Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > new to reloading - equipment question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 165 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 260

what is a bulge master?

Old 01-14-2014, 02:45 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
what is a bulge master?

Bulge master? I don't know. Did you mean to put bulge buster that was talked about in an earlier post? That would be a tool to get the last little bit of your brass resized. You may see a bit of brass getting "pushed" towards the base as you use your brass again and again. The bulge buster lets you push the brass through the factory crimp die and resize the whole piece. You should be ok to worry about that later, as you see a need for it.
Good luck.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 PM   #13

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It sizes the last bit of the case to insure feeding. If you have no problems don't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
what is a bulge master?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/358543/redding-g-rx-base-sizing-die-kit-40-s-and-w-357-sig-10mm-auto

Old 01-18-2014, 02:25 AM   #14
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The little LEE Turret is a fine small economical press. I would not recommend it for the 30-06 or other large rifle cases. Yes it will work. Some people trust leaky boats. This little press simply does not have the guts for these jobs. Get an RCBS, Lyman single stage.
My choice would be the Dillon line. They have a program where you can buy a basic machine and add to it as you can afford.
Nitestalker,I've been using Lee turret presses for 30+ years,and have loaded thousands of 25/06-30/06-and 300 WM cases with them.
I don't know where you think they wouldn't have the "guts" for the job. I prefer the Lee turret press over every other turret press made,the others all have too much slop from the turret being supported in the center instead of the outside of the turret head.
I've had a Lyman,and used a friends RCBS turret press,and they have way more vertical movement of the dies than the Lee Classic.
I do agree with you if your talking about the Lee Deluxe turret press,it's a great press for pistol's and smaller rifle cartridges,but probably not the best for larger calibers.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

beaglesam Likes This 
Old 01-19-2014, 03:55 AM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

Nitestalker,I've been using Lee turret presses for 30+ years,and have loaded thousands of 25/06-30/06-and 300 WM cases with them.
I don't know where you think they wouldn't have the "guts" for the job. I prefer the Lee turret press over every other turret press made,the others all have too much slop from the turret being supported in the center instead of the outside of the turret head.
I've had a Lyman,and used a friends RCBS turret press,and they have way more vertical movement of the dies than the Lee Classic.
I do agree with you if your talking about the Lee Deluxe turret press,it's a great press for pistol's and smaller rifle cartridges,but probably not the best for larger calibers.
I think it depends on the year the press was made, my dad hada Lee turrent press that worked great.. I purchased one that looked like his but the metal seemed light weight and the press would flex with heavier calibers. Since then I purchased a newer one and it does fine. .

Old 01-19-2014, 04:17 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I personally started with a Lyman reloader manual because it has allot of great info for starting out reloading. I got the lee challenger starter kit single stage press (which worked great for any metallic round).. Once I got proficient with a few rounds I wanted to load more volume so I got a Dillon 650 (I suggest going high dollar on progressive press because I tend to messure less and need my press to be very reliable- any load that I want dead bones accurate with little to no variance, I go back to the lee single stage press so I can measure all my loads I find that the lee press works great
Just started shotshell.. I have a Lee load all 2 shot shell press for 12 gage (it's a little slow but it's only 45 bucks!. It loads 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells and does 6 and 8 sided crimps. . Lyman shot shell reload manual helped allot. . I only do lead so far. . I hear steel and heavi shot is harder.. I imagine I will weigh the shot when go to those loads. . The lead seems to have more leeway in the tolerance.. Keep in mind the Lyman manuals are good for information but they don't have slot of recipes really. . For that I go to the powder manufacture sites. . That's my 10 cent. .

Last edited by Nickwashere; 01-19-2014 at 04:24 AM.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #17

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoToe1 View Post
My opinion on an economical reloading setup is to start with a quality single stage press like the Rockchucker. The best value may be in a basic kit with scale and powder drop. Then I suggest looking into Lee dies and accessories. Lee produces products that just plain work at a very fair price. The machine work isn't highly polished or impressive, but they work! You will no doubt add to your setup as you progress. If you decide to go with a turret or progressive down the road you'll be glad you have the rockchucker as a stand alone for depriming/sizing on bottle neck cartridges.

Let us know what you decide.
I agree the Rockchucker kit is the way to go. My brother in law bought the cheaper Lee press and was sorry he got it. The Rockchucker I have has been in use for 35 year and never had a single problem, Their customer service is one of the best in the industry. I also have been using Lee dies lately as mentioned the work well and are much lees prone to breaking the recapping pin.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 165 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Thanks for the link.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8oldguy View Post
I've been using Lee for many years. I used a single stage press for a long time. They are inexpensive and a good way to learn the basics and hone your skills. Don't go into this reloading every caliber you shoot. Start with the one you shoot most often and get proficient loading it. Then add another and so forth. I'm talking about handgun calibers. As previously stated, the shotgun reload is a whole different setup. The rifle will load a lot like the handgun, but has it's own differences. Just start slow and you'll be fine. Good luck in your new hobby.
+1
This is probably the best way forward.
My only change would be that you start with .38/.357mag. It will be the easiest to and most forgiving to start with. Then to the .40 and .380. Reloading rifle cartridges isn't really any harder, but there are a few differences.

For the metallic cartridges, I'd point you toward a Lee Classic Turret. It's simple & reasonably priced. Additionally it can be set up to act like a single stage in a couple seconds.

Shotgun, as previously noted is it's own animal.

Wherever you start, be sure to educate yourself thoroughly.
Recommended reading before you buy anything:
http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading-Definitive-Novice-Expert-ebook/dp/B004GUSBP6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1390577100&sr=1-1&keywords=abcs+of+reloading
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 01-24-2014 at 02:29 PM.