New to reloading What should I get? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New to reloading What should I get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Caliber info. and goals needed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren2 View Post
The question you are asking is a horse of many colors. It depends on what you want to do. How many cals do you want to reload? Are you going to do just pistol, just rifle, or both? And of course what volume of reloading? And of course the biggie... how much can you afford?
Since the questions is "what should you get", you need to answer the above questions first for anyone to give you any specific recommendations. Also, what are your goals for said reloads? Plinking, match accuracy or ?

For example, I just ordered a Dillon progressive press for loading my pistol rounds. I only blast away at targets for fun at the range with my pistols, no great accuracy needed and a progressive will speed things up.

For short range rifle accuracy work, I throw my powder charges with a Harrell's powder measure, using a Pact Digital scale to weigh the charges when setting up the measure. I resize my cases on an RCBS Rock Chucker press using Redding Type S dies and seat the bullets with a Hart Arbor press using Wilson inline seating dies.

For my long range match loads, I weigh out each charge using the Pact powder dispenser and digital scale combo. I resize and seat bullets the same as above.

I use a K&M neck turner, my match rifles have tight neck chambers so the brass needs to be turned. I use a Lee primer seater, I like the "feel" when seating primers. I know there are nicer units out there but, this is what I started with and it works for me.

Knowing what I know now, I would have bought the Redding or Lyman turret press for loading my rifle rounds, then I wouldn't have to change out the dies when switching calibers.

If you're not worried about extreme rifle accuracy, get yourself a "loaded" progressive that will handle all of the calibers (pistol & rifle) you intend to reload for. Not all presses will load all rifle calibers.

Hope this helps you see, there's a lot more thought that needs to be put into it based on your goals.

-Rick

Unbiased Barnard, BAT, Kelbly, Nesika Bay x2, Remington x3, Browning, Marsh, Ruger x2, Savage x3, UltraLight Arms, AR15 x3 owner. I like 'em all.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #12

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/new-reloading-look-here-15130/#post121699

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/reloading-tips-techniques-helpful-hints-22052/#post211292

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

First of all you need to get a reloading book (speer)read it over and over and always follow the steps in order. I started cause my uncle gave me a rcbs rockchuck and a box of speer 38 special lead bullet heads. I bought a lee powder drop the dies for 38 spl and 40 s/w carbide, lee auto primer, small pistol primers and you need brass. Lee is real cheap and good!

photo_041510_002.jpg   photo_041510_001.jpg