New to reloading. What to get?? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

New to reloading. What to get??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I started with the Lee Classic Turret press and I am very happy with it. I knew I would be upgrading if I started with a single stage. Lee makes a package kit that includes most everything you need except the dies, reloading components, and a caliper that I think I paid around $250.00 for. I figured I have already made that money back with the reloads I have done this past year.
When I first started reloading I would check each round for the right amount of powder on a electronic scale and the OAL with a caliper. Once I felt things were running smoothly I would check every other one and so on. You also can visually check the amount of powder in the casing, if it doesn t look right weight it.
I don't see myself moving up to a progressive press because there is just too much going with each station doing a different step for each round, so to me it is hard to keep an eye on everything. With being very cautious with my reloading I just dont completely trust the equipment to do everything right every time.
I have been doing all handgun reloads, 380 auto, 9mm luger, 45 ACP, 38 spc, and 357 mags. I just started doing .223s for my M&P15.
It is a great hobby but there is a lot to learn and it seems like there is always another piece of equipment to add to your collection. If you cant find an answer to a question after doing some research dont be afraid to ask. I say that because people seem to be more willing to help if you first made an effort to find out yourself.
Have fun and be careful.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I prefer the single press. I have the RCBS set up and I do pistol and rifle rounds. I started off reloading for my glock 22 and 27 which are both .40 cal. It takes no time to know out a batch of a hundred. But usually once you start off with pistol then you want to move up to rifle. To me I think the single stage is alot easier to set up and adjust for accuracy then a multi stage set up. If I went out and shot a 1000 rounds every couple of weeks I would probably want a progressive. But if your just reloading for the 40 cal I would stick with a single stage press. You will make your money back faster and then those bullets will become cheaper. But if you are going to reload for the glock make sure you either get a bulge buster or a different barrel. I only reload my brass 3 times due to the pressures of the 40 and my reloads are usually set at the minimum powder.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 3705 Times on 1904 Posts
Likes Given: 428

I started on an RCBS single stage. As soon as I could afford it, I bought a Dillon progressive. This was a LOONNNGG time ago, but my RL-450 is still going strong nearly 30 years and 100,000 rounds of ammo later.

I still have and use the RCBS for certain calibers and operations. The Dillon will crank out 400 rounds an hour.

Definitely start with a good book. The Lyman's 49th or the ABC's of Reloading re excellent choices.
In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball
Axxe55 Likes This