Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   New to Reloading 9mm advise (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/new-reloading-9mm-advise-77135/)

cghamm117 11-26-2012 04:25 PM

New to Reloading 9mm advise

I am new to reloading, I bought a lee turret press, and dies in 9mm, and a lee manual. I will provide a link to the kit that I bought (not including dies and book). I was wondering what else would be advised to get started. As of right now I am just getting started and going to load 9mm. Also I was kinda looking for some advise on powder, bullets, and casing, primers. I want to start I think with enough supplies to make 500 or 1000 for now. How much powder, what would you recommend? Recommendations on bullets (just fmj plinking for now), primers, casings? And where can I find this, I appreciate the input.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-Deluxe-Turret-Press-Reloading-Kit/740033.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2 Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fs ch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dlee%2Bturret %2Bpress%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=lee+turret+press&WTz_l=Header%3 BSearch-All+Products

cghamm117 11-26-2012 04:40 PM

After looking into my own question, would I have been better off going with the classic turret, kit shown in the link, looks like the one I purchased does not have the priming tool, and is not of the same quality. I am on a budget so if you believe the one purchased is good enough that would be great, but if I shouldve bought the other, I can happily send this one back for the other.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-Precision-Classic-Turret-Press-Kit/1374275.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog% 2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26f sch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dlee%2Bturre t%2Bpress%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=lee+turret+press&WTz_l=Header%3 BSearch-All+Products

Pjj342 11-26-2012 04:52 PM

Im in the same boat you are, but havnt gotten my kit yet. So, im getting all the info I can in order to make my first 500rds.

You can get your bullets and cases online for a decent price, depending on where you look. Googling '9mm reloading brass' or '9mm (.355)reloading bullets' will get you the top sites they will be found. Also, search things like 'cheap 9mm brass' and you can find even more sites that were posted on forums.

Where primers and powder comes in, I would tell you to find a local shop and buy your explosive components there. Say you order 4lbs of powder and 1000primers from a shooting website. They ship your order seperately, giving you two shipping charges, and two $20 hazmat fees. Unless you are getting alot and know you are getting a deal over a local place, online powder/primer buying is not the way to go.

Also, being new to reloading, I would like to ask how much powder to buy for the first 1000rds, and how far does 4lbs of medium volume powder go?

Overkill0084 11-26-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cghamm117 (Post 1027938)
I am new to reloading, I bought a lee turret press, and dies in 9mm, and a lee manual. I will provide a link to the kit that I bought (not including dies and book). I was wondering what else would be advised to get started. As of right now I am just getting started and going to load 9mm. Also I was kinda looking for some advise on powder, bullets, and casing, primers. I want to start I think with enough supplies to make 500 or 1000 for now. How much powder, what would you recommend? Recommendations on bullets (just fmj plinking for now), primers, casings? And where can I find this, I appreciate the input.

Bullets: I use mostly cast and Rainier plated. If you have an OEM Glock, skip the cast bullets for now. For Bulk FMJ, see:
https://www.montanagoldbullet.com/pricelist_order.php
http://www.precisiondelta.com/product.php
There are others that are similar I just can't remember them right now.

Brass: Pick it up from the places you shoot, assuming they don't have a problem with it. 9mm brass has to be the easiest to obtain, it's friggen everywhere. I bought new 9 mm brass once, and that was for a specific purpose. For plinking ammo, it doesn't really matter.

Primers: I don't really shoot enough to bulk order them at this point. If you can source them locally for around $30 to $35 per brick, that should do it for now. You can decide later if bulk ordering is for you.

Powder? I use Bullseye for my 115 gr plinking loads. Unique for the 147s. HS-6 for the full steam JHP loads. AA#5 does well too. Win231/HP38 is another popular powder. I've been meaning to try Power Pistol. Look in your manual and pick something from the middle of the road as far as burn rate is concerned.
IMHO, for just starting out, I would stay away from the faster burning end of the spectrum until you get comfortable with the whole process. Bullseye/Red Dot/Titegroup and similar fast powders are less tolerant of mistakes than say Win 231/HP38. My Lee powder measure didn't really work well with Unique, so I'd give that pass for the time being.
For a Noob, starting out, Win231/HP38 & AA#5 are my top recommendations. There are probably a number of others in that operating range, but those are the one's I can think of right off the top of my head. I wouldn't start buying bulk quantities of powder until you get settled into your process and decide what powder is worth a long term commitment. If you don't shoot a lot or pick the wrong stuff for your needs, an 8 pound can of pistol powder will last forever.

Oh, buy another manual or two. The Lee is OK, but one can't have too much load data. If nothing else, take a look at those all one caliber reloading books. They are reprints from the other manuals, but they provide a diverse set of sources for comparison.
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Reloading-Manual-9mm-Luger/dp/B005TJHHMG/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1353954954&sr=1-2&keywords=9+mm+reloading
The Lyman 49th Edition is a good source. So too, is the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook once you start playing with cast to any degree.

Oh, FYI- 9 mm is going to be the hardest caliber to really see a significant savings from reloading, since it's the cheapest to buy. So don't be disappointed when those savings aren't as much as you would have liked.

cghamm117 11-26-2012 07:48 PM

As for now im shooting out of a M&P . I will look into the slower burning powders and buy them and primers probably locally, did not think about the hazmat issue. And as for 9mm i know I wont save money with 9mm, but I was picking reloading up now as kind of a hobby, but my main goal is to be able to do larger loads and maybe perfect ammo for better accuracy. I will look into another book as well.

Pjj342 11-26-2012 08:05 PM

Heres a pretty good price on 1000 115gr fmjs 88bucks http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1050111171/rainier-leadsafe-bullets-9mm-355-diameter-115-grain-plated-round-nose

Overkill0084 11-26-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cghamm117 (Post 1028113)
As for now im shooting out of a M&P . I will look into the slower burning powders and buy them and primers probably locally, did not think about the hazmat issue. And as for 9mm i know I wont save money with 9mm, but I was picking reloading up now as kind of a hobby, but my main goal is to be able to do larger loads and maybe perfect ammo for better accuracy. I will look into another book as well.

Yeah, the Hazmat is a bummer, it kills a lot of savings for those who aren't shooting 1000rds per week. Can't speak for other areas, but local retail prices vary wildly around here, so shop around. I can get primers cheaper in one store but powder prices are just silly there, so I go elsewhere. Also, if you are a member of a gun club or similar, (or just a large group of friends who reload) check amongst the members to see if there are any group buys going on. Big savings if you can piggyback on a group buy of powder & primers.
By the time I got around to reloading 9 mm, I was already doing several other calibers, so it was just a matter of buying the dies and consumables. You can save money, just not as much as say .45acp or .44 mag. With 9 mm the heavier your bullets, the better your savings. El Cheapo bulk115 gr ammo is everywhere. 124 stuff is a bit less common and costs noticeably more. 147 gr ammo, while not exactly rare, isn't all that common, and goes for noticeably more $.
Enjoy.

cghamm117 11-27-2012 12:37 AM

Thank you for the responses, I meant to ask and this will most likely be one of those questions that is personnel preference. But what grain 9mm would any of you suggest reloading.

robocop10mm 11-27-2012 05:05 AM

I cast my own bullets (125 gr RN and 125 gr RNFP). My bullet cost (the most expensive part) is near zero. I, too, shop around for powder and primers. I have a store in Houston 2 1/2 hours away that is WAY cheaper than anyone local for primers. It is 1/2 mile from my mom's house, so I stop in every time I go visit mom. Powder is a little cheaper locally so I tend to stock up in Houston on primers and get powder as I need it locally.

nitestalker 11-27-2012 05:24 AM

Overkill,where in Ogden are you paying such high powder prices? Sportmans Warehouse on Riverdale Rd. is about average. Cal-Ranch is not that bad. Impact Arms is high. Primers at Cabelas In Lehi are average. The Reloading store in North Ogden is a little high. Smith and Edwards is high. You can find powder prices around Weber Co. that are not that bad.