Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Odd Ball .223 Rem (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/odd-ball-223-rem-38666/)

Justen.223 02-19-2011 03:02 AM

Odd Ball .223 Rem
 
3 Attachment(s)
Buddy of mine came by a couple days ago after a trip to the range. As usual, he grabs whatever loose brass that's laying around for me use. He scored big for me this go around, and brought by tons off brass including around 200-250 of .223 rem. So this evening, I decided to punch out 100 rounds. Every thing going smooth for the first few until I spot a case with a short shoulder. At first I just pitch it in the "junk brass" bucket and go on, then another, then another then another, and whoa....whats going on here..... So I meticulously dig through them all and low and behold there are exactly 20 rounds of this brass that just aint normal. The overall length is .025" shorter, and the shoulder is at a more flat angle than typical. Probably around 18 degrees. Neck length is normal. Below is a pic of one of these "odd balls" next to a typical. Both are clearly stamp F C 223 REM.

Any thoughts?

Gatekeeper 02-19-2011 03:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justen.223 (Post 448589)
Buddy of mine came by a couple days ago after a trip to the range. As usual, he grabs whatever loose brass that's laying around for me use. He scored big for me this go around, and brought by tons off brass including around 200-250 of .223 rem. So this evening, I decided to punch out 100 rounds. Every thing going smooth for the first few until I spot a case with a short shoulder. At first I just pitch it in the "junk brass" bucket and go on, then another, then another then another, and whoa....whats going on here..... So I meticulously dig through them all and low and behold there are exactly 20 rounds of this brass that just aint normal. The overall length is .025" shorter, and the shoulder is at a more flat angle than typical. Probably around 18 degrees. Neck length is normal. Below is a pic of one of these "odd balls" next to a typical. Both are clearly stamp F C 223 REM.

Any thoughts?

Looks like it could be a .223 Ackley Improved to me.
223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide

Justen.223 02-19-2011 03:28 AM

I do believe you have clearly discovered what I obviously couldn't. Per the listed specs. this is it.

Thanks a ton.

I guess the next question is what to do with the brass? My press and dies don't like them.

Gatekeeper 02-19-2011 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justen.223 (Post 448614)
I do believe you have clearly discovered what I obviously couldn't. Per the listed specs. this is it.

Thanks a ton.

I guess the next question is what to do with the brass? My press and dies don't like them.

Give 'em away to someone with a 223 AI, build an AI to shoot them out of or just toss 'em in the Scrap bucket.:D

Justen.223 02-19-2011 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper (Post 448615)
Give 'em away to someone with a 223 AI, build an AI to shoot them out of or just toss 'em in the Scrap bucket.:D

Sounds like a justifiable reason to me to build one, know to convince the wife. "But honey, I have this brass laying around that I have to use up!" :D
She'll never bite though...

robocop10mm 02-19-2011 01:55 PM

Gate nailed it before I saw the thread. Congrats Gate on beating the "Thread Killer" to the punch!

As far as restoring it... You could aneal the neck/shoulder and resize it. Once anealed, your die will not balk so bad at it. On the other hand .223 brass is plentiful enough to just scrap it, it is only 20 pieces so it is not a big deal.

I have never known anyone who owned a .223 AI so it is not very common.

culdee 02-19-2011 04:33 PM

odd 223
 
Just a word of warning for using range brass. Having picked up all my 223 brass at the range I ran it through my reloader and stuck it in my range bag. Next time out I had one heck of a jam, FTF. Finally jacked the round out and stuck it in my bag to check out later. Imagine my surprise when I looked at the head stamp and found it was a 222 round! Must have been from a prior shooter and happened to be where my brass was landing. It had fed through the dies just fine and even seated the bullet with no problem. Now I check every case I pick up.

Sniper03 02-19-2011 06:16 PM

Justen,

Being the weapon addicts that most of us are here on FTF! Having a whole 20 rounds of 223 AI brass would certainly constitute justification to build one!
:D What do you think!

03

M14sRock 02-19-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 448906)
Justen,

Being the weapon addicts that most of us are here on FTF! Having a whole 20 rounds of 223 AI brass would certainly constitute justification to build one!
:D What do you think!

03

This logic is infallible.

My shooting partner just had his Rem700 Varmint rebarrelled from .223Rem to .223AI. It now wears a PacNor 18", and is "on the truck" back from the GS as I write this.

Justen.223 02-19-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 448906)
Justen,

Being the weapon addicts that most of us are here on FTF! Having a whole 20 rounds of 223 AI brass would certainly constitute justification to build one!
:D What do you think!

03

I just showed the the wife, rolling her eyes, she states "You them them guys they ain't helping matters, you need another gun like I need new shoes" :rolleyes:
My response..."heels or athletic?"

I couldn't help but laugh hysterically :cool:


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.