almost since the day i got out here to Az. and yes he has an FFL...
__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #118
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
flybuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Fort Myers
Posts: 184
Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

In reading through this thread the obvious question is, Would you stockpile ammo if it were readily available at reasonable prices? Next question, Is ammo not available because we are stockpiling?
If we answer yes to both questions then aren't we just shooting ourselves in the foot? As we drive up prices and reduce availability, we get even more into stockpiling. We have to work hard at procuring ammo and then feel lousy about actaully using any. I'm in this same boat as I like to shoot a few times a week. How do we change our behavior? When is enough, enough?
flybuddy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #119
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
In reading through this thread the obvious question is, Would you stockpile ammo if it were readily available at reasonable prices? Next question, Is ammo not available because we are stockpiling?
If we answer yes to both questions then aren't we just shooting ourselves in the foot? As we drive up prices and reduce availability, we get even more into stockpiling. We have to work hard at procuring ammo and then feel lousy about actaully using any. I'm in this same boat as I like to shoot a few times a week. How do we change our behavior? When is enough, enough?
When supplies are plentiful then purchasing more than you are using is not going to deplete the supply measurably, unless you are buying the store shelves empty every time you go in.

Right now, yes, people are affecting the supply by buying store shelves empty when it comes in. Thus the need for limits on how much one person can buy at a given store. Right now we are experiencing what you describe.

When things turn around, prices will drop and supplies will be plentiful again so it will be impractical (and enormously expensive) to buy the shelves bare. I think that in that case, stockpiling for me would consist of buying double of what I am using, setting aside the portion that I do not need immediately. Over time I would be using the older stock and replacing it with new to keep it "fresh".

As to "hoarding", that is not what many of us are doing. That is unless you are buying up supplies of things that you have no use for. In the case of ammo, if I were to be buying up supplies of 9mm, I would be hoarding because I do not have anything that uses that caliber.

On the other hand, when I buy .40S&W and store it away it is a stockpile, because I shoot that regularly. Any amount I stockpile is up to me and limited by my storage capacity. Of course there is a practical limit where it would be exhibiting a problem on your part. If you are stockpiling a million rounds yet you only shoot 250,000 a month then it might be a bit much.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #120
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

If you are stockpiling a million rounds yet you only shoot 250,000 a month then it might be a bit much.
If you shoot a quarter of a million rounds per month, then your million round stockpile will only last four months. That doesn't seem like "a bit much" to me.

Many people stockpile enough to shoot for a year.
__________________
Always have clean socks.
JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Ammo in stock? Bravo_Sixx Ammunition & Reloading 10 04-13-2013 02:39 AM
In stock ammo NC1760 In Stock 0 03-27-2013 11:35 PM
Stock pile ammo jrobbins59 Cleaning and Maintenance 2 10-25-2012 04:29 PM
Stock up ammo 5.56 tenntyrant AR-15 Discussion 14 04-23-2012 05:27 AM
Best ammo for a stock ruger 10/22 forever27 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 6 04-21-2012 12:39 AM



Newest Threads