Newbie Reloading - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Newbie Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalgunner View Post
my dad always told me you can never have to many reloading manuals, i have several. i look for used ones at gun shows.
Be careful with old reloading manuals. They are interesting reading, but in most cases they are obsolete and can even be dangerous. Powder formulations change and so do charge weights and pressures. If you compare an old Hogdon manual from the 90's to one from 2008 you will see differences for loads in the same caliber using the same powder. Never use outdated material with new powder!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #12

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Yes old ones are nice to have to look at and see what was and wasn't there back in the day. But like RL said DON'T use them.

As far as pet loads. Stalking bears is right on that. If I post a pet load I will always place a warning on it. Seeing as some of my 223 loads are pushing the limit of velocity and pressure I will not list those. I have specific loads for winter and summer My winter load is accurate in the cold but once the heat gets over 80* It gets put away as the powder is known for being erratic in the heat. My summer loads are also a bit more mild because they may sit in a car most of the day or ride around in my back or leg pockets during a ground hog hunt in 100*+ temps.

each rifle uses loads specific to it it may or may not work in yours.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #13

Just want to emphasize what you have already said about sharing pet loads and get at least 2 manuals, as well as the ABC's of Reloading.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #14

Default The Accurate Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post
Hello, I am new here and this is my first thread. I just got into shooting about six months ago. I have a Ruger 10/22, SR9, Mini-14, Bersa Thunder .380 and a Saiko .222, also in the future I am buying a .270. I am trying to start reloading for the 380ACP, 9mm, .223, .222, and .270. I am looking in the future to buy more firearms but right now this is what I am reloading. I was looking at the Dillan 550 B progressive reloader. CCI 400 primers, and Hodgdon Varget powder. I saw good reports on all of these but I want more oppinions. I have a queston too (and please remember I am new to this), can you use that same powder and primer typse on all five of the calibers? I haven't paid too much attention to bullets yet though so any advice there too would be helpful. So please any help, advice, or constructive critisism would be nice. Thank you
Welcome from one newbie to another. Since I see you plan on reloading your own ammunition (a very good idea for many reasons I'm sure you'll discover later), and if at some point in time you become smitten by the accuracy bug, (you'll know it when it happens) there is one more book I would highly recommend. "The Accurate Rifle" by Warren Page.

It's written in a style that almost all shooters will find to be entertaining reading, but technical enough to be of benefit to even the experienced shooter. Amazon still shows it as being in print and I think you'll find yourself going back to it on many occasions even after you have read it the first time. Money well spent IMHO.

F. Prefect

Old 08-08-2009, 04:00 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Neil

Oh wow. okay good to know. haha good thing i have you guys to help me keep from getting my head blown off. i really appricaite all your help. i can't wait until i can get out and start shooting more so i can get to reloading. hank you again if i have any more newbie questions or ideas i will surely post on here first.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Tags
advice, newbie, reloading