Ok now what? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Ok now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
One other thing I thought of last night. (had trouble getting to sleep, so I was thinking about weird things like this)

.30-30 rifles have slightly "springy" actions. Perhaps the cases were stretched a bit, and thinned at some point. (This is a common problem with .303 British rifles)

If this is "range pick up" brass, inspect all cases for a shiny "ring" forward of the case head.

Even if you are successful at reloading it, it may separate on firing.
I'll do that. Even more reason to pick up the broken shell extractor Jon mentioned. Thanks. I think I'll shot this batch in my Contender to give it more support.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 03-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3393 Posts
Likes Given: 5601

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
I'll do that. Even more reason to pick up the broken shell extractor Jon mentioned. Thanks. I think I'll shot this batch in my Contender to give it more support.

A broken shell extractor to a reloader is like an eraser is to an architect. If you're careful, you may never need it. But if you evrn do need it, you need it badly.

Winston Churchill
303tom Likes This 
Old 03-16-2014, 01:31 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
A broken shell extractor to a reloader is like an eraser is to an architect. If you're careful, you may never need it. But if you evrn do need it, you need it badly.
I never could figure out why they didn't put "white out" in spray cans. Crap, we probably have members young enough to not remember erasers or white out.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

You might want one for the 30-30...

I keep one in 308 in my scar buttstock as you never know and it takes like 2 secs to get it out slap it in and extract.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ok I got one ordered for .308 and 223. I didn' see one at brownell for the 30-30 but the .308 should work on the press and die if not a 30-30 gun. I do have several 7.62x51/.308 guns so will have it for those.

303tom Likes This 
Old 03-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1277 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 1314

Quote:
Ok I got one ordered for .308 and 223. I didn' see one at brownell for the 30-30 but the .308 should work on the press and die if not a 30-30 gun. I do have several 7.62x51/.308 guns so will have it for those.

Well the .30-30 is a 7.62x51R..............

When all else fails.

Old 03-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:

while the bolt's extractor wont engage the base of the extractor you CAN stick the thing up into the chamber of the rifle and engage the rim and use a brass rod to hammer it out gently.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Well the .30-30 is a 7.62x51R..............
Well I'll be darned. I guess I'm not too old to learn something new.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
while the bolt's extractor wont engage the base of the extractor you CAN stick the thing up into the chamber of the rifle and engage the rim and use a brass rod to hammer it out gently.
I figuerd as long it would grab the case at least there would be something to get ahold of. Btw I did get my Dillon 550B back while I was gone and it is like new. Will try to get it set back up tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #30
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Well I'll be darned. I guess I'm not too old to learn something new.

While the case is a 30cal by 51mm long the important part, the rims, are different. 308 is smaller diameter at .4728". While 30-30 is .506". While you can use the 308 extractor in a 30-30 you will have to tap it out with a rod from the muzzle. For the stuck shell in the die just use a 308 shell holder stick the the extractor in the holder run it up into the die then down and out.