Was not 20 grs of Bullseye or 2400? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Was not 20 grs of Bullseye or 2400?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2734 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasshartt View Post
I'll have to dig out the picures of my S&W mod 67 that looks alot like that one. I made the mistake of buying "practice ammo" (stuff they reloaded and sold) from one of the local gun shops way back when. The next mistake was going out by myself and not telling anyone where I was going. It then went something like this: bang, bang, bang, BOOOOOM. When I next looked at my poor revolver, the top left quarter of the cylinder was gone, the top right quarter was hanging on by less than 1/4" of metal (or vice-versa). The rear sight was gone, the top strap was bowed, and there was a small tear on the side plate. Amazingly I still had all of my fingers and body parts, and there was no red stuff leaking out anywhere. Since this was my only duty weapon at the time, I had to go out and buy something that same day. I know tht it wasn't the revolver's fault, but I didn't want to get another S&W. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 4" stainless Python. I eventually got a 4" 686 from the shop, but I never bought anything there again.
Ah, the model 67. My first centerfire handgun. Sad to hear of your's untimely demise.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I got the same pic. I wonder if it wasn't done deliberately as accidental overloading (wrong powder) of that magnitude would be very hard to do unless some colossal stupidity was involved. It would be impossible to double load 2400 or H110 so it HAD to be a very fast burning powder like Unique or even Bullseye.
No I have seen and been on hand for a shot like that. It was a nice smith 7 shot 357 revolver. The man was loading on a dillon 550b and got a double charge in a few cases. Just so happened that he loaded them all in there are one time and they were the three top rounds. SO one blew and caused the other two to blow that much harder. This man was not stupid nor had that ever happened before or after to him. He had been reloading for 50 some years. He had the 550b when it first came out.

Alls it takes is 1 second of looking away and not knowing what is going on.

That is why I lock the door to the shed when I am running the dillon. If someone wants me They knock and I finish all the round on the plate and then go and talk.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:34 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
How long ago was this that you could buy a Python at wal mart?
If I remember right, I was probably 1985. Quals were comming up and had had a particulary bad night at work. Needed to go out and shoot at something to de-stress. Don't shoot reloads anymore. It is going to be hard for me when DzScubie starts reloading again. I trust him and all, but it will be there in the back of my mind.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 02-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2734 Times on 1432 Posts
Likes Given: 231

That is one reason you will NEVER find Bullseye in my shop. IMHO it is one of the most dangerous powders on the market. Double charge - KABOOM! Half charge - KABOOM!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 AM   #15

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

may be one of the most dangerous powders on the market but on the otherhand it is a pretty good metering powder especially using the lee disk system.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #16

Cripes! Now you guys got me paranoid about Bullseye. I bought a Hornady LNL progressive press at Christmas and have been loading .45 acp and .40 S&W with Clays powder all winter. The other day I figured I'd change things up and picked up a bottle of Bullseye to start loading .38 special and .357 mag. I don't have the .38/.357 die set yet so I figured I'd load some .45 acp with Bullseye to compare it to the Clays.

Is Bullseye really that volatile? I'd have to check my notes but I'm 99% sure I loaded 6.6 grains of Bullseye behind 185gr Hornady HP-XTP bullets. I'm shooting them out of my Kimber Pro-Elite.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #17

Sounds like I'll need to be extra vigilant with this stuff. I loaded 100 rnds of 9mm Luger last night with 4.0 gr Bullseye behind 115 gr fmj round nose bullets. We'll see how they though go through my Beretta 92.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

About a year ago my first choice of powder for 9mm and 45 ACP (Unique) was impossible to find where I usually buy my reloading components. I then picked up a 1 pound container of Bullseye and carefully loaded a bunch of 9mm and .45 with it. I had previously been aware of the problems with over/under loading with Bullseye, so I double checked my work as I went. I have not had any problems with any of these re-loads. Like everything else in re-loading use reliable published data, go slow and check, then double check your own work!

TXnorton

Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 AM   #19

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
That is one reason you will NEVER find Bullseye in my shop. IMHO it is one of the most dangerous powders on the market. Double charge - KABOOM! Half charge - KABOOM!
Same here. That's why I like to use bulker powders that come up to the base of the bullet or are even compressed. I have used a lot of Unique powder over the years but it's easier to see a double charge, but even then I check a number of times before loading in the bullets. I have the MTM fifty round case trays for reloading, I know progressive presses are real time savers but I like to see that all looks safe first and as well I strive to have powder loads with as little variance as possibly. Load to load accuracy seems to be much better for me.