Newbie reloader checklist
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Newbie reloader checklist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 03:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Newbie reloader checklist

Hey all,
I've been doing a lot of reading and I will be buying the following straight from Dillon's:
RL 550B Caliber Conversion Kit to be Included: .500 S&W Magnum * - $10.00
Dillon X-Large Powder Die
RL 550B Spare Parts Kit
Dillon's RL 550 Toolholder w/Wrench Set
Dillon Carbide Pistol Dies (Three-Die Sets) Die Type: .45 ACP/GAP - $63.95
D-Terminator Electronic Scale
Primer Pickup Tubes, 2 Small, 2 Large (I'm assuming I need the large ones for the .500 S&W since it uses large rifle primers)
Digital Caliper
Dillon's CV-750 Vibratory Case Cleaner
CM-500 Case/Media Separator
Walnut Hull Polishing Media
Rapid Polish 290 (8 oz. Bottle)

Do I need to get a case mouth deburring tool?

Also I'm a little confused about what people use for cleaning media. Some people seem to start off with walnut then finish off with corn cob for added polishing. I don't mind polished brass but all I really care about is smooth feeding functional ammo, and if extra polish adds an extra step in the cleaning process, I'm not really interested.

Also I read some people mixing paint thinner or car polish in the media, how does Rapid Polish 290 compare to that? Others "condition" the media. I understand that people have their own recipe but I'd like to at least start off with a tried & proven technique.

Let me know if I'm missing anything, I'll be starting off with .500 S&W and .45ACP. I'm ordering the Lyman 49th Edition book off Amazon.

Thanks!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2014, 04:12 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 153 Posts

You seem to have it covered. Yes you should trim and debur the brass leaving a bit of an inside chamfer.

I heartily recommend buying a reloading manual and reading it first. They have a pretty good primer in them that will give you a good understanding of what the whole process includes. I use the Nosler and Sierra manuals primarily.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The cleaning and polishing also helps when looking for cracks in the brass. It's an extra step, but most reloaders on here will say it is worth it. Lots of ideas on how to get clean brass. I like using walnut before I resize and then the stainless steel as I prep the brass. Many other ideas about how to clean your brass.

With this hobby, take your time. Read as much as you can. Check EVERYTHING. Recheck it again.

On a side note, the 500 is the round the got me to reloading, and still the one I enjoy the most. Good luck with it

Sent from my smart phone using my not smart hand.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 881 Times on 533 Posts
Likes Given: 199

I'm also just beginning to gather equipment.

Brian Enos is a Dillon retailer. He has put togther a couple of prepackaged kits for the 550.

Co-Worker recommended 50/50 mix of nut shell and corn cob media, and it works just great with a squirt of new finish.

I'm probably going to step up to the 650 instead of the 550. As I talked to active reloaders and asked the question, it came back a resounding 650 however, Brian doesn't like new reloaders starting on a 650. I'm probably going to order something this week!

Old 02-10-2014, 04:05 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

As for the case mouth tool, I didn't see anything about trimming tools. After you trim the cases, you need to dress up the mouth. If you are not going to trim, you should be good. With most pistol cases, you can get by a long time without trimming. With that said, I find I need to trim my 500 brass ever few loads. That is a lot of brass and it can take a lot of trimming after 1 or 2 of the more fun loads.

Sent from my smart phone using my not smart hand.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #6

I was originally going to get the 650 but I kept reading how it was not recommended for beginners and in all honesty I won't be reloading enough to warrant the higher price tag and much heavier weight.

Also, what's the procedure if using walnuts then corn cob? You have to get 2 tumblers or dump out all the media and put in the other one? Is there a real advantage to doing a 50/50 mix? To me it sounds like mixing up two different "grits" and the bigger one will keep messing up what the smaller one polishes.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 02-11-2014, 12:22 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
I was originally going to get the 650 but I kept reading how it was not recommended for beginners and in all honesty I won't be reloading enough to warrant the higher price tag and much heavier weight.

Also, what's the procedure if using walnuts then corn cob? You have to get 2 tumblers or dump out all the media and put in the other one? Is there a real advantage to doing a 50/50 mix? To me it sounds like mixing up two different "grits" and the bigger one will keep messing up what the smaller one polishes.
The combo media makes for some shiny brass

I hear you on the 550/650 issue, and I haven't actually bought it yet. However, in talking to a bunch of reloaders and active shooters, every one said to get the 650 and be done.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #8

I'm typically a go big or go home kinda guy too, I won't buy something that I know I will upgrade down the road. However a reloading press in my opinion is a purchase for a lifetime and if you ever get into high volume reloading, you might as well get a 2nd press and have a 2nd person operate that one.

So the combo media is the best compromise? So you would mix the Rapid Polish 290 to that and let it mix itself as it tumbles?

Also I'm looking for trimming tools for the .500 S&W, there really isn't much online and I'm confused about what makes up a trimming kit. There are case holders, guide rods, trim dies, handles etc; I have no idea how to verify if parts are intercompatible.

Should I bother with trying to get something for the .45 ACP. I think it's low pressure enough not to stretch.

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 02-11-2014 at 02:32 AM.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:44 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
So the combo media is the best compromise? So you would mix the Rapid Polish 290 to that and let it mix itself as it tumbles?
Combo media is not a compromise, it's the best option according to my reloading co-worker. It does a beautiful job. Nu Finish is his choice for polish. I added a squirt, if I had to guess, little over a teaspoon. I have learned after running several loads of brass, you want the polish to run for a bit before putting the brass in, otherwise it gets stuck inside the case.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:48 AM   #10

Thanks for the info. That's one question answered, now my last concern is trimming and prepping the .500 brass. I find it very hard to put together a little machine with parts from just one manufacturer. Could you point me in the right direction?