New to reloading, issues with .223 rounds
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New to reloading, issues with .223 rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to reloading, issues with .223 rounds

I just got into reloading about a month ago. .45ACP and .308 are working just fine out of my 1911 and Remington 700 but what I'm putting together for my AR isn't working out so well. The bolt isn't going the whole way forward with my reloads. They also don't come out all that easily when I pull on the charging handle. Takes a few smacks on the buttstock to get them to come out. I made sure that the case goes as far into the sizing/decapping die as it'll go. The bullet is seated to the same depth as factory loads. OAL is also the same as Hornady V-Max rounds. I do NOT have a case trimmer, I'm guessing this might be my issue but I wanted to ask since these are once fired cases. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

I would think as long as the OAL is okay it should chamber, but I trim all of my rifle brass before I reload it so that would be my only guess, trim them down to the trim to length

Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2011 Times on 1094 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Are you crimping?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #4

I crimped some of the 55gr since they have the cannelure. The 60gr have no cannelure so I didn't crimp them. I am leaning toward the need to trim. A buddy at work has an extra trimmer he's going to lend me so hopefully I can get it figured out.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 578

Crimping the brass shouldn't matter. I rarely ever crimp my brass.
Are full length or neck sizing your brass?
Is the brass once fired,or from another gun? If so,You need to full length size all of your brass.That can also be an issue,different barrels have different chambers,and if you just neck size brass that wasn't fired from your gun,it can cause issues like your having.
It sounds like a sizing issue or your cases are very long-over 1.760". Most trim the brass to 1.750"
Check the outside diameter of the necks of your brass.They should measure .2532" or smaller,if they measure larger then that could be your problem,or the chamber is really tight in your barrel.
If the outsides of the neck measures are larger than listed,take the sizing mandrel out of your die and measure it.It's not uncommon for them to be a little bigger than they should be.This can be fixed with some sandpaper/emory cloth,and be careful not to take to much off-check the measurement often if your doing this.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Crimping the brass shouldn't matter. I rarely ever crimp my brass.
Are full length or neck sizing your brass?
Is the brass once fired,or from another gun? If so,You need to full length size all of your brass.That can also be an issue,different barrels have different chambers,and if you just neck size brass that wasn't fired from your gun,it can cause issues like your having.
It sounds like a sizing issue or your cases are very long-over 1.760". Most trim the brass to 1.750"
Check the outside diameter of the necks of your brass.They should measure .2532" or smaller,if they measure larger then that could be your problem,or the chamber is really tight in your barrel.
If the outsides of the neck measures are larger than listed,take the sizing mandrel out of your die and measure it.It's not uncommon for them to be a little bigger than they should be.This can be fixed with some sandpaper/emory cloth,and be careful not to take to much off-check the measurement often if your doing this.
This is exactly why I came here with these questions! I did use my digital calipers last night and I know I'm "close" to the numbers you listed but I don't remember the exact values. I'll check them again tomorrow after work and see what's what. Hopefully I can come back and say that everything chambered as they should.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:26 AM   #7

Oh and I forgot to mention, I am using a full length sizing die.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:01 AM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I like to check case length for the first couple of loadings. Brass tends to flow forward in new cases (or stretch if you prefer that word). I also neck ream the first couple of times. Just my .02

Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #9

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyV View Post
I just got into reloading about a month ago. .45ACP and .308 are working just fine out of my 1911 and Remington 700 but what I'm putting together for my AR isn't working out so well. The bolt isn't going the whole way forward with my reloads. They also don't come out all that easily when I pull on the charging handle. Takes a few smacks on the buttstock to get them to come out. I made sure that the case goes as far into the sizing/decapping die as it'll go. The bullet is seated to the same depth as factory loads. OAL is also the same as Hornady V-Max rounds. I do NOT have a case trimmer, I'm guessing this might be my issue but I wanted to ask since these are once fired cases. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ok, you may be pushing the shoulder back as you seat bullets...Crimping too mush...

Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

OMG, STOP. If you have not trimmed the cases, you may be into very dangerous territory. Over length .223 WILL cause an overpressure that WILL blow our gun up!!!! Back up and start over.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

rjd3282 Likes This