No powder any where!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > No powder any where!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

Default No powder any where!

I was lucky enough this year to find powder for reloading, two cans of it. One was pistol power and the other was Hodgden H4350. Today the boys decided it was a good day to shoot up all my reloads for a Fathers day outing. We had a blast. Now I'm desparately needing powder. We have a 2nd Admendment that just opened up and this guy came in over a weeks time and pretty much bought most of the powder, leaving just the black powder. Then this guy came in and bought all the black powder for his cannon. I think there needs to be a limit on how much you can buy at one time. I'm sure the guy who bought up all the powder probably sold it some where else for a higher price. I think this limit should only be during times like this. Who agrees

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1093 Times on 566 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Limits should be up to the individual store owners/managers. If they want to set limits, OK. If not, that's OK too.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
I was lucky enough this year to find powder for reloading, two cans of it. One was pistol power and the other was Hodgden H4350. Today the boys decided it was a good day to shoot up all my reloads for a Fathers day outing. We had a blast. Now I'm desparately needing powder. We have a 2nd Admendment that just opened up and this guy came in over a weeks time and pretty much bought most of the powder, leaving just the black powder. Then this guy came in and bought all the black powder for his cannon. I think there needs to be a limit on how much you can buy at one time. I'm sure the guy who bought up all the powder probably sold it some where else for a higher price. I think this limit should only be during times like this. Who agrees
We cannot count on buying powder one pound at a time and locally.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:27 AM   #4

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I have see some web sites stalking ammo but reloading components are not easy to find. What caliber are you loading?

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 06-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 13

We're all in the same boat on all reloading components.....

I have a limited supply of Large pistol primers, and Large Pistol Magnum primers, about 600 small rifle primers, and no small pistol primers....

I'm down to my last pound of Bullseye, and Unique, and 2 small cans of old Du Ponte rifle power that are just about empty. The only thing I'm phat on is a 5 pound can of Hi Skor 700-X....

My supply of 158Gr. .38/.357 Magnum heads is dwindling, I have about 50 146Gr. 9mm Hornady HAP heads left, no .223 heads, and less than 700 heads for .44 Magnum....

The only thing I can put together are light .44 Magnum loads since I have no 2400 or Herco left.....

The closest place that "might" have any powder is Cabela's, and they're a 3 hour drive from here, not one local shop has anything at all to sell......

Old 06-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #6

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I'm loading .40 Smith & Wesson, 30-06 and .223. Trying to get set up for 8mm Mauser. I was lucky when I first started out reloading in February, I could find everything at the mom and pop shops if I drove around looking but that supply is now gone. I don't think any of them has gotten a load of powder since last November.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I snagged a good order of powder (19 lbs) in October. Alliant has been all but non-existant of late. Their customer service reports they are working 24/7, but cannot keep up.

I just grabbed up 2 lbs of Blue Dot at a shop in Houston. Props to 10 Ring for NOT price gouging ($23/lb). They even had small pistol primers!

With Blue Dot actually on the shelves w/in 150 miles of my house, there is the slightest crack in the log jamb

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 340 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I just started reloading in December and have not had the opportunity to be picky on powders as of yet. I have had a good source for primers and powder. I am well stocked (20,000+ primers and 30lbs of powder) but I haven't been able to try every load in the books due to not being able to get certain powders.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #9

Liked 795 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor
Find a big state competition shoot of about any kind in your area. They'll have dealers from all over selling about everything and anything.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 AM   #10

Liked 743 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycastor View Post
The shop i work at has stopped selling ammo .....We sell only if you buy a gun(ammo for that gun, 2bx) or people using the range. It is worse now, than it has been.....We get 100ph calls a day asking if we have this or that caliber. And we have been out of PYRODEX, and BP for months. We still have a good supply of 9mm/45acp/.40/45lc/44mag/357mag. But saving it back for our range

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......