New to the reloading world
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New to the reloading world

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default New to the reloading world

I recently bought a Lee Value turret press kit, .40 4 die set, and safety primer feed. Can't wait for it all to be in Friday and to get an idea how everything works together. Besides all the consumables, what else do I need to get?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2012, 03:41 AM   #2

Likes Given: 1

And the book "The ABC's of Reloading "

Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

welcome to the world of reloading. A LOT of very knowledgable folks around here to lean on..lord knows i have.

at least one good manual, Lyman, Hornady etc. Powder scale. powder measure/ thrower, case trimmer and length gauge, tumbler and media. The list is varied and nearly endless.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Can never go wrong with a good scale and a few different manuals. The best thing really to have is patience. Take it slow and have fun with it. Welcome to an addictive hobby!!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #5

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyZ28 View Post
I recently bought a Lee Value turret press kit, .40 4 die set, and safety primer feed. Can't wait for it all to be in Friday and to get an idea how everything works together. Besides all the consumables, what else do I need to get?
Hi Corey and welcome to the wonderfully rewarding world of hand-loading. I've been shooting and reloading for over 40 years and load many different calibers, 40S&W being one of them. With the advent of the Glock (and maybe some others), we have to deal with case bulge just forward of the rim on fired cases. This bulge is caused by a partially unsupported chamber (which Glocks have) which allows the case to bulge a bit more than a barrel with a fully supported chamber. So if you pick up range brass or buy once-fired brass, there may be some cases that have been "Glocked". A standard sizing doesn't/can't push the case far enough in to the die to remove this very slight bulge. Left unattended, this slight bulge may be just enough to cause a failure to go in to battery (failure to chamber). Lee sells a little kit to remove this bulge. It's called the "Bulge Buster". Do a search for it on youtube and watch a few videos on it. Also, a "go/no go" gauge is helpful for any auto round as it allows you to cull out any loaded rounds that don't fit in the gauge properly. Over time, you will probably acquire quite a bit of reloading paraphernalia. It's just the nature of this endeavor. Youtube has tons of videos on reloading. I've included a few below. And as other have said, buy a good handloading book. I use the Dillon 550B progressive reloading press which is what Hickok45 uses in his videos below. At some point, you may want to upgrade to a progressive press and the Dillon 550B is an excellent choice for around $450. It will reload around 500 rounds per hour. I also have a little Lee single stage press like yours which I use for miscellaneous operations such as the "Bulge Buster". I also cast my own bullets and recover and recycle lead from my shooting range. So my only recurring cost are for powder and primers. I can reload any handgun caliber for around $2.00 a box. I just recently bought 2000 once-fired 40S&W cases for $78.00 including shipping from Top Brass Reloading Supplies. http://www.topbrassreloading.com/ Places like Lee Precision, Dillon Precision, and Midwayusa.com are excellent places to order from, as are tons of other internet sites. Get in the habit of searching for stuff on the internet. It's a really great resource. One more thing. Don't load up a thousand rounds only to find something ain't right. Load just 20 rounds and fire them in your gun. Load 20 more and fire them. If you didn't have any glitches, then your dies are adjusted properly and you can load those thousand rounds. Even when using a "go/no go" gauge, any time you change dies/calibers it's wise to go through this test phase.

Happy hand-loading, and always be safe.

Don <><

Handloading Basics (Decision to make)

Handloading Part 1

Handloading Part 2

Using the Lee Bulge Buster

Using a case gauge

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Last edited by genesis; 09-05-2012 at 03:13 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Listen to these guys they know what they are talking about. I just started reloading also. I bought the ABC's of reloading first then got a press and other goodies. I am starting with 223/556 then after I feel good about it I will move to 40s&w. I am doing this cause as I have read and learned the 40 requires a few more add-on's such as the bulge buster as I shoot Glock.

Last edited by GaMatt72; 09-06-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

The only bad thng I see in the above videos is that they guy's loading area is too messy. Kepp your area neat and keep stuff put away. Too much "stuff" near you while reloading can lead to costly mistakes. I'm just sayin'......
cottontop

Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #8

Liked 2007 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

One thing that I do when starting a new caliber is to make a bunch of dummy rounds. I will use enought to fill a mag. I make them without powder or primer. I dissasemble the gun and use the barrel to test fit the rounds. Then when I have enough I reassemble and load a mag. It is easy to tell which are dummies later because they have no primers. Anyway, I load up a mag full of dummies and see if they cycle nice and easy. If so then I make real ammo. Dont load more than one box before going to the range. Or you may find that you just made 500 rounds of ammo that your gun doesn't like.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #9

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
The only bad thng I see in the above videos is that they guy's loading area is too messy. Kepp your area neat and keep stuff put away. Too much "stuff" near you while reloading can lead to costly mistakes. I'm just sayin'...... cottontop
I'm guilty.

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #10

Liked 699 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
The only bad thng I see in the above videos is that they guy's loading area is too messy. Kepp your area neat and keep stuff put away. Too much "stuff" near you while reloading can lead to costly mistakes. I'm just sayin'......
cottontop
Compared to mine it looks pretty neat.

Last edited by beaglesam; 09-08-2012 at 12:34 AM.