Nosler Ballistic Tip - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Nosler Ballistic Tip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 737 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
The Accubonds are a different bullet then the Ballistic Tip. Accubonds are a bonded bullet (tougher) Ballistic tips are not.

Several years ago I tried some 165gr BT in my 30-06. I shot two Whitetails that year. The first one was DRT. The second one was a different story. He was about 75 yards away standing broadside. It took three well placed shots to bring him down. The third shot took him down fast and hard. Autopsy showed the first two bullets exploded on impact and never made it to the vitals. I swore I would never use a BT again.

I few years ago I broke my promise to myself and loaded up a 120gr Nosler BT for my 6.5 Grendel. I figured with a soft explosive bullet like the BT and the rather anemic velocities of the Grendel I would have the perfect Hunting bullet. Not so. One well placed shot, several hours of tracking resulted in one dead MN Whitetail. Autopsy showed the bullet exploded on impact and only small fragments of shrapnel made it to the vitals. He died a long slow death and I wasted a whole day tracking. No more BT for me, ever.

My 30-06 now gets loaded with Nosler Partitions as do all of my Hunting rifles. Except the 7.62 x 39 and the Grendel, they get 110gr and 100gr TTSX respectively.
I had basically the same experience w/ 140gr BT in my 7mmRM at 75 yards. Hit the WT perfectly and it took him off his feet. As I was walking up he picked up his head and got up. Second shot was from 50 yards and put him down. Nosler said the bullet was going to fast as it had blown up and left a crater when it hit a rib. I've never used a BT for medium game and up again. Broke the rib and left a 4" wide crater w/ about an inch of penetration.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

The last deer I shot with a Barnes TSX was a perfect broadside, about 50
yds. .30-06 the doe's head was to my left the bullet destroyed the left lung,
top of the heart and left a 4 inch hole in the deer's right side with most of
the right lung removed from the carcass. It dropped right there and died.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #13

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Our Deer here practically fall over at just the sight of a gun.....so,we just use std offerings from the bullet co's.Sierra Gamekings,Rem Corloks,Speer's whatevers.

Reason for post was/is...we have a first year issue 740,'06.Got it because PO couldn't get the second round to chamber.After a bit of investigating found that Rem changed the feedramp on subsequent models.......yadayada.Also found that their Bronze tip was the cure,"back then".So,order'd some cheap 150's from Midway....works fine.

I'd be very interested to know how Rem's Bronze Tip fits in with the timeline for "tipped" bullets.If you compare one with any of the polymer offerings currently....they look exactly the same?