New to reloading, issues with .223 rounds - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

New to reloading, issues with .223 rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You should never have to crimp a rifle round if you have proper neck tension.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyV View Post
They also don't come out all that easily when I pull on the charging handle. Takes a few smacks on the buttstock to get them to come out.
I still think you're collapsing the shoulder and trim length doesn't have anything at all to do with this problem.

To see where the problem is take a round that had these problems and paint the whole thing with a magic marker.

Jam it in there again. (Follow all safety practices, of course, muzzle in safe direction, etc.)

Get the round out of the chamber and see where the ink has been scraped off. I'll wager it's around the bottom of the shoulder.

And no. There should be no need to use a crimp for AR rounds. If you do crimp be sure you are crimping into a cannelure on the bullet or you risk collapsing the shoulder with most crimp dies.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #23

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTexanBoy View Post
You should never have to crimp a rifle round if you have proper neck tension.
I always put a light crimp on my 223 loads with a Lee FCD I guess for piece of mind more than anything else. Very light crimp. Never seen any pressure signs or had any problems. I have seen brass crimped so hard it almost ruined the brass. Come on man. Did I mention very light crimp?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #24

Liked 1257 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 792

i have had a very similar problem. take a deep breath, go back to the beginning and try again. make sure your dies are set correctly. size, trim, and load a few dummies(no powder, no primer) to try. in my case it was the dies was not set quite right shaping the brass out of wack just enough to not chamber.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #25

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Ok, I am just starting reloads for rifle rounds .223, I used lee's lube cuz it was free with my press and it worked well, no neck wrinkles.. Next I cleaned the primer pockets.. Usually with my pistol rounds id run through my tumbler again just to ensure all cases are clean, can I do that with rifle rounds or do they need to stay lubed for the bullet seating die and/or the factory crimp die?

Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

You can tumble if you so desire. Lube is only needed in the full length re size process. Me I just tumble, re size, clean primer pockets, trim and rock and roll

Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45 View Post
I still think you're collapsing the shoulder and trim length doesn't have anything at all to do with this problem.

To see where the problem is take a round that had these problems and paint the whole thing with a magic marker.

Jam it in there again. (Follow all safety practices, of course, muzzle in safe direction, etc.)

Get the round out of the chamber and see where the ink has been scraped off. I'll wager it's around the bottom of the shoulder

And no. There should be no need to use a crimp for AR rounds. If you do crimp be sure you are crimping into a cannelure on the bullet or you risk collapsing the shoulder with most crimp dies.
I got a day off coming Monday, I'll give this a shot. Thanks for the idea.