New to Reloading? L@@k here. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New to Reloading? L@@k here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2551 Times on 1455 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post

Before I spend much time learning about a press, the right primers, the various powders, powder scales and bullets Id like to know from those with experience at what stage does it become economically effective to make the investment of hardware.

How many rounds does it take to offset the initial cost of the investment of hardware and the contents of each round? I know there are many variations of each element of the process and many different presses/die sets.

I can do the math - Id just like to know what some are paying per round for the above calibers.
I can only answer to how reloading works for me.

First, have you ever shot top notch premium ammo, say by

Speer, Barnes, or Hornady? My reloads, at less than WWB

cost, per box, shoot like the ammo that costs 2 or three

times as much.

I use, and rebox empties,(right at the range) until I have over

500 of a given caliber, of boxer primed brass. Then I get the

proper die set, powder, and bullets.

For me, saving the brass by the box is the easiest way to

keep it organized, for reloading later.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #32
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 236 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Quality restroom time?

Old 09-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #33

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

4 years and people are still butt hurt. WOW.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #34

Likes Given: 6

I have a few editions of the Nosler Reloading manuals that I use as a reference when dealing with new calibers.

Conservation is the key!

Old 10-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21724 Times on 12314 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
Im familiar with the reloading process from experience with shotgun shells. Reloaded literally thousands.

Before I spend much time learning about a press, the right primers, the various powders, powder scales and bullets Id like to know from those with experience at what stage does it become economically effective to make the investment of hardware.

I have a .40 S&W M&P and a .308 (7.62 NATO) rifle. I have bought 500 rounds of .40 for $209.00 (41¢/rnd at a Gun show) and 100 rounds of .308 for $56.00 + $6.00 S&H (62¢/rnd) shipped to my house.

How many rounds does it take to offset the initial cost of the investment of hardware and the contents of each round? I know there are many variations of each element of the process and many different presses/die sets.

I can do the math - Id just like to know what some are paying per round for the above calibers.
you can buy relaoding kits that are reasonably priced, and if i had to start all over that is probably the approach i would go with and adding what i needed as i needed it or wanted to upgrade.

one of my more expensive rifles to shoot using factory ammo is my 280 Remington. premium Hornady is $40 for a box and the Winchester BT is $44 a box.

using a cost calculator for ammo, i put in the information it costs to reload and here is how it breaks down for me. using brand new brass, it costs me about $33.76 per 20, and reusing my brass, it costs about $11.76 per 20. this is putting together premium loads with Hornady bullets. so i can can load about 80 rounds for the cost of one box of premium box of 20.

here is a link to the reloading cost calculator.

http://ultimatereloader.com/tools/reloading-costs-calculator/

Old 11-04-2013, 03:56 AM   #36

thanks for the link and thank everyone else for all of their postings on reloading, a big help for myself whom is just starting out.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:57 AM   #37

where to you get your barnes bullets and what is the cost?

Old 12-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

sometimes us newbees just like to hear what the experienced loaders have to say.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #39
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadecorp View Post
Well,
I guess this is the post that will get me banned.
I have never seen a copy of "ABC'S of Reloading"
When shooting Trap and Skeet many years ago,
I used my "Ponsness/Warren" to load for Trap and Skeet.
When I started shooting Handguns I went to a "Dillon"press
and the "Lyman" manual.
One thing I "WOULD NOT" do
is use a recipe from an online source.
OK, now you can ban me,
For Not reading The ABCS of Reloading.
Ha Ha Ha,That's a great post Shade.
I don't think that book was even thought of back when I started reloading. My dad bought me a Mec shotgun shell reloader when I was 12-13,because we shot all the time around the farm.
I started reloading metallic cartridges when I was 16,and I'm 49 now. I learned from a friend of my dad's that was a competitive pistol shooter. Steve showed me all the basics,and it grew from there. He gave me my first press,an old wore out Texan press,but it was a great beginning into reloading for me.

New guy's to reloading don't need to buy any of the Reloading Kits. I'd find a good press,either new or used,and then piece together a reloading set-up with other quality equipment. It's hard to tear up reloading gear,and I'd buy most stuff like scales,powder dispensers,and other expensive items used.
You can find some great deals on Ebay for used scales and Uniflow powder dispensers.

As for cost savings reloading ammo.
A lot depends on whether your buying new brass or once shot brass,and also the type / grade of bullets you plan on reloading.
Shooting premium bullets is where you will really save money. I shoot a lot of Berger VLD bullets out of my rifles in many different calibers.
If I went and bought loaded premium ammo with these bullets,I'd pay between $40-$60 per 20 rounds. I pay around $38-$42 for 100 of these bullets,and after loading my own,they cost me under $1 a shell.
So,I'm saving between $100-$200 per 100 cartridges by loading them myself,and they are also tailored to the exact rifle that they are loaded for,giving me more accuracy over the factory stuff.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Ok we get a lot of I'm new to reloading what should I buy. There are some on here that like me like RCBS and Dillon some like RL357 like Lee. Some like lyman. Some don't give a darn they just buy something and load on it.

The very first thing you should buy before even comming on here and asking that question is the books below.

ABC's of Reloading

A reloading manual weather it is Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Lyman, Or any other get one maby two. I have myself 2 Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Lyman, Hodgdon, Midwayusa loadmaps for my 45acp. and Precision high power rifle loading.

Look at the powder manufactures web sites. They have tons of info on the web for FREE. Hodgdon who makes Hodgdon, Winchester, and IMR powder has a searchable database of everyone of their powder and thousands of bullets in their's.

Read these book cover to cover and then read them again.

Then come in here and ask specific questions to guys that have been reloading for many years. I myself have been loading for over 25 years. I learned starting at 7 and 8 years old.

Guys of the FTF Reloading forum add to what I have said and I will ask to STICKY this thread at the top of the reloading forum.
well I haven't been reloading for 25 years but I use hornady reloading books, reloading is not that hard and if you stay medium happy on the load chart and keep your OAL reasonable, use a case gage and you can't go wrong. you can croney later on to get your loads best suited for you different types of guns, as far as questions on the forum, thats what most of us are here for, theres no stupid question my gun friends.....