Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Was not 20 grs of Bullseye or 2400? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/not-20-grs-bullseye-2400-a-19853/)

McX358 11-07-2009 04:03 AM

Was not 20 grs of Bullseye or 2400?

2 Attachment(s)
This sent to me; NICE! Lets see maybe the hammer, triger, grips might still be used again....ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK you POWDER and HOW MUCH YOU USE!

spittinfire 11-08-2009 12:49 PM

NICE!!! Always good to be reminded of what can happen if you don't pay attention. Plus, a little carnage is always fun to look at! Hope the shooter was OK, looks like it just blew the top off, maybe all the parts went the same way.

stalkingbear 11-08-2009 02:15 PM

I got the same pic. I wonder if it wasn't done deliberately as accidental overloading (wrong powder) of that magnitude would be very hard to do unless some colossal stupidity was involved. It would be impossible to double load 2400 or H110 so it HAD to be a very fast burning powder like Unique or even Bullseye.

BILLYBOB44 11-08-2009 04:52 PM

Probably wrong powder??

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 183658)
I got the same pic. I wonder if it wasn't done deliberately as accidental overloading (wring powder) of that magnitude would be very hard to do unless some colossal stupidity was involved. It would be impossible to double load 2400 or H110 so it HAD to be a very fast burning powder like Unique or even Bullseye.

You're right on Bear. One safety habit that I have is, I NEVER-EVER have more than the one powder that I am loading with on the bench/or area, at one time. Not for just the loads that I am making at the time, but also when powder not used in the measure is returned, it is returned to the CORRECT container. Safety is the first knowledge that must be learned in the handloading process!!:rolleyes::) PS: Looks like a real waste of an otherwise great S&W revolver??

McX358 11-08-2009 09:07 PM

Bulleyse or 2400????

Oh I agree it had to be Win 231, Bullseye something on that order; 2400, Bluedot or W-296 would have never done that. Interesting point, was it a deliberate act? If so unless a string was tied, who ever had guts. In any case it was a major of DUMASS! I find it strange a customer came in the other day, talking about a 357 revolver; actually he wanted a revolver incase of Black Bear attack; he’s real hung up on the Black bears. But that a different story, I suggested Taurus, as the warrantee is good, haven’t had one come back, and the price is right. He said “Oh no I saw on the Internet where the top was blown off one of those, it’s made of bad steel….” I told him, just about any revolver can had it’s top blown, if it’s a double charge.. Also suggest to start at 41 Magnum and work up from there is wanted a handgun for bear…..”But as usually what the hell do I know; I’m just a old grumpy gunny…!” :mad:

robocop10mm 11-09-2009 08:11 PM

Double charge of a fast burning powder or half charge of W-296. 296 has a weird propensity to spike pressures when loaded to less than 90% capacity.

Any firearm can go kB on you if the right circumstances are present. Banana peeled barrels from obstructions, cylinders blown open when firing .44 Mags in a .45 Colt, a Colt AR-15 A3 blown up from a warm load and untrimmed brass, Glocks blown open by a stiff breeze (OK, sorry. I had to poke fun at the Glocks).

Not purchasing gun "A" because one blew up is like not buying a car because one got wrecked (two years ago by a drunk going 95 in a 40 zone and hit a 100 year old oak tree).

McX358 11-09-2009 08:41 PM

Powder/Primer Life

Your right!

Forgot about the "BELOW" min. charge on 296 and those types of powder. As far as the customer remarks; I've been dealing with those types for 25 years now...anymore I juts nod my head, and say "wow". :rolleyes: And until they show me the $ I go about me work. :D

Viking 02-16-2010 06:53 PM

Bullseye, always double-double check this powder in the cases before seating bullets, it's amazing how much damage just a small amount of extra Bullseye can do even to the strongest of firearms.

Glasshartt 02-17-2010 07:36 AM

I'll have to dig out the picures of my S&W mod 67 that looks alot like that one. I made the mistake of buying "practice ammo" (stuff they reloaded and sold) from one of the local gun shops way back when. The next mistake was going out by myself and not telling anyone where I was going. It then went something like this: bang, bang, bang, BOOOOOM. When I next looked at my poor revolver, the top left quarter of the cylinder was gone, the top right quarter was hanging on by less than 1/4" of metal (or vice-versa). The rear sight was gone, the top strap was bowed, and there was a small tear on the side plate. Amazingly I still had all of my fingers and body parts, and there was no red stuff leaking out anywhere. Since this was my only duty weapon at the time, I had to go out and buy something that same day. I know tht it wasn't the revolver's fault, but I didn't want to get another S&W. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 4" stainless Python. I eventually got a 4" 686 from the shop, but I never bought anything there again.

spittinfire 02-17-2010 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasshartt (Post 231794)
I'll have to dig out the picures of my S&W mod 67 that looks alot like that one. I made the mistake of buying "practice ammo" (stuff they reloaded and sold) from one of the local gun shops way back when. The next mistake was going out by myself and not telling anyone where I was going. It then went something like this: bang, bang, bang, BOOOOOM. When I next looked at my poor revolver, the top left quarter of the cylinder was gone, the top right quarter was hanging on by less than 1/4" of metal (or vice-versa). The rear sight was gone, the top strap was bowed, and there was a small tear on the side plate. Amazingly I still had all of my fingers and body parts, and there was no red stuff leaking out anywhere. Since this was my only duty weapon at the time, I had to go out and buy something that same day. I know tht it wasn't the revolver's fault, but I didn't want to get another S&W. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 4" stainless Python. I eventually got a 4" 686 from the shop, but I never bought anything there again.

How long ago was this that you could buy a Python at wal mart?