New to shot shell reloading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New to shot shell reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default New to shot shell reloading

Not really alot of talk on shot shell reloading available.. I got a lee load all 2 press for christmas and want to load a few duck loads. It all seems fairly simple (press is a little cheap looking, all plastic but gets good reviews) I've got a lyman shot shell reloading manual, clay buster wads, bpi over shot cards and bpi #6 steel shot ordered. I was going to get powder and primers after I get my manual.. Any other suggestions on items I will need before reloading? I am a little intimidated by the amount of different types of wads available so I stuck with basics.. Also can you reuse once fired factory hulls or do you have to buy them special (i seen brass hulls on midway, whats up with that?) and lastly can I mix shot sizes? (#4 and #6 would make the ultimate load for me) any suggestions from an experienced shot shell reeloader would be great. I can already see I will need to eventually get a mec press

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i reload rifle and pistol cartridges. i have been thinking about getting into loading shotgun shells.

subscribed to pick up up new information.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i reload rifle and pistol cartridges. i have been thinking about getting into loading shotgun shells.

subscribed to pick up up new information.
I reload rifle and pistol as well, looks like we took the same approach
Old 01-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #4

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwashere View Post
Not really alot of talk on shot shell reloading available.. I got a lee load all 2 press for christmas and want to load a few duck loads. It all seems fairly simple (press is a little cheap looking, all plastic but gets good reviews) I've got a lyman shot shell reloading manual, clay buster wads, bpi over shot cards and bpi #6 steel shot ordered. I was going to get powder and primers after I get my manual.. Any other suggestions on items I will need before reloading? I am a little intimidated by the amount of different types of wads available so I stuck with basics.. Also can you reuse once fired factory hulls or do you have to buy them special (i seen brass hulls on midway, whats up with that?) and lastly can I mix shot sizes? (#4 and #6 would make the ultimate load for me) any suggestions from an experienced shot shell reeloader would be great. I can already see I will need to eventually get a mec press
I'm not a reloaded yet but there's a channel on YouTube called fortunecookie45lc who has several shotgun reloading videos.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i think when i get closer to the idea of actually making the decision to load shotgun shells, i'll probably buy some specific books on shotshell reloading.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Shot shell reloading is prety straight forward. Steel shot loading is NOT! Be very careful as steel shot requires special wads and unique loading data. The Lee Load All II may not be suitable for steel shot

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #7

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

Default Shotshell Reloading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwashere View Post
Nick,

1st - Read the section in that Lyman manual regarding "Why steel shot is different". Bet those Clay Buster wads are for lead shot only. Make sure you have a wad designed for steet shot or you could damage your barrel and choke.

There are so many ways to fill a shotshell hull. Shotshell reloading recipes basically give you a combination of powder + wad + shot such that you can get that column to end up at the right height in that specific hull to crimp it and keep it crimped.

Yes you can reuse hulls - some can shot and reused several times.

Yes you can mix shot sizes, but IME, the mixed load that results is not as effective as the same load with the just smaller size shot. As the larger shot will retain more velocity, thus:
If loaded on top of the shot column, it leaves the smaller shot behind or
if loaded at the bottom of the shot column, it knocks the smaller shot out of its way messing up the overall pattern.

You'll do fine with that lee loader as long as your loading for a pump, single or O/U shotgun. That MEC hull sizer is best if loading for a semi-auto.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

On a side note, the Load All II is a decent "starter" machine. It will turn out good quality shells, just more slowly than even the basic MEC 600Jr.

I do not recall Claybuster making ANY wads for steel shot. BE VERY CAREFUL!!! BPI makes very good steel shot wads. Hulls can be used several times. They will last linger and give nicer crimps if you invest in a tool called a Spin Doctor from BPI. It will condition the mouths and make them last longer.

Not all hulls are made the same. #1 make sure you use the EXACT hull the receipe calls for. #2 learn the differences in the hulls. Generally speaking a ribbed body is indicitive of a cheap hull (throw away). Most smooth body hulls are compression formed one piece bodies that will give 4-5 good loadings.

You want
Winchester AA or Super X hulls
Federal Gold Medal
Remington RXP, Gun Club, or like hulls.

If you look into the mouth of the hull and see a uniform color all the way to the primer and a small ring around the primer you have a good hull. Plastic (usually white) or cardboard filler wads at the base are a NO GO! Do not waste your time with them. These filler wads can become detached and get stuck in the bore. This is a receipe for disaster.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #9

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I use the MEC 9000 air piston. I use it to load slugs mostly these days. Shot has got so expensive loading shot shells in not worth it. I cast slugs and just have fun shooting rocks.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:56 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Nitestalker, do you fold crimp the slugs (Lee key drive slugs). I cast slugs (Lyman) and roll crimp

"Robo is right" Fuzzball