Newbie Reloading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Newbie Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Newbie Reloading

Hello, I am new here and this is my first thread. I just got into shooting about six months ago. I have a Ruger 10/22, SR9, Mini-14, Bersa Thunder .380 and a Saiko .222, also in the future I am buying a .270. I am trying to start reloading for the 380ACP, 9mm, .223, .222, and .270. I am looking in the future to buy more firearms but right now this is what I am reloading. I was looking at the Dillan 550 B progressive reloader. CCI 400 primers, and Hodgdon Varget powder. I saw good reports on all of these but I want more oppinions. I have a queston too (and please remember I am new to this), can you use that same powder and primer typse on all five of the calibers? I haven't paid too much attention to bullets yet though so any advice there too would be helpful. So please any help, advice, or constructive critisism would be nice. Thank you

Last edited by 2hot2handle; 06-24-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2009, 12:25 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post
Hello, I am new here and this is my first thread. I just got into shooting about six months ago. I have a Ruger 10/22, SR9, Mini-14, Bersa Thunder .380 and a Saiko .222, also in the future I am buying a .270. I am trying to start reloading for the 380ACP, 9mm, .223, .222, and .270. I am looking in the future to buy more firearms but right now this is what I am reloading. I was looking at the Dillan 550 B progressive reloader. CCI 400 primers, and Hodgdon Varget powder. I saw good reports on all of these but I want more oppinions. I have a queston too (and please remember I am new to this), can you use that same powder and primer typse on all five of the calibers? I haven't paid too much attention to bullets yet though so any advice there too would be helpful. So please any help, advice, or constructive critisism would be nice. Thank you
Without getting into a whole lot of information that you can easily acquire by picking up a reloading manual, the short answer is : Handgun powders are not the same as rifle powders, and different calibers of rifle and handgun ammunition have different bullet weight and powder requirements. Some powders are useable in several different calibers, but often maximum accuracy is not achieved through the use of one type of powder. As each gun has it's preferrence for a specific type of factory ammo, so each gun will have it's preferrence for specific components that the reloader uses (bullets, primers, brass, and powder) Reloading is a science and a journey. Read all you can to acquire a rudimentary knowledge. Pick up a reloading manual or two and do some reading to familiarize yourself with terms and general practices, it's a hobby that is well worth it! All the major bullet manufacturers have reloading manuals - Lee, Hornady, Lyman, and my personal best...Sierra. Good luck and stay safe by reading.
PS. There is an "Introductions" section on this forum for new members to introduce themselves and for members to get acquainted.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-25-2009 at 12:31 AM.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The 550 Dillon is the best press on the market today for the money and I have loaded on one for over 20 years, but I would not recomand spending that much money on your first press. Go to a gun show and pick up a good used single stage press for a starter. Get a heavy one like the RCBS Rock Chucker. Load on it for a while befor you spend the big bucks. You will be able to use all of the dies you buy in the Dillon when you get it, and it never hurts to have an old single stage press laying around, so I would keep it for forming brass, swedging primer pocket on .223 brass with crimped primer pockets ect.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 06-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Before you buy anything get the BOOK ABC's of reloading.

It will give you the answer to 99.9% of all your questions.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Thank you

RL357Mag, thank you for the advice. I have been looking for the manuals though and I can't find any. Where do you get them? Online? Gun stores? Sorry about posting in the wrong spot. I will try and do better in the future.

Catfish, I see the wisdom of you suggestion. However, I won't be the one purchasing the reloader. I am doing this with my father and he will be buying the reloader. I told him about your idea. He wasn't opposed to the idea, he just isn't worried about the money. I am thinking of getting one for my self though. I am glad you have had so much good experience with the Dillon.

cpttango30, the book looks great! I am putting one on order this week. It will be the first "reloading" piece of equipment that I will have bought, but it looks like a great resource.

Thanks every one! I will let you know how it goes! It is great to be able to talk with other gun enthusiasts.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hot2handle View Post
RL357Mag, thank you for the advice. I have been looking for the manuals though and I can't find any. Where do you get them? Online? Gun stores? Sorry about posting in the wrong spot. I will try and do better in the future.

Catfish, I see the wisdom of you suggestion. However, I won't be the one purchasing the reloader. I am doing this with my father and he will be buying the reloader. I told him about your idea. He wasn't opposed to the idea, he just isn't worried about the money. I am thinking of getting one for my self though. I am glad you have had so much good experience with the Dillon.

cpttango30, the book looks great! I am putting one on order this week. It will be the first "reloading" piece of equipment that I will have bought, but it looks like a great resource.

Thanks every one! I will let you know how it goes! It is great to be able to talk with other gun enthusiasts.

YW 2hot2handle. Most gun shops carry reloading manuals by the major manufacturers. Midsouth Shooters Supply, Reloading, Air Guns, Optics, Muzzleloaders & Shooting Supplies sells manuals from most of the manufacturers. I like Sierra's manual because it has much more information besides just reloading data. It describes the whole process and gives data for every metallic cartridge known as well as the history of each. It has many sections dedicated to every aspect of shooting and reloading and I use it as a referrence quite often. It's in binder form and the pages can be removed, which has been invaluable to me for copying ballistic tables to take to the range with me. It comes in very handy to have bullet drop vs. distance info when shooting a particular cartridge at various distances. Sierral bullets are used by most competitors also, so their data is invaluable to those of us who use their bullets to reload. Good luck and happy reloading. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do, and don't hesitate to ask questions - it's how we all learn!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #7

my dad always told me you can never have to many reloading manuals, i have several. i look for used ones at gun shows.
as for a press, i started with a rcbs rock chucker (great press). now i own 2 dillon, a 550 and a square deal. dillon have lifetime warrenty on parts. if a part breaks call them and they send you a new part the next day. good luck

Old 07-12-2009, 03:01 AM   #8

2hot - you can also get reloading manuals at just about any online bookstore. I suggest a 49th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook. The first 100 or so pages will tell you what you need to start reloading and gives you pretty much step by step instructions.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take every thing you have.
Thomas Jefferson

US Army Retired / Postal Employee
NRA Endowment Member
Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Old 07-22-2009, 04:58 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for keeping all the advice coming. I appricaite it all. I would even appricaite it if people would mention what loads have worked well for them if they are currently loading for any of the firearms that I am shooting. No pressure, but if you would like to share some of your favorites I am not opposed at all. Thanks again every one.

2hot2handle

Old 07-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The reason we hesitate to give out our pet loads is they were developed in our specific firearms ONLY and may not work well in your firearms-hell they may not even be safe to fire in yours. That's the reason for multiple loading manuals. Sometimes even loads listed as safe in 1 manual won't be deemed as safe in another (over maximum & usually rifle loads but not always). Start 10% below maximum loads or at the mildest load and carefully work up in YOUR guns. Nobody here can tell you the most accurate load in your guns without shooting & working up a load with them personally. Since I'm an accuracy freak, my main objective when working up a load is extreme accuracy (as long as it's within acceptable pressure/velocity). I've been reloading since 1972 and will help you out any way that I can. Working up a load for your guns & watching your groups shrink is part of the fun of reloading. Neil

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Tags
advice, newbie, reloading