Non-loader's Guide to Policing Brass? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Non-loader's Guide to Policing Brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
Cull the brass into two basic piles - look in the case to see if it has two small holes (NOT reloadable) or one larger hole (reloadable). Once you divvy out the calibers, you may have something a reloader would buy.
The non-reloadable stuff can be sold to the recycler.
+1 Very good point. There are 2 types you'll find when picking up brass. The most common will be the Boxer primer which has a single flash hole in the center of the base where the Berdan style has the 2 flash holes that Bigdog57 talked about. In a weird twist, Berdan was an American whose style was adopted in Europe and Boxer was developed in Europe and adopted here in the States.

I pick up everything that I can find that can be reloaded. I have .45 GAP, .45 LC, .357 SIG and a host of other stuff I'll never shoot but will probably be able to trade it off for 9mm or .45 to the right person.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Just to butt in...Some Berdan primed cases have only one hole. However, it has to be off center since the case is still the anvil.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Do not cut up shotshells- reloadable. 45 40 9mm 38/357 most popular with reloaders, and yes, IS worth more than scrap. Tarnished- no problem. Pitted, problem.

And whenever I am shooting, reloadable or not, I try to be neat- police up my trash. For .22 rimfire, a tarp laid out beofre shooting catches it. Cleanup is 30 seconds.
A tarp!!! Heck, I’m still looking for the brass magnet they told me to go get. Hummmm I wonder if the DI’s still do stuff that? (Not PC)

anyway, OP take note good advice from "THE c3"

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 01-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #14

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigjumpr View Post
A tarp!!! Heck, I’m still looking for the brass magnet they told me to go get. Hummmm I wonder if the DI’s still do stuff that? (Not PC)

anyway, OP take note good advice from "THE c3"
Oh, I'm sure they still send recruits and boots running for the brass magnet, a box of grid squares, a PRC-E6, and the keys to the Humvee.

Thanks for the tips, all. There's a thick layer of snow on the ground now, so it'll be springtime before I can add to my pile.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #15

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino

Oh, I'm sure they still send recruits and boots running for the brass magnet, a box of grid squares, a PRC-E6, and the keys to the Humvee.
They most definitely still do. But imagine my squad leader's amazement when I actually did find a clear projector sheet with squares on it. In the woods, exactly where he told me to look.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm never taking a tarp to the range again. The first time we took my son's M1 carbine to the range it threw half the brass up front at about 2:00 and I didn't think we'd ever find all of it in the grass.

Last time we went I spread a 12'x12' tarp in front of the firing line and I'll be darned if not a single piece of brass fell on it. Next time I think I'll tarp the rest of the range and leave a 5'x5' square of grass to catch all the brass.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #17

Liked 741 Times on 491 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45 View Post
I'm never taking a tarp to the range again. The first time we took my son's M1 carbine to the range it threw half the brass up front at about 2:00 and I didn't think we'd ever find all of it in the grass.

Last time we went I spread a 12'x12' tarp in front of the firing line and I'll be darned if not a single piece of brass fell on it. Next time I think I'll tarp the rest of the range and leave a 5'x5' square of grass to catch all the brass.
Thats how my SKS is.... I may try that....