Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Newbie looking for an M1 Garand load (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/newbie-looking-m1-garand-load-48504/)

ArmyGuy 09-19-2011 11:26 PM

Newbie looking for an M1 Garand load

2 Attachment(s)
I just started reloading and was hoping someone here would be willing to give some advice. I have reloaded a whopping 80 rounds so far for my M1. The guys at the gun shop told me to use Winchester 748 powder, CCI 200 primers with 168 grain Sierra Matchking hollow point bullets. So far I have had a couple learning experiences (see photo of swager), but it's been a blast learning. I have 40 rounds with 56.1 grains of powder and the other 40 with 57. I won't be able to fire any until this Friday, but was wondering what you guys think. Is what I'm doing an ok load? Is there a better bullet or powder to use? Any advice would be appreciated.

JonM 09-19-2011 11:53 PM

the newest hornady load manual has some good m1 garand loads. i use those loads for my 1903a3.

robocop10mm 09-20-2011 12:29 AM

That sounds way too hot for a Garand. Winchester does not list that powder with that bullet weight. With the 150 gr bullet, they recommend a max of 48 gr. The heavier bullet will raise pressure even more.

DO NOT TRY THOSE LOADS IN A GARAND!!!!!

They list a similar powder (BLC-2) with the 168 gr bullet. The charges run 46 - 51gr. In my experience BLC-2 has a bit more energy than 748. Even so, 56 grains? Break them down and start over.

Use a powder with listed loads. A Garand is a rifle that is pressure (curve) sensitive.

robocop10mm 09-20-2011 12:34 AM

I have been known to go off book a bit on loads, but I have been doing this for nearly 30 years and I am very careful about it. I may or may not use that bullet/powder combination. I would back that starting load off at least 6 full grains. ;);););)

ArmyGuy 09-20-2011 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm
That sounds way too hot for a Garand. Winchester does not list that powder with that bullet weight. With the 150 gr bullet, they recommend a max of 48 gr. The heavier bullet will raise pressure even more.

DO NOT TRY THOSE LOADS IN A GARAND!!!!!

They list a similar powder (BLC-2) with the 168 gr bullet. The charges run 46 - 51gr. In my experience BLC-2 has a bit more energy than 748. Even so, 56 grains? Break them down and start over.

Use a powder with listed loads. A Garand is a rifle that is pressure (curve) sensitive.

Wow, I'm glad I posed the question on here. After double checking my book (and realizing it wasn't on the right page anymore) I noticed I was WAY wrong. I am attaching the page out of my book (reloading manual #14, Speer bullets) that came with the kit I bought. I went off of what the guy at the gun store told me so I have 8lbs of Winchester 748 to use up. Which one of these is it closest to? I guess now I'm at the point I just need a safe load to use up my stock before buying the correct stuff from the book. I will definitely take your advice and knock it down to at least 50 grains per round. I guess it's a good thing I bought the bullet puller :)

Durangokid 09-20-2011 02:20 AM

Win 748 is a good choice for the old Garand. I would not shoot bullets however above 150 grs. My choice is 52/748 and a 147 FMJ BT with a Federal 215. I have been shooting these rifles for over 50 years. They are around 70 years old by now. The old girls will not take the hammering of heavy bullets. You will bend the OP rods and or crack the rear reciever area.:)

ArmyGuy 09-20-2011 06:04 PM

Thank you for all the advice. I will make the necessary adjustments and see what happens :)