Newbie Lube Question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Newbie Lube Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 04:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Newbie Lube Question

Okay, so I'm slowly learning about reloading bottleneck cases. To lube them, I'm using a lube pad and RCBS lube. I have no complaints as to performance of the lube. What I am wondering is how "clean" does the brass need to be after the resizing. Is wiping them down (to clean off excess lube) enough? Or, do I need to wash/degrease the now re-sized brass?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2014, 06:07 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2994 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I prefer to use a little mineral spirits to get ALL the lube off.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Steel_Talon Likes This 
Old 02-01-2014, 06:53 AM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I prefer to use a little mineral spirits to get ALL the lube off.
I use Imperial sizing wax or Hornady Unique sizing wax as the case lube. Both of these waxes get applied very sparingly. I then dip the neck of the bottleneck case in a jar of BB shot saturated with graphite to dry lube the inside and outside of the neck.

After FL sizing, I simply vigorously wipe the case with a paper towel to remove all vestiges of case wax and graphite from the outside of the case body and neck. A film of graphite remains on the inside of the neck for ease of insertion of the projectile. It also lubed the inside of the neck for the neck sizing button to easily pass through.

I would add that so little of the case sizing wax is needed - just a very thin film - that it easily comes right off. The beauty of both Imperial sizing wax and Hornady Unique sizing wax is that so little gets applied to effectively lube the case for sizing. My one container of each may last my entire reloading lifetime, and likelly will.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Thanks for all the help. Basically, I'm using the RCBS because it came with all the reloading equipment I was given. (I also have some Hornady "One Shot" spray but have yet to try it). I have heard a lot of great things about Imperial wax but again, I'm using what I was given.
The die set is a 3-die Dillon set with the carbide expander, and I also bought a Dillon headspace gauge. I've re-sized quite a few .223 cases without an issue (although a few cases DID need to be re-trimmed after sizing). I'm going slowly and taking my time......this is a learning experience for me. I will probably just carefully wipe the cases (but change the cloth often) and get them really clean because I DON'T know if the RCBS lube effects the powder or primer. I DO know the Hornady "One Shot" does not effect powder.....but I'm not using it, I'm using the RCBS stuff on a pad.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 844 Times on 612 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Though "One Shot" is more $$$ it is the easiest way to go. I have been using it for .243, .308, & 30-06, for a couple years. There is no worry about powder or primer contamination.
Follow the directions. It's way way quicker.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 02-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #6

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
Though "One Shot" is more $$$ it is the easiest way to go. I have been using it for .243, .308, & 30-06, for a couple years. There is no worry about powder or primer contamination.
Follow the directions. It's way way quicker.

I agree. I have RCBS lube/pad and the one shot. The pad will likely never be used again. If you are set on the RCBS lube and pad you can just re-tumble the brass. It takes more time and you'll need to make sure the primer holes are free of media afterwards.

The beauty of the "One Shot" is that it lubes inside of the case neck and the body at the same time. No extra steps.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I have 3 pump spray bottles of One Shot on my loading bench and their is a RCBS roller pad down there somewhere and if it ever turns up its going in the trash. I throw the brass in a ultrasonic cleaner and run it for 5 minutes and then rinse them under running water.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #8

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

I just tumble them after I resize and prime them. Never had a problem.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:53 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
I just tumble them after I resize and prime them. Never had a problem.
I have done that too, you just have to check the flash hole to make sure its not stopped up with tumbling media.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis