New Reloading Program
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New Reloading Program

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Reloading Program

For no other reason that I think it would be a good challenge, I am endevoring to write a reloading program.

What is the boards thoughts on what it should do? I am working through the database schema right now, so it is still pretty much a blank slate.

While I do not want influence (I am looking for any/all suggestions) a couple things that I will be doing:

1. All pre-loaded data (of whatever type) will be locked an uneditable. If a change to that data is detected, the program will cease to funtion.

2. Images and/or technical drawings for everything. (Not just the brass, but bullets, etc). Note: Everything will be capable of having an image, though there may not be an actual image of that particular item.

3. Printing labels for loaded rounds.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5675 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

are you looking to compile existing load data?? or make a dynamic program??

most of the bullet makers and powder makers provide free load programs.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-16-2010, 11:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
are you looking to compile existing load data?? or make a dynamic program??

most of the bullet makers and powder makers provide free load programs.
I am not sure what you mean by dynamic?

Here is the gist of it:

Relevant bullet, cartidge, powder, load, etc info will be preloaded. There will also be the ability to add your own. Preloaded data is will be protected and not editable.

Loadings will be trackable and performace will in your guns will be trackable. Basic external balistics calculations will also be included.

Basic inventory control, technical drawings, MSDS, etc as well

Again, I still fleshing out the design and interested in feedback from the community.

Last edited by schwefel; 12-16-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

It is already out there. It is a program called quickload.

quickload quicktarget software

Old 12-17-2010, 12:22 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do some hardware development and build an interface to a CNC reloader. THAT would be frick'en sweet! Beer while I watch the reloader? Sure!

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 12-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
It is already out there. It is a program called quickload.

quickload quicktarget software
QuickLoad looks interesting. Seems to be much more focused on the balistics side of things that what I am working on. (Installing the demo right now.)

I am more or less doing an electronic reloading manual and log book that has very basic external balistics functionality.

If I were to try to commercialize this, $150 would be a lot more than I think it should sell for, too.

Thanks for the link Tango.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwefel View Post
I am not sure what you mean by dynamic?
dynamic means the answer changers as you enter data. as in x + y = z change x or y and z auto updtes on the fly.

but as noted above there is already a proggie that does what your doing.

i have a notebook that i keep specific load data for specific guns handy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-17-2010, 12:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
Do some hardware development and build an interface to a CNC reloader. THAT would be frick'en sweet! Beer while I watch the reloader? Sure!
There are lots of off the shelf interfaces out there. Hell, I bought a cheap ($75?), but capable PLC that could be used. Not sure if it has enough inputs/outputs off the top of my head, though.

The hardest part would be the actuator for the ram. It takes a fair amount of force. Not impossible, mind you but that would be the most difficult part. Other than that, a handful of limit/micro switches, some wire and some custom brackets mated with a Lee Load-Master and auto bullet feeder and it is all very doable.

To take it step further, hook it up to an electronic scale (hooked to the computer) to do automated QC on the loaded cartridges.

Would be a great way to turn out pistol ammo at home.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
dynamic means the answer changers as you enter data. as in x + y = z change x or y and z auto updtes on the fly.

but as noted above there is already a proggie that does what your doing.

i have a notebook that i keep specific load data for specific guns handy.
In that respect, yes.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

i havent come across a ballistic proggy or ballistic chart accurate enough to replace trial and error by physically going out shooting and measuring bullet drop at known ranges.