New To Reloading Questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New To Reloading Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The Lee Trimmer is great - not the spring loaded one with the pull-cord - that is crap. They sell a cutter & lockstud assembly for under $10 and then you buy the individual shell holders and pilots for each caliber - that costs an additional $3 or 4. It's a manual trimmer like working a screw-driver, the nice thing about it is you can chuck it in a drill press or power driver to really speed things up - and it does the same thing as trimmers costing 10 times as much. I've been trimming cases with it for 15 years and the cutter/lockstud have never worn.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-25-2008, 02:29 AM   #12

Default soon to be reloader numbers cruncher

Am poor and have been planning to get into reloading for some time, and have been to various stores keeping track of componets and prices. One thing to do is sit down and study a whole bunch of powder and projectile and barrel length CUP reloading charts. Find your same barrel length and case brand charts to start from.

Another thing is count the trips to the store as part of the cost. Gas money is now a serious factor in any thing nowadays. Catching a ride to the store and checking prices, taking notes, comparing to other stores and making purchase plans for maximum savings.

Another thing is save up as much as you can before every purchase, and make one trip and buy what ever you need as much as possible. Just basic economics that you probably already know , but this will drop per round cost as much as possible, this makes it all the more fun and rewarding. I love ebay, but this is stuff i would not want to buy from some stranger, unless NIB.

Another thing to try is sit down and take a calculator and determine how many loads you can get out of a pound of powder. I made a chart of the different powders that are near what my Lyman Reloaders Manual has listed on the Powder Burn Comparison Rate chart in the back and figured out what powders to try that will yield the most rounds per pound of powder, i have found as much as 20 rounds difference between different powders as a starting point. Also some loads call for a magnum primer with certain powders something i noticed especially with Hodgon powders. This is something to keep in mind as far as primer availability, WLR primers are almost impossible to get where i have been looking,and WLRM are all over. Saftey to be acknowledged here.

7000 grains per pound of powder divided by grains per round makes a big difference in price per round. Studied 243 charts, and determined what powders to use that would cover several cartridges of similar characteristics and be very universal, in the event i get a different gun. When i start to reload i figure at least 25 attempts at a good load for my gun until finding something satisfactory for just "one" particular application say prairie dogs.

Shooting and hotrodding is very similar in the fact they are both expelling hi rates of energy per measured amount of fuel, and improvement is the quest.
A "dynamometer" is how a hotrodder measures scientific real world progress.
A Chronometer is how the reloader measures progress. I wasn't even sure i wanted one of these before i started to talk to real people using them and now i consider it to be part of the package for anyone to make the most efficient use of time.

A chronometer should be acquired or borrowed for abseloute results and improvements to be made.

PS Have seen that Remington and Winchester both sell bulk soft point bullets for cheap!, i plan on getting some of these to start loading with just to get the "feel" of the reloader handle pull and bullet seating pressures (hand pressure) with the reloading equipment before i would load a premium bullet like Barnes "Varmint Grenades".

From someone who has very little money because i spent it all on hotrodding. LOL! I hope this helps.

Sincerely wrench

<striving to enter at the narrow gate>

Old 07-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

PS - Remington bulk bullets are actually quite accurate, and for hunting ammo their soft point bullets cannot be beat for the price.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"