Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Nickel and dimming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default Nickel and dimming

I guess back when I first started reloading all I thought I needed was a few things to get started.

If I had only wanted to reload say a straight walled handgun cartridge like a .357 mag I could of got off cheep by just getting a Lee hand loader. Sense I wanted to reload all the cartages I shot a Lee hand loader would not do, so I bought the normal stuff everyone else bought for reloading.

RCBS press
Dies for each cal.
Press shell holders for each cal.
A little dandy powder dispenser
One bushing for the powder dispenser
A set of Redding balance scales, (sense there were no digital scales back then)
Lube pad and lube
A Sierra reloading manual

Well not many people back then helped people get started in reloading and many would not even give much advice as to what was needed so I had to learn the hard way. A lot of the stuff I found out as I got going, and some things I found to be a help even though not really required.

The stuff I should of got with the initial set up.

Lee hand primer and shell holders for each cal.
Different powder bushings for each powder load.
An adjustable RCBS powder dispenser for the rifle cartages.
Case trimmers
Primer pocket reamers
Flash hole deburing.
Deburring tool for trimmed cases
Powder funnel
Powder trickler
Inside neck lube brush
A good set of hex wrenches
A good stiff and sturdy reloading bench
A good set of hand calipers
Case tray for holding the cases in

The things over the years I have found to make life in reloading a little easer.

A cheep paint brush to dist off and sweep up the workbench.
A bore light, (Small cheep flexible flash light)
Note pad and ink pin
Small 3-inch steel machinist ruler
Good digital calipers
Small shop wet/dry vac
Digital scales
Small set of vice grips and pliers
Small screwdriver set
Medium sifter and Small 1 gal plastic bucket
Workbench light
Trashcan for the bench
Small and large storage bens and drawers
Shop rags/old towels or both

There are a lot of other stuff on can get to make reloading life easer, but what I am showing here is that this hobby can nickel and dime you to death. There is always something new that we all drool over in the reloading community and some times we do get it but most times we just dream.

opaww

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You are right but you can get started fairly cheap. The Lee haters will come out on this one but I got a Lee 4 hole turret kit. It came with everything I needed to reload one caliber which for me was 45acp. It was very simple equipment but it did the job. I've added to it overtime and I continue to add to it. I think the kit cost me around $150 if I remember correctly and I've been using it for several years now.

I was able to pick up all my shotgun presses on ebay for super cheap so when I need to I can reload them as well.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #3

You can get a 4stage lee press from midaway right now for $159 with on set of pistol dies

Old 08-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #4

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good stuff there, opaww, and since I am just now getting started, I will use a lot of your advice. Getting set up TODAY as a matter of fact, so your timing is perfect!

Old 08-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
You are right but you can get started fairly cheap. The Lee haters will come out on this one but I got a Lee 4 hole turret kit. It came with everything I needed to reload one caliber which for me was 45acp. It was very simple equipment but it did the job. I've added to it overtime and I continue to add to it. I think the kit cost me around $150 if I remember correctly and I've been using it for several years now.

I was able to pick up all my shotgun presses on ebay for super cheap so when I need to I can reload them as well.
Lee Haters?? Eff them. My first press was a Lee Turret. Great press. Sorry I ever sold it.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #6

Liked 1660 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

I actually started with the Lee hand Press. I bought it for about $25 on midwayusa.com. I now have an RCBS rock chucker and hundreds of dollars worth of stuff. I have gotten some for Christmas gifts. My wife is an awesome woman. But I have also gotten great deals at yard sales.

When I got that hand press I was loading 38 special and 308 Win. It is a lot easier with the bench mounted press though.

That hand press is great for preping brass. I will sit in my recliner and watch tv while I size, deprime and expand my pistol cases.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #7

my first reloader was a Lee Load all loaded hundreds of 270 win rounds. bullets brass powder primers and a plastic hammer. wow life was good

let no talents go unused

Old 08-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #8

I missed the Tumbler part of your post. Clean brass is essential for reloading. Lee is Ok by me. I use a lot of Lee products along with many others. You can never own enough reloading tools.

patret

Old 08-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #9

I forgot to put the tumbler in there someplace

Old 08-08-2010, 04:40 AM   #10

Default Nickles and Dimes

Opaww : you got me thinking.....I think we all do that buildup thing you describe....I think that's why a lot of the on line suppliers have "wish lists". But it's not different than many other hobbies. I got a buddy that is into Bowling big time.....He once told me that he has 39 bowling balls, and spends about $10k per year on fees, shoes, gloves, cleaning equip, tournaments, travel and motels. You got a Harley shirt on the picture....I got a drinking buddy that admits to spending over $20k turning an old XLCH into a real nice scooter, but he never runs out of things to put on that machine. It's just what we do.
In 1967 I was real impressed with my M-16 in Vietnam...so much so that upon returning home I started my weapons collection with an Armalite AR-180 and learned to reload .223. The bug never let go, and I now have the capability to load 6 handgun and 9 rifle calibers. Along with all the stuff I tried that did not work, and all the stuff that did, I bought a lot of things for loading, casting, measuring, sizing, lubing, cleaning, chronographing, record keeping, spotting scopes, range bags, and targets. I keep good records, and have receipts for over $35k over the past 4 decades and that does NOT include any weapons.
I'm just glad I never took up golf!!!!