New to reloading What should I get?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New to reloading What should I get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to reloading What should I get?

I am new to guns but have become interested reloading. What presses do you think are the best for a beginner? What else I need to get? Thanks for all your help. I love getting all this good advice from you guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #2

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Start with a good reloading manual, read it front to back, and it should help you to decide what to get to start the hobby of reloading. From that point you will find things that work better and end up replacing items as you go.

I started with a RCBS Jr. press and still have and use it. I have been adding stuff over the years, a little here and a little there.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 2498

Default Reloading.

Dillon.

Several years ago bought a Dillon

Loaded a bunch of pistol ammo. in different calibers.

go to the Dillon site and check out the stuff.

www. dillonprecision.com

And great customer service.

Have to add.

Reloading only pays off,
IF you shoot A WHOLE BUNCH.
I was shooting two, three days a week.
Was loading,
45.acp,
45 auto rim,
44 special.

Last edited by shadecorp; 04-14-2010 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Clarification

Old 04-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Understanding the reloading process is the up most in importance. Once you have gotten an understanding of the process, you need to ask yourself - How much shooting and what kind of shooting are you going to do ?

You never did say why you want to reload ?

Accuracy - Yes you control the process, and you create the best and accurate ammo.

Cost Savings - You have to shoot alot of rounds to get cost savings here. I would say 1,000 rounds a month per caliber to realize any savings.

No commercial source for Ammo - As long as you can find components to load these rounds, cost is not a problem.

Hobby - A lot of people do this as a hobby - cost is no problem, you enjoy doing it and gets you away from your better half if you have one.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:02 PM   #5

I'm looking to be able to shoot more for less. I also am interested in making all my cartridges the same so that I can shoot more accurately. Your last point is also a good one. As much as I love my girl friend it is nice to have my own thing. She's not into shooting so it'd just be me

Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvcandyman View Post
I am new to guns but have become interested reloading. What presses do you think are the best for a beginner? What else I need to get? Thanks for all your help. I love getting all this good advice from you guys.
I would start out with a reloading kit such as a RCBS R-S-5 Starter Kit or Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit or Reading Boss Pro Pack Reloading Kit. They come with most of the items you will need and include a reloading manual. They will get you started, and you can add other item as you go.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Opaww said it best. Get a few reloading manuals, read through them and then decide what equipment would best fit your needs. I know a lot of folks don't like to red, but this operation requires a bit of intelligence and complete understanding of the role (proper application) of each component and it's limitations/thresholds. hazard awareness and material handling are also important.

Start with "The ABC's of Reloading" AT THE VERY LEAST then maybe check out a "Lyman" guide, then get into more specific literature for the type of reloading you plan on doing.

I'm pretty new to reloading, so I can only tell you how to learn. But if you have to ask " What Do I Need?" You need to do some reading.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

^ +1 diggs.

I used to reload, and then put it all away when other things took priority. Now I'm back to reloading again and had to sit down and give myself a total refresher. Read everything you can, know what everything does and how it does it. And above all be diligent and lock the distractions on the other side of the door.

I started with a single stage Lee press and moved up to and RCBS Rockchucker and then added a Piggyback II which is what I still use. Although I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade again.

And don't skimp on a scale. Get a good one, it's worth it.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #9

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

A good book is a must. I have a rock chucker press. RCBS does make great equipment. Lee is not bad and a lot cheaper. I prefer RCBS, but started with LEE. You will need a press. Do you have a garage and a work bench to mount one on? Are you confined to an apartment? This will have a lot to do with your selection.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The question you are asking is a horse of many colors. It depends on what you want to do. How many cals do you want to reload? Are you going to do just pistol, just rifle, or both? And of course what volume of reloading? And of course the biggie... how much can you afford?

If your just going to do one or two cals and only shoot 100-200 a month then a simple C clamp single stage would be the cheapest way to go. However as your volume of shooting goes up, then you would want something a bit faster to use such as maybe one of the Lee 4 hole turret systems. Someone would find these more than capable of doing the 200-300+ a month they are shooting.

Now if your going out say a couple of times a month and shooting 250-500 rounds each time you will need something capable of doing that volume. For this type of reloading i would always recommend a Dillon 550B system. This press will do 250-300 per hour with no problems and will do all cals in pistol and rifle. A well built press will last you a lifetime, so a little extra spent on a really good system is not a waste.

One little hint i might give is purchase the Lee dies for what ever you want to load. Very good dies at half the price of some of the other brands. Another tip is figure out what power you want to use and buy it in 4 or 8 pound jugs, you get a much better price. Same with primers, buy them in 5K lots, saves quite a bit of money over time.

No matter what press you go with read everything you can find on reloading and keep your loads under max and you will have a lifetime of fun instead of having blown guns and missing fingers and eyes.