New to reloading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New to reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to reloading

I am about to start reloading first time ever.. Starting with 9mm got the reload equipment, but not sure as to what kind of reasonably priced powder to use, and where to get it. I been seeing muzzle loader powder but don't know I it will work? Any suggestions

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #2

Well you certainly don't want to use muzzleloader powder. You need to have something designed for pistol, and something recommended for what you're loading. You should get a reloading book or two - they have "recipes" with minimum and maximum powder charges for whatever particular bullet and powder you're using. Also a lot of this information can be downloaded from the different manufacturers websites. I tend to shy away from the loads that people list on the different sites. The info will also give you the proper cartridge maximum overall length, how much to crimp the case, and such information that is very important to know. Anyway, as far as powder, it's extremely hard to come by right now for obvious reasons. I haven't been reloading pistol for too long but after an excessive amount of researching I chose Accurate #5 which looked to be a good all-around powder for reloading my .40 S&W as well as several other calibers. Plus Accurate has their whole reloading data in pdf form on their website. I know I haven't been too much help but what I will stress to you most is read, read, read. my RCBS kit came with the Speer reloading manual and I read it a couple times before I started to really understand it all, and before I even attempted to load a round. It's very rewarding though once you get going. I find it very relaxing and it suits my perfectionist personality just fine. I weigh every charge and measure every round, but that's just me. I think that's all part of the satisfaction. Good luck and be safe.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2771 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

Welcome to the Forum, gents.
May I suggest the you stop by our "Introductions" area next time you log in and say "Hi"

Armed1 is correct about not using muzzleloader powder.

Stop by a Mom & Pop gun store and ask for reloading brochures.

The 9mm is not the ideal round to start reloading on. Something like the .38 Special is a little more forgiving.

Here is a link to Nosler: http://www.nosler.com/Reloading-Data/9mm-Luger-(Parabellum)-Handgun-115-Grains.aspx

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would recommend getting either the Hornady or Sierra reloading books. This books have all the info you will need to reload. And the 9mm will ok to start on. I started reloading on the 45 acp and the 223 rem. You can also get reloading info from Hodgdon's wed sight.

For the 9mm I would use Blue Dot or Tight Group.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #5

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Get an intervention. Before it's too late.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 04-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

9mm is easy to load, but can be troublesome to get the desired results. It is a bit finicky. Primers and bullets are hard to come by these days. Powder is a little easier. There are many powders suitable. I have used Unique, Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, 700X, W-231. There are probably 20 others that will work.

Issues you may run in to: Glock fired brass generally has a swelled base that is not corrected by standard sizing dies. Overall length can be CRITICAL. Load as long as the magazine will allow. There can be large variances in case thickness from the wide variety of makers, this can lead to large differences in pressures. Sort brass by headstamp. The 9mm has a tapered case that is a bit more dificult to process than a straight case like the .38 Spl. or .45 ACP.

Welcome to the "addiction". Prepare to spend just as much on ammo as you used to, you will just get to shoot a whole lot more.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

jebsca Likes This 
Old 04-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrbertothy View Post
I would recommend getting either the Hornady or Sierra reloading books. This books have all the info you will need to reload. And the 9mm will ok to start on. I started reloading on the 45 acp and the 223 rem. You can also get reloading info from Hodgdon's wed sight.

For the 9mm I would use Blue Dot or Tight Group.
I'm absolutely new to reloading as well. I'm in an apartment but have some space I could use to reload. I'd like to reload 9mm, 40s&w, .45acp, 8mm mauser, and 12gauge. Do I have to buy a separate reloader for each caliber? I hope I don't sound retarded! I do have an OLD Hornady reloading book from my late father in law. I would have already been into this years ago but when he passed all of my wifes family swarmed the house and took all of his guns/ reloading equipment and what not. This was before I met her so.

All guns are created equal

Old 04-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #8

Liked 685 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxImpactGuns View Post
I'm absolutely new to reloading as well. I'm in an apartment but have some space I could use to reload. I'd like to reload 9mm, 40s&w, .45acp, 8mm mauser, and 12gauge. Do I have to buy a separate reloader for each caliber? I hope I don't sound retarded! I do have an OLD Hornady reloading book from my late father in law. I would have already been into this years ago but when he passed all of my wifes family swarmed the house and took all of his guns/ reloading equipment and what not. This was before I met her so.
You can handload the 9mm,40 S&W,45 ACP and 8MM with the same press, you will need a different set of Dies for each. Shotgun requires a different press.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:14 AM   #9

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdegood2006 View Post
I am about to start reloading first time ever.. Starting with 9mm got the reload equipment, but not sure as to what kind of reasonably priced powder to use, and where to get it. I been seeing muzzle loader powder but don't know I it will work? Any suggestions
since I have not seen anyone else say it..have you read "The ABC's of reloading? Most here will tel l you to read that once, at least, before your put any equipment on your bench.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 04-22-2013, 02:21 AM   #10

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

No, do not use muzzleloader powder. Black powder is an explosive, smokeless gun powder is not. Use the correct powder for the correct application. For your needs you need to find Win 231 or H-38, that might be a bit hard today with the shortages. You could use some of the shotgun powders like blue dot or Unique. I would suggest you go to Hodgdon's web-site and check under pistol/9mm for the powders that they make for that round.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Jim