Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > OK....which Dies would you buy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Every Hornady redding and RCBS dies crimps unless you set it not to. It is not a whole lot of crimp sut enough to make sure things are correct.
That's a roll crimp you're referring to, not a taper crimp. All seating dies will apply a roll crimp if adjusted down enough. The Lee Factory crimp die is a taper crimp. The difference is a roll crimp canot be applied to a bullet not having a cannelure, a taper crimp can. Also a roll crimp should NEVER be used on cases which headspace on the case mouth. The Lee factory crimp die is equipped with a carbide sizing ring, which sizes the cartridge again after the final crimping, as well as applying the correct style of crimp. This eliminates any bulges or out-of-roundness. I've never had a problem with anything I own made by Lee - I have broken decapping pins, but that has always been my fault - trying to decap crimped-in primers with the standard die instead of a hardened decapping tool (which Lee sells and I now own). I would stay away from their scales, powder measures, and ram-prime system because for powder measuring & weighing I prefer the accuracy and quality of Redding, but for priming nothing beats the Lee Auto Prime tool which I have used for almost 20 years. The Ram-Prime uses the compound leverage of the reloading press, and IMO that's not good for seating primers, which should be done by "feel".
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 04-25-2009 at 01:39 PM.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

As you can see we all do not see eye to eye on this. I know RL and trust his judgment. There are a lot of reloader's on here. I go by what I have seen and done. So does RL and everyone else.

What you need to do is go to the local store and look at the dies and then pick the ones you want. They are all dies they all do the same thing. If you want to spend $200 on dies then do it. If you want to spend a little as you can because you are not sure you are going to like reloading rifle and pistol ammo then get the lowest cost ones you can find (Not always Lee dies).

reloading is like cars no one likes the same exact thing as the next person does.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I also have used mostly Lee products, from over 20 different calibers of dies, presses, bullet molds, powder measures, and lead pots. Never, ever a single problem. Have reloaded over 50,000 rounds in the last 12 years. One set of RCBS dies and one set of Lyman. Not impressed and paid twice as much, and still had to buy a shell holder. The Lee factory crimp die is the best crimp die available, and won't crush the shell if you try to crimp too hard. I'm sure Hornady equipment is good, but I have never had any reason to look any where else for equipment. For me, Lee has never let me down, and the best price.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

CPTango is correct - it's more personal preferrence than anything else. I also own Hornady and RCBS dies but never use them because they take more time to set-up and accomplish the same thing. SHOEZ is correct in that Lee is reputable and cheaper. IMO you can't get a better deal than Lee, but if you want top of the line dies for competition, get Redding if you can afford $80+ for a two-die set. Redding powder measures are the best in the world - and expensive! You get what you pay for, but it's not necessary to spend a lot to get good results.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 04-26-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #15

Thx guys....certainly a wide view of dies....thought most would agree, but see many differing opinions. Helpful though.

Jim

Old 04-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #16

I use the bushing style Redding dies primarily, but also have dies for a couple of different cartridges from Forster Precision and Wilson. I prefer the bushing style dies for obvious reasons.

Mike McIntyre
VP Operations
MPI Rifles, LLC
www.mpirifles.com

Old 05-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Die choice?

Most reloaders, with a lot of handloads under their press will usually agree that you get what you pay for. I started with some Lee dies, moved up to some RCBS dies, and moved up (as far as handgun dies) to Dillon Dies. I still use Lee decap dies, and their Factory Crimp Dies. RCBS for most rifle loads. Dillon Dies for most handgun loads. I think each handloader has the systems that work best for them.

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 AM   #18

Default I have a question for our experienced reloaders?

I just purchased a Lee Breech lock challenger kit, mainly because it was affordable and I like the idea of checking a case or round after every step. But every time I go to flare the bullet seat (which it is supposed to do in the decapping process) it pushes the deprimer pin (which also has the flareing area built in) back out of the dye. I tightened it so tight once that I almost didn't get it loose. But it still pushes it out the top. Could I please get some advice from someone who knows about this. It's the die set for the .270 Win. Lee Pace Setter dies. And yes sir I am new to the whole reloading bit. Thank you and God Bless.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

PM sent..........