Newbie Setup
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Newbie Setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 21 Posts

Default Newbie Setup

Ok ladies and germs, I just got into reloading after about a year of saving and feeding my wife "the Kool-Aid" (my flavor happens to be blue raspberry) I had to build a separate bench for it cuz my current one did not have the 3/4+ overhang needed for clearance. I'm pretty happy overall and plan on running a batch this weekend. Anyone else running 223. on the XL650 from Dillon? Any tips, tricks or insider info ya'll can share about this press or this cartridge would be greatly appreciated!
image-1300483137.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #2

This is the stuff I got to start out with. Is there anything I'm gonna want to run out and get right away? I know a case trimmer and prep station would be nice but aren't quite a must have yet and I would like a drop in case gauge but can find one in the stores near me yet. Thanks for lookin.
image-1668883024.jpg  

Old 06-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #3

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Very nice looking setup. Can't help with suggestions. I don't run .223 on a Dillon.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #4

Liked 649 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Congrats on the 650,those are very nice machines once you have them set up and running. I've been reloading with a couple 550s 20 years now,and they've done a great job with an excellent warranty.

My tip would be read and re-read the instructions.

Also pay very close attention with a progressive press,it doesn't take but one mistake or running out of material to assemble a lot of wrongly reloaded ammo with a progressive.

One other off the top of my mind,when you accidentally drop a powder charge without a case there,make sure you clean the powder out of your auto primer pocket,if not you will have dimpled primers.... Don't ask me how I know!

Good luck

Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #5

I have been reading a lot of material about reloading. I planned on getting this set up in .45 first but availability and a good deal altered my plans a bit. I also plan on reloading for .308 and have considered just getting a single stage on the cheap for that. From what I have heard running bigger rifle rounds on the 650 is not ideal. Is this just because of the less consistent powder throw of a progressive press or are there other factors involved?

Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #6

Liked 649 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Josh Good luck on the reloading i'm sure you'll have a great time loading your own!.
If you have any questions there's a lot of folks on here with a wealth of reloading knowledge and experience that are more than happy to help a fellow reloader.

Old 06-29-2013, 11:02 PM   #7

Thanks MO I have been bitten by the bug now, already trying to find creative ways to get another thousand dollars for all the stuff I want/need! Who the hell told me this was going to save me money?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #8

Liked 217 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 82

I got a Dillon 550 that came with scant instructions. Dillon wanted extra money for a DVD of instructions. I found some good tips on running the 550 in Youtube videos. I suspect that your 650 is on some videos, too.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:59 AM   #9

Yeah that's one thing about Dillon, they don't include jack sh!t for extras with their presses and all the extras are pricey!! That's why I have a verity of different brands for my other components. Only stuff I have that's Dillon is the press and die sets. If you want the best your gonna have to pony up the dough..

Old 06-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1374 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
This is the stuff I got to start out with. Is there anything I'm gonna want to run out and get right away? I know a case trimmer and prep station would be nice but aren't quite a must have yet and I would like a drop in case gauge but can find one in the stores near me yet. Thanks for lookin.
Can't tell for sure, but is that a Hornady scale in the back? If not you are going to need a scale.

One shot lube works great for many and not so great for some. The key is to apply and even coat and let it Dry Completely . It dose not work when wet.

After you get your Dillon set up for 223/5.56 run a few fired cases through the sizing die, no powder, no primer. Grab your rifle and see if they chamber and extract with ease. If so great carry on, if not adjust your sizing die down until they do. This is what Dillon means in their die instructions line #4.

The sizing/depriming die is a full-length
sizing die, manufactured to minimum tolerances.
We strongly suggest that a headspace
case gage be used to correctly adjust
the size die. Always clean and lube your
rifle cases before attempting to process the
cases (thru the size die).
1. Move the handle down to raise the platform.
2. Screw the sizing/depriming die into station
one of your reloader.
3. When the die contacts the shellplate,
back the die off 1/2 turn.
4. Use one lubed rifle case to test your sizing
and headspace. Readjust the die as
needed to achieve proper headspace.

5. With a case in the die, snug the lock ring.

Good Luck and Enjoy.