Nu finish car polish
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Nu finish car polish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Nu finish car polish

So I seen a tip on youtube about using nu finish car polish as an additive for polishing my spent cases and it appears to work really well.. Saved me some money and time as I could buy it at walmart.. Just a cap full in 2lbs of media did the trick for me.. I did notice it gumped one case up a little.. But that is acceptable loss

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Drizzle the polish around on top of the media mix it up with a spoon and let it run about 15 min. before adding the brass and it want glob up on your cases.

While your at it throw in a couple strips of used dryer sheet to help keep your media cleaner it removes dust,dirt,flakes of brass and old carbon removed from the cases.

Last edited by res45; 05-27-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ok, excellent tip.. Do I need to put a little more polish each time to freshen up the media or one time add the polish and no more polish is needed until the media needs replacing

Old 05-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #4

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

What type of media are you using? I've tried most everything at one time or another, settling on ground corn cob for the most part. It's cheap enough that I just toss it if it gets too dark. I have found that not trying to push old media equates to a better polish with far less tumble time.

I tried the Nu Finish, but found I got much better results with the Dillon Rapid Polish. It has become my "go to" brass polish. Flitz also works very well on badly tarnished brass. I don't use Walnut because I don't let my brass get bad enough to require it. If I do wind up with a batch of really nasty looking brass, I'll wet tumble it with Stainless Steel Media, and it will come out looking like factory new brass, both inside and out.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #5

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I started out with a Cabelas vibrating cleaner, and I noticed that the polish looked and smelled amazingly like the polish I used on my pursuit truck. It was the NuFinish polish, and I began using it about 1998 or so, and have used it ever since. I would guess that the Cabelas polish is NuFinish repackaged in more profitable bottles.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwashere View Post
Ok, excellent tip.. Do I need to put a little more polish each time to freshen up the media or one time add the polish and no more polish is needed until the media needs replacing
I tumble about 200 cases at a time,initially I add about two cap full of polish to untreated cob media and don't add more polish till it take longer than about an hour to polish up the cases sometimes it last as long as four or five uses. Then I just about one cap full to replenish and repeat as necessary till the media become to dirty to use anymore.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt
What type of media are you using? I've tried most everything at one time or another, settling on ground corn cob for the most part. It's cheap enough that I just toss it if it gets too dark. I have found that not trying to push old media equates to a better polish with far less tumble time.

I tried the Nu Finish, but found I got much better results with the Dillon Rapid Polish. It has become my "go to" brass polish. Flitz also works very well on badly tarnished brass. I don't use Walnut because I don't let my brass get bad enough to require it. If I do wind up with a batch of really nasty looking brass, I'll wet tumble it with Stainless Steel Media, and it will come out looking like factory new brass, both inside and out.
Honestly, I just tried crush walnut from my local pet store.. It was lizard bedding and was $6.. And added the nu polish and that brass looks very good... Its cheap and cleans and polish at the same time.. I am really new to reloading but I can't imagine any thing else working much better.. I just followed the direction given by res just above this and my brass is pretty not to mention I noticed one cracked case I am sure o would have missed before.. And my brass cases had been setting out side for a while..like I said I an new to reloading so I just collected what I have been shooting over the past few weeks.. My point is the cases where as dirty a it gets.. And I cleaned them worth $6 media..

Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #8

Walnut is a little more abrasive and is better for cleaning dirty brass than corn cob,it just doesn't give you as much bling as corn cob but thats fine if your happy with the results.

Most of my brass doesn't get that dirty so it doesn't need any serious cleaning just a little touching up before loading.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #9

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwashere View Post
Honestly, I just tried crush walnut from my local pet store.. It was lizard bedding and was $6.. And added the nu polish and that brass looks very good... Its cheap and cleans and polish at the same time.. I am really new to reloading but I can't imagine any thing else working much better....
I'm not saying either Walnut, and or Nu Finish doesn't work. I have just found that after years of experimentation, it doesn't work as well as the Dillon Rapid Polish with a bit of Flitz added. Flitz is amazing stuff. It's not cheap, but a little goes a very long way. Here are 2,500, .223 cases that were filthy when I received them. This is what they looked like after polishing and case prepping with Dillon and Flitz.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23664/catid/8/Rapid_Polish_290__8_oz__Bottle_

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/769258/flitz-paste-metal-polish-2-lb-can?cm_vc=1544BrandPopProd

Nu finish car polish - Ammunition & Reloading