Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > new to reloading - equipment question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default new to reloading - equipment question

Considering buying reloading equipment. What is the best bang for the buck without requiring a whole room's worth of space? Is there a setup that can easily reload various calibers?

Calibers that I shoot: .380, .40, .38special/.357, .223/5.56, .30-06, and 12 gauge.

NRA member

Gun pics: http://goo.gl/VWE2Ev

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 466 Times on 315 Posts

You will get all kinds of opinions on the site top of the line is dellon
I started off and still use the lee load master. I do like this press it was a lot cheaper than the dellon
But I feel it was a great choice for a starter press it is a progressive press it will make 1 round per pull of the arm. I don't know of a press that will do shotgun cartridges at the same time though

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 314 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Lee Turret for the metallic cartridges. You'll need a seperate press for shotgun. Or a RCBS Rockchucker, Lee Single stage. With that many calibers I would get the Lee Turret as a good affordable press.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 439 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I've been using Lee for many years. I used a single stage press for a long time. They are inexpensive and a good way to learn the basics and hone your skills. Don't go into this reloading every caliber you shoot. Start with the one you shoot most often and get proficient loading it. Then add another and so forth. I'm talking about handgun calibers. As previously stated, the shotgun reload is a whole different setup. The rifle will load a lot like the handgun, but has it's own differences. Just start slow and you'll be fine. Good luck in your new hobby.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 01-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yeah...I will definitely start slow. Probably with .40S&W because I shoot it the most and have the most guns in that caliber. I just mentioned the other calibers because I want a setup that I can easily change to reload the others in the future without needing to buy a lot of extra equipment.

NRA member

Gun pics: http://goo.gl/VWE2Ev

Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Shotgun loading requires totally different gear.

Dillon is the best period.

How much you load and how much tolerance you have for repetitive manual labor determines whether you need progressive or single stage

In the single stage world rcbs I consider the gold standard.

If you have some mechanical ability get a used dillon xl650 in any condition and repair it yourself or you can send it off to dillon for a rebuild.

If your buying new lots of folks like the dillon 550 as a step down from the 650.

I do about 85% of my loading on my xl650.

Loading 1000 rounds of most pistol cases you need to handle each of them 4 times or so bottle neck rifle 5 if your doing single stage that's 4000 to 5000 operations doing it single stage progressives can lower it to 1000 or none if you have a bullet feeder.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-08-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:18 AM   #7

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

If your reloading from a glock pistol. Make sure you get a bulge buster to debulge the brass.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:02 AM   #8

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The little LEE Turret is a fine small economical press. I would not recommend it for the 30-06 or other large rifle cases. Yes it will work. Some people trust leaky boats. This little press simply does not have the guts for these jobs. Get an RCBS, Lyman single stage.
My choice would be the Dillon line. They have a program where you can buy a basic machine and add to it as you can afford.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:37 AM   #9

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I don't reload in high volume, so I use a single stage press - RCBS Rock Chucker. I've been using the same press for nearly 35 years without any issues.

All in all, RCBS has extremely high customer service - they stand behind their products regardless of age. So, they've gotten my business the old fashioned way - they've earned it.

I try to buy their products whenever possible.

Bayou

Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #10

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts

My opinion on an economical reloading setup is to start with a quality single stage press like the Rockchucker. The best value may be in a basic kit with scale and powder drop. Then I suggest looking into Lee dies and accessories. Lee produces products that just plain work at a very fair price. The machine work isn't highly polished or impressive, but they work! You will no doubt add to your setup as you progress. If you decide to go with a turret or progressive down the road you'll be glad you have the rockchucker as a stand alone for depriming/sizing on bottle neck cartridges.

Let us know what you decide.