newbie to reloading

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > newbie to reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 03:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default newbie to reloading

hello to the forum i am new to reloading. i have a lee hand press and lee 4 pc. die set also a rcbs beam scale. i just finished loading ten 40 s&w rounds. the components are:

1. once fired win. caseings.

2. win sp primers

3. win 231 powder = 5.0 gr.

4. hornady 155 gr. xtphp.

5. mol = 1.135

i will be shooting a glock 27. i checked the rounds length by field stripping the gun and placeing each round in the chamber per this forums advice. i put a factory round in the chamber first to see what it looked like and all the reloads looked the same way. as far as belling out the caseing, how much! how far will the bullet go down in the caseing? i am sure i forgot to ask somehting, but if something sounds wrong here please let me know. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #2

Please start with this link!

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/new-reloading-look-here-15130/

Old 12-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Welcome.

First I must warn you that you should not fire reloads in teh glock factory barrel due to the unsupported chamber.

Quote:
Handloaded/reloaded or re-manufactured ammunition may be unsafe and voids factory warranty.
I don't know if this is out of the Glock manual because it is here on this website.
Looks like your load specs are ok you are on the very low end of the load spectrum by Hoadgdon online guide. It will vary with each loading manual though. You may need to bump it to 5.5gr if you get any stove pipes or FTE.

As far as bullet seating depth. There should be a mark around the bullet if not never fear load to the OAL (Over All Length) specs in a current reloading manual and you should have no problem.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are planning on doing any serious amount of reloading, then invest in a good bench press like the Rockchucker from RCBS.

One trick that I used is to load a dummy round with no powder or primer, and mark the base so that you don't confuse it with a real live round. When you set up your press for bullet seating, use this dummy round to set the depth. Will save you a lot of work in setting up each loading session.

If you do a lot of shooting, consider getting a progressive press such as the ones from Dillon. Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

Good luck with your new hobby!

And remember, pay attention to details - handloading is no place to take shortcuts or work fast.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3087 Times on 1548 Posts
Likes Given: 380

First let me say that i don't own a glock and haven't fired one in a number of years.
My question with the whole unsupported chamber issue with the Glocks; why would firing reloads be any more unsafe than firing full power factory ammo? The chamber is completely unaware of who or where any particular ammo came from. Assuming the reloads were built by a responsible reloader to proper specs, what possible difference could it make?

(I get the warranty bit, most manufacturers have a reloaded ammo clause.)

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #6

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

With the glock it is more the case gets weekend with the use of the unsupported chamber. Then after a few loading it goes KABOOM.

No fault of glock it is the way it is. If your shooting reloading once fired or new brass would negate then but would also negate the reason for reloading all together.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:05 AM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Welcome.

First I must warn you that you should not fire reloads in teh glock factory barrel due to the unsupported chamber.
My experience has negated this entirely.

Ive run 155gr light plinkers to 180gr+P+ hunting reloads in my G20.
Never an issue.

#1. Be responsible
#2. use plated or jacketed bullets, NO LEAD
#3. Do not use Bubbas load from the interwebz bang bang forum
#4. never go over max data(see #1)

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #8

Liked 2018 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1348

I started with the Lee hand press as well. It was a fun way to get started. But I outgrew it in just a couple of months. Save your money and look at the rockchucker. That is what I have been using for a couple years now.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.