New to the world of 45-70s, looking for load data!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New to the world of 45-70s, looking for load data!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hi all, new to the forum! So far I have found lots of useful info. I just sold my ak-47 for a nice profit and wound up buying another toy... A Marlin 1895SS Guide gun in 45-70. In the summer I usually camp where the animals can turn out not so friendly, and this gun will be my new camping/hunting rifle. I reload my own ammo but until I can cough up the dough for a die set I figured I would gather info on what some great backwood loads are? What do you use? Are they safe loads in a Marlin? And do they have knockdown for angry black bears? Info and stories are all welcome! Thanks a ton!

Last edited by SoCOgunner92; 03-06-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

No knowledge but brother has one it was fun to shoot

Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #3

Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The 45-70 is a cool rifle and has less recoil than some other deer rifles.
This rifle has never had a deer run off when shot with a 325 gr. Hornady FTX.
For larger game you might use a 350 gr. Swift A Frame.
Welcome to the club
This rifle has a Kahles 3X9 and it stays zero, but any good scope will work.

002.jpg  

Last edited by blindshooter; 03-06-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9385 Times on 4047 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Factory loads are going to be rather wimpy, out of fear of blowing up somone's trapdoor rifle. Try these: http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45-70&Weight=All&type=rifle&Order=Powder&Source

With the right bullet, should be able to stop anything not found in Africa or a zoo.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

12-14 grains of unique seems to be a popular load of course you could always use bp.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Factory loads are going to be rather wimpy, out of fear of blowing up somone's trapdoor rifle. Try these: http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45-70&Weight=All&type=rifle&Order=Powder&Source

With the right bullet, should be able to stop anything not found in Africa or a zoo.
45-70's have done the big 5 and elephants. buffalo bore makes some really good hardcast solids that will do wonders on bear or moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCOgunner92 View Post
Hi all, new to the forum! So far I have found lots of useful info. I just sold my ak-47 for a nice profit and wound up buying another toy... A Marlin 1895SS Guide gun in 45-70. In the summer I usually camp where the animals can turn out not so friendly, and this gun will be my new camping/hunting rifle. I reload my own ammo but until I can cough up the dough for a die set I figured I would gather info on what some great backwood loads are? What do you use? Are they safe loads in a Marlin? And do they have knockdown for angry black bears? Info and stories are all welcome! Thanks a ton!
i would suggest springing for a bear proof ejector from wild west guns and one of their aluminum followers to replace that sheap plastic follower. they tend to shatter in cold weather under stiff recoil locking your feed tube solid.

the xs ghostring sights with rail is a fantastic addon. allows the use of qd mounts for optics and still retain reallllly good irons

here is my 1895gbl ignore the acog i put it on there as a joke they arent usable on a lever gun

the round there is using a 350 grain hornady soft point. i typically use 405 grain hardcast flatpoints. VERY accurate bullet in my rifle. 350 grain is a little light for great accuracy but usable for deer or bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
12-14 grains of unique seems to be a popular load of course you could always use bp.
unique is a very fast pistol powder not a good idea in a rifle cartridge. in the 45-70 14 grains of unique is verrrrry dangerous as it doesnt fill much of the case and can easily cause detonation.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-07-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I will share the warning. I know more than a few people who use that.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #8

Well thanks for the replies! Great folks on here. I just got home from firing my first box of rounds and all I can say is this rifle and cartridge combo is sheer amazing. It handles really well and sounds like artillery! I didn't have much for targets set up but I threw a Gatorade bottle out on my home range and cracked it at around 50 yards. I can say I have a new love! I put on a nice recoil pad and I am looking into the accessories listed in the replies. The factory loads I did manage to find were light 300 grain Federal hunting round but it was fun as heck. I can't wait to try some hand loads beefed up a bit, and have it ready for camping.
I am adding a quick picture of my Marlin after I shot it

image-2651452398.jpg  

Old 03-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #9

Sorry about quality, took it with a phone

Old 03-07-2013, 03:58 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

Stay away from hornady leverrevolution ammo. The cases are way way short. Short cases like the hornady can cause excessive fouling ahead of the throat and subsequently cause actual length cartridges to jam in the chamber or difficulty in chambering.

Works much like shooting a bunch of 2 3/4 shotgun shells out of a 3inch chamber then using a 3iinch shell jams right up and sometimes rips rims off leaving a stuck shell.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...