New to Reloading? L@@k here. - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New to Reloading? L@@k here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Hi Josh

I kind of like Lee's dies and reloading stuff, but any brand will do the job for you, as to presses that might be a problem now, almost any supplier is backordered even on presses. What type of press are you looking for a single stage press, turret press or a progressive?

Just so I don't get in trouble for answering a question and asking one, I have been reloading for over 9 years and have read, Lyman's 48th & 49th, Hornady's 7th & 8th Edition, Lee's 1st and 2nd and Hodgdon's 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010 (skipped 2009), 2011th as well as Speer's #13. But no I have not read the ABC's of Reloading.

Getting back to your question, you may have a wait for components and press to become available.

Good Luck and stay safe.
Jim

Old 04-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #22

does anyone have an opinion on a Hornady lock n load AP? I use to have a Lee Progressive in the 90's. worked well, now getting back into it after a 10 year reat.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #23

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Im familiar with the reloading process from experience with shotgun shells. Reloaded literally thousands.

Before I spend much time learning about a press, the right primers, the various powders, powder scales and bullets Id like to know from those with experience at what stage does it become economically effective to make the investment of hardware.

I have a .40 S&W M&P and a .308 (7.62 NATO) rifle. I have bought 500 rounds of .40 for $209.00 (41¢/rnd at a Gun show) and 100 rounds of .308 for $56.00 + $6.00 S&H (62¢/rnd) shipped to my house.

How many rounds does it take to offset the initial cost of the investment of hardware and the contents of each round? I know there are many variations of each element of the process and many different presses/die sets.

I can do the math - Id just like to know what some are paying per round for the above calibers.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 08-18-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3036 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
Im familiar with the reloading process from experience with shotgun shells. Reloaded literally thousands.
Before I spend much time learning about a press, the right primers, the various powders, powder scales and bullets Id like to know from those with experience at what stage does it become economically effective to make the investment of hardware.
I have a .40 S&W M&P and a .308 (7.62 NATO) rifle. I have bought 500 rounds of .40 for $209.00 (41¢/rnd at a Gun show) and 100 rounds of .308 for $56.00 + $6.00 S&H (62¢/rnd) shipped to my house.

How many rounds does it take to offset the initial cost of the investment of hardware and the contents of each round? I know there are many variations of each element of the process and many different presses/die sets.

I can do the math - Id just like to know what some are paying per round for the above calibers.
I shoot cast .40 for between $12 - $14 per hundred. Decent quality jacketed bullets would probably push it to maybe $23-$25 per hundred. Bulk purchasing can cut that down some more, I'm guesstimating using local off-the-shelf retail prices. A nice big purchase at Powder Valley or similar could save you big money.
I don't load .308, but $0.62 per shot seems like something that could be easily undercut without trying really hard. A smart shopper could probably cut it in half without working too much.

Worth noting, if you do your job, well done reloads are more comparable to match grade ammo as opposed el cheapo bulk ammo. How much is a nice box of match grade .308 ammo? ($35-$40ish IIRC) I load .223, I was shocked at how little effort was needed in working up loads that grouped half the size of of the factory stuff I had on hand...in my first ever attempt at loading for it. Handgun stuff is less dramatic, but building ammo that outgroups Wal-Mart Federal or UMC is still easily done without much effort or cost.
NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 08-18-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #25

Liked 374 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I shoot cast .40 for between $12 - $14 per hundred. Decent quality jacketed bullets would probably push it to maybe $23-$25 per hundred. Bulk purchasing can cut that down some more, I'm guesstimating using local off-the-shelf retail prices. A nice big purchase at Powder Valley or similar could save you big money.
I don't load .308, but $0.62 per shot seems like something that could be easily undercut without trying really hard. A smart shopper could probably cut it in half without working too hard.

Worth noting, if you do your job, well done reloads are more comparable to match grade ammo as opposed el cheapo bulk ammo. How much is a nice box of match grade .308 ammo? ($35-$40ish IIRC) I load .223, I was shocked at how little effort was needed in working up loads that grouped half the size of of the factory stuff I had on hand...in my first ever attempt at loading for it. Handgun stuff is less dramatic, but building ammo that outgroups Wal-Mart Federal or UMC is still easily done without much effort or cost.
100% agreement here I hand load for QUALITY not the cost. Even on match grade .308 my cost is about $30 per hundred. Barnes 169 grain bullets, varget powder, cci match primers and the time to FULLY PREP the cases. No comparable factory load exists. >.25 moa in my varmit rifle

Buy in bulk after you verify the recipe for your gun. Cost is no longer an issue so I shoot MUCH more often. The extra practice definitely makes me a better marksman...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 08-18-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #26

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Thanks for your replies.

The .40 cal prices didnt seem too bad.

.308 can be bought at shows for 50¢/rnd - they just didnt have the qty I wanted, I didnt have much cash and didnt take credit cards - so we passed.

At the Roanoke Gun Show (Showmasters) Sun Aug 18 my son bought 500 rnds 9MM for $139.00 - 28¢/rnd - not bad. Most of our shooting is plinking/target but I would like to get more serious with the .308. Looking for scope mounts and scope right now.

Im retired so I have lots of time.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 611 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 2604

Well,
I guess this is the post that will get me banned.
I have never seen a copy of "ABC'S of Reloading"
When shooting Trap and Skeet many years ago,
I used my "Ponsness/Warren" to load for Trap and Skeet.
When I started shooting Handguns I went to a "Dillon"press
and the "Lyman" manual.
One thing I "WOULD NOT" do
is use a recipe from an online source.
OK, now you can ban me,
For Not reading The ABCS of Reloading.

Last edited by shadecorp; 08-19-2013 at 06:49 PM.
People Like This 
Old 08-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3036 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadecorp View Post
Well,
I guess this is the post that will get me banned.
I have never seen a copy of "ABC'S of Reloading"
When shooting Trap and Skeet many years ago,
I used my "Ponsness/Warren" to load for Trap and Skeet.
When I started shooting Handguns I went to a "Dillon"press
and the "Lyman" manual.
One thing I "WOULD NOT" do is use a recipe from an online source.
I agree to a point.
1. Data from Powder or bullet manufacturers is perfectly fine.
2. Data from Jim-Bobs Pet Load blog can be useful, provided one sanity checks it against other published data.
OK, now you can ban me, for Not reading The ABCS of Reloading. I hope it doesn't come to that.
To be honest, when I started reloading, I did not buy a copy of the ABC's either. Though I have flipped through a copy at the store. I bought the Lyman book, the Lee book and downloaded data from the Powder companies.
However
I was not starting blind. I was already familiar with the process for handgun ammo. My father was a reloader and as a youngster, I helped him with the various processes on occasion, at least enough for me to have a decent working knowledge of the process. Any gaps in my knowledge were nicely addressed in the Lyman Manual.
If one is completely unfamiliar with the process, the ABC's or similar book which would comprise a "Intro to reloading" is advisable, IMHO. The ABC's is a good general "read this and get back to me" book to recommend to some faceless person on the internet that you have no knowledge of. Seeking out a class or a coach might be a decent way forward as well. Sportsman's Warehouse here had classes at one time. I haven't looked recently.
But if one is familiar with the process, one needn't reinvent the wheel.
There is more than one way to skin the cat responsibly.
NRA Life Member

How will we know it's time to gather up the pitchforks & torches and start assembling the guillotine on the DC mall?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 08-19-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #29
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21984 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i do highly recommend the book, The ABC's Of Reloading for those looking to get into reloading or just thinking about it and wanting to understand the procedures and the process of reloading. it is still a good book for even those who are veterans to reloading as well. IMO, it's a very good book and some good reading too.

i don't consider it mandatory to starting to reloading, but it is very helpful, and can save a lot of headaches for the newbie.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #30

Liked 2603 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
A friend who does a lot of reloading recommended the Lyman reloading manual because it lists different weight bullets without promoting a particular brand of bullet. I have a Hornady book which is a good manual but they do promote Hornady bullets. I'm still in the studying phase. I plan to learn to load 44 special. I am reading "Handloader's Digest" and thinking I will use Blue Dot powder.
The Speer book also hawks Speer product.

I agree with the OP, I was interested in reloading,

and got The ABCs of Reloading, as well as the Hornady,

Speer, and Lyman books, and I don't feel over-informed.

I prefer Dillon Precision, especially their scales. Hornady product

is also top notch.

Some folks get along just fine with Lee.