Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Once Ammo Is Available Again, Will You Stock Up Better In The Future?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Default Once Ammo Is Available Again, Will You Stock Up Better In The Future?

I kept a large supply of ammo, through this and the last ammo shortage. I tend to do that with everything. I don't buy paper towels, I buy cases of paper towels.

I did not go through the Great Depression, but I do follow concepts written between the lines of history books.

In the future, will this ammo shortage, change the way you supply yourself with ammo?

The way I have always purchased ammo, if I think I will use a box, I buy ten boxes, and put away what I don't need. Next time I need ammo, I might use what I have, or if I am near the store, I buy more than I need again.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1781 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Since I moved back into shooting after a long hiatus (7+) years I'll use my older ammo and then set up a restocking plan as I go along.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Last edited by DFlynt; 05-11-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #3

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

I do the same thing, bathroom items get bought annually, and the like. Thats partially because of how much i work though i would say, 80+ hours a week and shopping? Aint nobody got time for that...

Ammo wise, i heard of the onset and went a week later to the LGS and dropped $1000 and my car was a low rider on the way home

Old 05-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2426 Times on 1426 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

Other than stocking a little more .22lr, I'll just continue to replace what I shoot.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 05-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #5

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Damn straight I'll be staying better stocked. This is my first shortage as a shooter. I've always had guns around but rarely shot that much. I always had on hand what I needed, a couple handfuls of .22, a box or two of shotgun shells, and a box or so of .357 magnum.

Being that I shoot more now then I ever have before, this shortage effected me way more than ever. Yes, I'll be keeping a good stock. My goal is a few thousand rounds total. It'll take me a while to get there, because I don't have much disposable income, but once I get what I'm comfortable with, I'll be only replacing what I shoot, or buying one extra box at a time on occasion.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
I kept a large supply of ammo, through this and the last ammo shortage. I tend to do that with everything. I don't buy paper towels, I buy cases of paper towels.

I did not go through the Great Depression, but I do follow concepts written between the lines of history books.

In the future, will this ammo shortage, change the way you supply yourself with ammo?

The way I have always purchased ammo, if I think I will use a box, I buy ten boxes, and put away what I don't need. Next time I need ammo, I might use what I have, or if I am near the store, I buy more than I need again.
I am already there and in complete concurrence with your point.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #7

Liked 813 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 496

Yer damn skippy I will! As it turns out, just by chance, I was left with a good supply. 4-500 22MAG and 17HMR, 900 22LR, 5-600 9MM & 40 S&W. Also, as it turns out, I don't feel this is enough. This summer, I will probably not be shooting anything I can't replace. If I KNEW it was going to return, no prob, but I don't. So if it does, I will have me a saggy spot in the house somewhere.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #8

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

I am a reloader. And I buy everything in bulk. I still have an unopened brick of each type of primer that I use. I also have a couple pounds of each type of powder. I mold my own bullets. I could have gone for years without buying anything if I had to. Reloading is just a hobby. But I started I learned ways to make better ammo. So I started using the really good stuff that I make. But as I got better my mediocre stuff got stockpiled without even realizing it. I have thousands of rounds that are just sitting there. It is good ammo. But it is not as good as the stuff I make today.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 297 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I do the same thing minus the casting my own. Everytime I stop in I pickup a 500 box of lead bullets or another couple pounds of powder. I reload lead in 4 calibers. Been putting Berry's away. I've been lucky to have a great LGS for relading supply. I have atleast 3,000-5,000 primers for everything but magnum. All bought since December. My thing right now is buying once-fired brass and storing it away and .224/.308 bullets.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #10

Liked 2392 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Yer damn skippy I will! As it turns out, just by chance, I was left with a good supply. 4-500 22MAG and 17HMR, 900 22LR, 5-600 9MM & 40 S&W. Also, as it turns out, I don't feel this is enough. This summer, I will probably not be shooting anything I can't replace. If I KNEW it was going to return, no prob, but I don't. So if it does, I will have me a saggy spot in the house somewhere.
Ya damn skippy #2...