Not sure if this question can be answered...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Not sure if this question can be answered...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 457 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Not sure if this question can be answered...

Is there any type of calculator where you can plug in your powder, bullet weight and barrel length so that you can find the velocity and energy?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6752 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

if there is, its probably not very accurate, as there are too many variables with crimp, and headspace, etc

Best thing I'd imagine is to buy a chronograph and learn the math formula.
racer_x Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 457 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
if there is, its probably not very accurate, as there are too many variables with crimp, and headspace, etc

Best thing I'd imagine is to buy a chronograph and learn the math formula.
Any Idea how much a chronograph runs?

Old 05-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post
Any Idea how much a chronograph runs?
Depends on how new the battery is! lol

Old 05-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I couldn't help you with what is good or not in Chronographs, but basically 90 dollars and up.

Hopefully the guys will wake up out of their drunken stupor and chime in.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9482 Times on 5121 Posts
Likes Given: 19654

Handloads.com has some ballistics calculators.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1447 Times on 787 Posts
Likes Given: 814

Quickload.

http://www.6mmbr.com/quickload.html

http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6828 Times on 3631 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Thats not a good or safe way to determine the max pressure of a load.

Bullet construction as in how much bearing surface a bullet has also has an enourmous role in pressure.

When a powder/bullet maker puts out load data they are using pressure barrels to test with and even that is merely a very rough guidline for the handloader.

Handloading is called an art because no one has come up with a means of reliably determining what pressure level a given gun can take and then measuring the pressure to any real certainty.

What we instead do is go off experience by experimentation to find out exactly where guns will blowup then backoff the charge weights combine that with pressure barrels for testing and we end up with lots of known load data we can work from to develop "safe" loads for unknown untested cartridges.

I would be very hesitant to use any program that claims to tell you what pressure a given load is developing.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2344 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

It is very hard to 'blow up' a rifle. Pistols I have seen go boom several times. I had a friend who was using a Lee loader MANY years ago and he was loading a 270 with the measure for 4831. He was new at loading and not the brightest bulb in the batch so when he ran out of power he went to the local hardware store and ask for some powder. The clerk was not much better than he so when he ask what power he wanted he said it starts with a '4', so he bought 4227!
He loaded up 20 rounds with the 4227 using the 4831 (case capacity) measure and we went to the dump one weekend to shoot rats and whatever else we could and he let go with the first round. He was shooting a Remington 721. WELL the gun went flying, he spun around and was on his knees holding his poor shoulder and the bullet left a very visible vapor trail. When we picked up the gun the bolt was locked up. When he told me what he did I told him to send the gun and loads to Remington, which he did. Some time later he got the gun back with a letter for Remington. The bolt face had split and locked the bolt up. They checked the barrel and found it was not damaged. They replaced the bolt and told him the load he had shot in this gun FAR exceed the proof loads they use. They did not return the ammo he sent.
Point is it is VERY hard to destroy a modern bolt action rifle. I have another story about us trying to blow up an old Mauser, but that is for another time.
Just start at the low end of the manual recommendations and if you have a chronograph use it.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #10

Liked 3258 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK97 View Post
Is there any type of calculator where you can plug in your powder, bullet weight and barrel length so that you can find the velocity and energy?
Quickload will work from the standpoint of getting you in the ball park with a combination. What little contact I've had with quick load is that it is a really cool way to generate a "best Guess." You can try all sorts of cool and interesting possibilities, but you still only end up with a a starting point from which to begin normal load development.
Chronographs will clock your loads. You can work out all sorts of math problems from there.
Just my humble opinion, but I think people spend way too much time hung up on velocity and energy numbers. The fastest, baddest load out there ain't $h!t if it isn't accurate or doesn't otherwise function properly. It's been my observation that the most accurate loads of a given combination are quite often, comfortably under max.
YMMV.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 05-22-2013 at 03:41 PM.
People Like This