Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Once Ammo Is Available Again, Will You Stock Up Better In The Future? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/once-ammo-available-again-will-you-stock-up-better-future-90491/)

AR10 05-11-2013 09:27 AM

Once Ammo Is Available Again, Will You Stock Up Better In The Future?

I kept a large supply of ammo, through this and the last ammo shortage. I tend to do that with everything. I don't buy paper towels, I buy cases of paper towels.

I did not go through the Great Depression, but I do follow concepts written between the lines of history books.

In the future, will this ammo shortage, change the way you supply yourself with ammo?

The way I have always purchased ammo, if I think I will use a box, I buy ten boxes, and put away what I don't need. Next time I need ammo, I might use what I have, or if I am near the store, I buy more than I need again.

DFlynt 05-11-2013 09:43 AM

Since I moved back into shooting after a long hiatus (7+) years I'll use my older ammo and then set up a restocking plan as I go along.

ZombieBrawler 05-11-2013 10:34 AM

I do the same thing, bathroom items get bought annually, and the like. Thats partially because of how much i work though i would say, 80+ hours a week and shopping? Aint nobody got time for that...

Ammo wise, i heard of the onset and went a week later to the LGS and dropped $1000 and my car was a low rider on the way home ;)

eatmydust 05-11-2013 10:46 AM

Other than stocking a little more .22lr, I'll just continue to replace what I shoot.

trip286 05-11-2013 11:17 AM

Damn straight I'll be staying better stocked. This is my first shortage as a shooter. I've always had guns around but rarely shot that much. I always had on hand what I needed, a couple handfuls of .22, a box or two of shotgun shells, and a box or so of .357 magnum.

Being that I shoot more now then I ever have before, this shortage effected me way more than ever. Yes, I'll be keeping a good stock. My goal is a few thousand rounds total. It'll take me a while to get there, because I don't have much disposable income, but once I get what I'm comfortable with, I'll be only replacing what I shoot, or buying one extra box at a time on occasion.

PanBaccha 05-11-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR10 (Post 1243363)
I kept a large supply of ammo, through this and the last ammo shortage. I tend to do that with everything. I don't buy paper towels, I buy cases of paper towels.

I did not go through the Great Depression, but I do follow concepts written between the lines of history books.

In the future, will this ammo shortage, change the way you supply yourself with ammo?

The way I have always purchased ammo, if I think I will use a box, I buy ten boxes, and put away what I don't need. Next time I need ammo, I might use what I have, or if I am near the store, I buy more than I need again.

I am already there and in complete concurrence with your point.

clr8ter 05-11-2013 12:10 PM

Yer damn skippy I will! As it turns out, just by chance, I was left with a good supply. 4-500 22MAG and 17HMR, 900 22LR, 5-600 9MM & 40 S&W. Also, as it turns out, I don't feel this is enough. This summer, I will probably not be shooting anything I can't replace. If I KNEW it was going to return, no prob, but I don't. So if it does, I will have me a saggy spot in the house somewhere.:D

Rick1967 05-11-2013 12:45 PM

I am a reloader. And I buy everything in bulk. I still have an unopened brick of each type of primer that I use. I also have a couple pounds of each type of powder. I mold my own bullets. I could have gone for years without buying anything if I had to. Reloading is just a hobby. But I started I learned ways to make better ammo. So I started using the really good stuff that I make. But as I got better my mediocre stuff got stockpiled without even realizing it. I have thousands of rounds that are just sitting there. It is good ammo. But it is not as good as the stuff I make today.

aandabooks 05-11-2013 01:00 PM

I do the same thing minus the casting my own. Everytime I stop in I pickup a 500 box of lead bullets or another couple pounds of powder. I reload lead in 4 calibers. Been putting Berry's away. I've been lucky to have a great LGS for relading supply. I have atleast 3,000-5,000 primers for everything but magnum. All bought since December. My thing right now is buying once-fired brass and storing it away and .224/.308 bullets.

therewolf 05-11-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter (Post 1243422)
Yer damn skippy I will! As it turns out, just by chance, I was left with a good supply. 4-500 22MAG and 17HMR, 900 22LR, 5-600 9MM & 40 S&W. Also, as it turns out, I don't feel this is enough. This summer, I will probably not be shooting anything I can't replace. If I KNEW it was going to return, no prob, but I don't. So if it does, I will have me a saggy spot in the house somewhere.:D

Ya damn skippy #2...;)