Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Not sure if this question can be answered... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/not-sure-if-question-can-answered-91070/)

SRK97 05-22-2013 03:25 AM

Not sure if this question can be answered...

Is there any type of calculator where you can plug in your powder, bullet weight and barrel length so that you can find the velocity and energy?

Anna_Purna 05-22-2013 03:27 AM

if there is, its probably not very accurate, as there are too many variables with crimp, and headspace, etc

Best thing I'd imagine is to buy a chronograph and learn the math formula.

SRK97 05-22-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
if there is, its probably not very accurate, as there are too many variables with crimp, and headspace, etc

Best thing I'd imagine is to buy a chronograph and learn the math formula.

Any Idea how much a chronograph runs?

Anna_Purna 05-22-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRK97 (Post 1254411)
Any Idea how much a chronograph runs?

Depends on how new the battery is! lol :D

Anna_Purna 05-22-2013 03:34 AM

I couldn't help you with what is good or not in Chronographs, but basically 90 dollars and up.

Hopefully the guys will wake up out of their drunken stupor and chime in.

MisterMcCool 05-22-2013 11:03 AM

Handloads.com has some ballistics calculators.

mseric 05-22-2013 11:34 AM

Quickload.

http://www.6mmbr.com/quickload.html

http://www.neconos.com/details3.htm

JonM 05-22-2013 12:24 PM

Thats not a good or safe way to determine the max pressure of a load.

Bullet construction as in how much bearing surface a bullet has also has an enourmous role in pressure.

When a powder/bullet maker puts out load data they are using pressure barrels to test with and even that is merely a very rough guidline for the handloader.

Handloading is called an art because no one has come up with a means of reliably determining what pressure level a given gun can take and then measuring the pressure to any real certainty.

What we instead do is go off experience by experimentation to find out exactly where guns will blowup then backoff the charge weights combine that with pressure barrels for testing and we end up with lots of known load data we can work from to develop "safe" loads for unknown untested cartridges.

I would be very hesitant to use any program that claims to tell you what pressure a given load is developing.

JimRau 05-22-2013 02:34 PM

It is very hard to 'blow up' a rifle. Pistols I have seen go boom several times. I had a friend who was using a Lee loader MANY years ago and he was loading a 270 with the measure for 4831. He was new at loading and not the brightest bulb in the batch so when he ran out of power he went to the local hardware store and ask for some powder. The clerk was not much better than he so when he ask what power he wanted he said it starts with a '4', so he bought 4227!:eek:
He loaded up 20 rounds with the 4227 using the 4831 (case capacity) measure and we went to the dump one weekend to shoot rats and whatever else we could and he let go with the first round. He was shooting a Remington 721. WELL the gun went flying, he spun around and was on his knees holding his poor shoulder and the bullet left a very visible vapor trail. When we picked up the gun the bolt was locked up. When he told me what he did I told him to send the gun and loads to Remington, which he did. Some time later he got the gun back with a letter for Remington. The bolt face had split and locked the bolt up. They checked the barrel and found it was not damaged. They replaced the bolt and told him the load he had shot in this gun FAR exceed the proof loads they use. They did not return the ammo he sent.:D
Point is it is VERY hard to destroy a modern bolt action rifle. I have another story about us trying to blow up an old Mauser, but that is for another time.
Just start at the low end of the manual recommendations and if you have a chronograph use it.;)

Overkill0084 05-22-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRK97 (Post 1254406)
Is there any type of calculator where you can plug in your powder, bullet weight and barrel length so that you can find the velocity and energy?

Quickload will work from the standpoint of getting you in the ball park with a combination. What little contact I've had with quick load is that it is a really cool way to generate a "best Guess." You can try all sorts of cool and interesting possibilities, but you still only end up with a a starting point from which to begin normal load development.
Chronographs will clock your loads. You can work out all sorts of math problems from there.
Just my humble opinion, but I think people spend way too much time hung up on velocity and energy numbers. The fastest, baddest load out there ain't $h!t if it isn't accurate or doesn't otherwise function properly. It's been my observation that the most accurate loads of a given combination are quite often, comfortably under max.
YMMV.