Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   New to the world of 45-70s, looking for load data! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/new-world-45-70s-looking-load-data-85931/)

SoCOgunner92 03-06-2013 10:16 PM

Hi all, new to the forum! So far I have found lots of useful info. I just sold my ak-47 for a nice profit and wound up buying another toy... A Marlin 1895SS Guide gun in 45-70. In the summer I usually camp where the animals can turn out not so friendly, and this gun will be my new camping/hunting rifle. I reload my own ammo but until I can cough up the dough for a die set I figured I would gather info on what some great backwood loads are? What do you use? Are they safe loads in a Marlin? And do they have knockdown for angry black bears? Info and stories are all welcome! Thanks a ton!

Buckeyeborn 03-06-2013 10:20 PM

No knowledge but brother has one it was fun to shoot

blindshooter 03-06-2013 10:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 45-70 is a cool rifle and has less recoil than some other deer rifles.
This rifle has never had a deer run off when shot with a 325 gr. Hornady FTX.
For larger game you might use a 350 gr. Swift A Frame.
Welcome to the club
This rifle has a Kahles 3X9 and it stays zero, but any good scope will work.

c3shooter 03-06-2013 11:30 PM

Factory loads are going to be rather wimpy, out of fear of blowing up somone's trapdoor rifle. Try these: http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45-70&Weight=All&type=rifle&Order=Powder&Source

With the right bullet, should be able to stop anything not found in Africa or a zoo.

mountainman13 03-06-2013 11:33 PM

12-14 grains of unique seems to be a popular load of course you could always use bp.

JonM 03-07-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1166522)
Factory loads are going to be rather wimpy, out of fear of blowing up somone's trapdoor rifle. Try these: http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45-70&Weight=All&type=rifle&Order=Powder&Source

With the right bullet, should be able to stop anything not found in Africa or a zoo.

45-70's have done the big 5 and elephants. buffalo bore makes some really good hardcast solids that will do wonders on bear or moose

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCOgunner92 (Post 1166425)
Hi all, new to the forum! So far I have found lots of useful info. I just sold my ak-47 for a nice profit and wound up buying another toy... A Marlin 1895SS Guide gun in 45-70. In the summer I usually camp where the animals can turn out not so friendly, and this gun will be my new camping/hunting rifle. I reload my own ammo but until I can cough up the dough for a die set I figured I would gather info on what some great backwood loads are? What do you use? Are they safe loads in a Marlin? And do they have knockdown for angry black bears? Info and stories are all welcome! Thanks a ton!

i would suggest springing for a bear proof ejector from wild west guns and one of their aluminum followers to replace that sheap plastic follower. they tend to shatter in cold weather under stiff recoil locking your feed tube solid.

the xs ghostring sights with rail is a fantastic addon. allows the use of qd mounts for optics and still retain reallllly good irons

here is my 1895gbl ignore the acog i put it on there as a joke they arent usable on a lever gun

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/6592/img0666t.jpg

the round there is using a 350 grain hornady soft point. i typically use 405 grain hardcast flatpoints. VERY accurate bullet in my rifle. 350 grain is a little light for great accuracy but usable for deer or bear.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/4385/img0667o.jpg



Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1166527)
12-14 grains of unique seems to be a popular load of course you could always use bp.

unique is a very fast pistol powder not a good idea in a rifle cartridge. in the 45-70 14 grains of unique is verrrrry dangerous as it doesnt fill much of the case and can easily cause detonation.

mountainman13 03-07-2013 12:45 AM

I will share the warning. I know more than a few people who use that.

SoCOgunner92 03-07-2013 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well thanks for the replies! Great folks on here. I just got home from firing my first box of rounds and all I can say is this rifle and cartridge combo is sheer amazing. It handles really well and sounds like artillery! I didn't have much for targets set up but I threw a Gatorade bottle out on my home range and cracked it at around 50 yards. I can say I have a new love! I put on a nice recoil pad and I am looking into the accessories listed in the replies. The factory loads I did manage to find were light 300 grain Federal hunting round but it was fun as heck. I can't wait to try some hand loads beefed up a bit, and have it ready for camping.
I am adding a quick picture of my Marlin after I shot it

SoCOgunner92 03-07-2013 01:16 AM

Sorry about quality, took it with a phone

JonM 03-07-2013 02:58 AM

Stay away from hornady leverrevolution ammo. The cases are way way short. Short cases like the hornady can cause excessive fouling ahead of the throat and subsequently cause actual length cartridges to jam in the chamber or difficulty in chambering.

Works much like shooting a bunch of 2 3/4 shotgun shells out of a 3inch chamber then using a 3iinch shell jams right up and sometimes rips rims off leaving a stuck shell.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:47 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.