Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New to reloading, issues with .223 rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg1c View Post
Ok, you may be pushing the shoulder back as you seat bullets...Crimping too mush...
I think this is probably the case. Look closely at the shoulder of the cases that aren't chambering and see if they haven't swelled out a bit.

Stop crimping and/or buy a case gauge and check every round before you try to put it through the rifle. They don't cost much and can save a lot of frustration.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #12

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

You should trim the cases to the 1.75-176 length, when you are seating the bullets, the die should be turned down all the way against the case shoulder and then a little more for the crush to assure it will chamber. This will push the shoulder down just a little and should fix your problem.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #13

The cases I've been working with were fired out of my original AR. I just tried a few that were fired out of my current setup and I had no problems. Case length on all is between 1.751 and 1.756". Infact, all the numbers I've been getting fall in the ranges that have been mentioned and what I've read elsewhere. I've been keeping an eye on the shoulder, there's no swelling or bulging. I guess I just have to buy some ammo and reload after I go thru it.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #14

Liked 2235 Times on 1007 Posts
Likes Given: 2171

Dude you need to listen to Robocop. The very first thing you should have bought when you decided to load bottle neck rifle cartridges is a trimmer. The cases are to long and you are wedging them into the chamber this will cause a serious disaster. Please stop and go get a trimmer.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70
You should trim the cases to the 1.75-176 length, when you are seating the bullets, the die should be turned down all the way against the case shoulder and then a little more for the crush to assure it will chamber. This will push the shoulder down just a little and should fix your problem.
Hey buddy
Have ya seen any more coyotes up in your part of arkansas lately ? . Here's one I Killed last week in my pasture with my S&W Ar . Go hogs

image-3876088389.jpg
Old 01-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #16

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Once you get your cases trimmed to length and you still have the same problem, get a small base full length sizing die, it should solve your problem.
I always use the small base size die for semi auto rifles.

Jim.............

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:22 AM   #17

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
Hey buddy
Have ya seen any more coyotes up in your part of arkansas lately ? . Here's one I Killed last week in my pasture with my S&W Ar . Go hogs

Attachment 78149

Have not seen any lately, plan on looking in the morning! Nice shooting!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #18

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport45 View Post
I think this is probably the case. Look closely at the shoulder of the cases that aren't chambering and see if they haven't swelled out a bit.

Stop crimping and/or buy a case gauge and check every round before you try to put it through the rifle. They don't cost much and can save a lot of frustration.

Sometimes if die are not set right for crimp or seating, they will push the shoulder back,( learned that one time) Easy to check with small straight-edge tool... IE pocket rule.. If you were neck sizing only they need to have been shot in your chamber( I learned that one once, loaded about 300 rounds of once fire brass, just not fired in my gun.....)but you said you were full length sizing so check the case for a swelled shoulder....Sport45 has a good post, a case guide could help you get off to a good start.Read what these guys are saying, they know what they are talking about. Have fun, be safe, wear those saftey glasses.. let us know what you find out, some one else may be readind that need the same help.. Good luck...

Last edited by sarg1c; 01-05-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1744 Times on 949 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Crimping the brass shouldn't matter. I rarely ever crimp my brass.
Are full length or neck sizing your brass?
Is the brass once fired,or from another gun? If so,You need to full length size all of your brass.That can also be an issue,different barrels have different chambers,and if you just neck size brass that wasn't fired from your gun,it can cause issues like your having.
It sounds like a sizing issue or your cases are very long-over 1.760". Most trim the brass to 1.750"
Check the outside diameter of the necks of your brass.They should measure .2532" or smaller,if they measure larger then that could be your problem,or the chamber is really tight in your barrel.
If the outsides of the neck measures are larger than listed,take the sizing mandrel out of your die and measure it.It's not uncommon for them to be a little bigger than they should be.This can be fixed with some sandpaper/emory cloth,and be careful not to take to much off-check the measurement often if your doing this.
As you may have read in some of the other posts, crimping does matter. An improper crimp can cause a bulge. Especially a problem with roll crimps. That is why I use a taper crimp die if I crimp. I also check case length and trim to a uniform length for the batch.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
As you may have read in some of the other posts, crimping does matter. An improper crimp can cause a bulge. Especially a problem with roll crimps. That is why I use a taper crimp die if I crimp. I also check case length and trim to a uniform length for the batch.
Right, Crimping with the seating die can and will push the shoulder back and swell the case if not adj. correctly. The crinm gets too tight on the bullet and if there is still some travel left before bottom of strok, they will push the shoulder down. Just try a small straight edge along case and if so it will show... If crimping I crimp with the LEE Factory crimp die. Same crimp as on FEDERAL shells. AS someone stated above, they don't crimp rifle dies, but if not adj. correctly, the crimp is still there....

Last edited by sarg1c; 01-06-2013 at 12:23 PM.