Nosler Ballistic Tip

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Nosler Ballistic Tip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #1

Default Nosler Ballistic Tip

Anybody load them? I ordered some 180 grain 8mm for my Mauser. Just wondering what your results have been on game with any of the ballistic tip bullets in what ever caliber you use.
cottontop

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

I don't load but have been shooting Nosler Accubonds with ballistic tips in my 270 since Winchester introduced it. It is a great bullet, the ones I have recovered mushroomed quite well.

I also like Hornady's SST, I shoot it my 308 and 280.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

For hunting you can't beat Barnes TTSX. We've shot a dozen deer, woodchuck, even had a friend take them to Africa. Great accuracy and penetration. I have loaded Nosler, Hornady, Lapua as well. But for Hunting, can't beat the Barnes.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 895 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 419

I load 150 & 165 gr. bt. for my 30-06 the 150 is very devastating on deer size critters.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #5

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

I like Nosler and use their ballistic tips for varmint hunting in my 22-250 with excellent accuracy.
I loaded up some ballistic tips in my 7mm rem mag years ago,shot one deer,what a mess!! It turned the inside of that deer to mush,after that I just use ballistic tips on the vermin and for big game I've been using the Nosler partition bullets with excellent results.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #6

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
I don't load but have been shooting Nosler Accubonds with ballistic tips in my 270 since Winchester introduced it.
The Accubonds are a different bullet then the Ballistic Tip. Accubonds are a bonded bullet (tougher) Ballistic tips are not.

Several years ago I tried some 165gr BT in my 30-06. I shot two Whitetails that year. The first one was DRT. The second one was a different story. He was about 75 yards away standing broadside. It took three well placed shots to bring him down. The third shot took him down fast and hard. Autopsy showed the first two bullets exploded on impact and never made it to the vitals. I swore I would never use a BT again.

I few years ago I broke my promise to myself and loaded up a 120gr Nosler BT for my 6.5 Grendel. I figured with a soft explosive bullet like the BT and the rather anemic velocities of the Grendel I would have the perfect Hunting bullet. Not so. One well placed shot, several hours of tracking resulted in one dead MN Whitetail. Autopsy showed the bullet exploded on impact and only small fragments of shrapnel made it to the vitals. He died a long slow death and I wasted a whole day tracking. No more BT for me, ever.

My 30-06 now gets loaded with Nosler Partitions as do all of my Hunting rifles. Except the 7.62 x 39 and the Grendel, they get 110gr and 100gr TTSX respectively.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 598

The Nosler Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertips are my main hunting bullets in 25/06-308-30/06-300WM and 458 SOCOM.
I haven't had any problems with them coming apart on impact,but I have noticed a few times that they don't expand as well as a Partition type bullet at shorter range shots.These hunting bullets perform like match bullets when it comes to grouping.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

My personal experience has not been good with Nosler or Hornady,
Polymer tipped bullets, all my shots on game have result in no
expansion. I have shot them in .35 Rem, .300 H&H, .30-06 and
7mm Rem mag.

I used to load Nosler partitions, they are a very good bullet. I now
load Barnes TSX bullets. My experience with Barnes is excellent,
Nosler's partitions are a close second.

Your mileage may vary.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #9

Liked 248 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 163

I've loaded and shot the Ballistic Tips for my .270 and 7mm-08. Both have been great for killing dear as far as I'm concerned. I've shot them as close as 20 ft. and as far as 400 yards and as long as I do my part they did theirs. The 400 yard shot was actually 2 hits. One broadside then he trotted forward and turned away and the next was facing away. The first shot went through both lungs and stopped in the hide on the far side and the second entered just above the ham and was stopped by the leg bone on the opposite side. Both were killing shots and from the .270.

The Barnes bullets are exceptional too, and seem to be more accurate for my rifle. Trying out the Swift Scirocco II 180 grain in my .300 Weatherby on elk in November this year. 81 grains of Reloader 22 and an average of 3160 fps with sub minute groups. So far I like them. Seem to be a well made bullet.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #10

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post

I also like Hornady's SST, I shoot it my 308 and 280.
The ones Ive loaded preformed very well for me in .30-06. Good weight retention.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”