New to reloading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New to reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default New to reloading

I know I don't post here very much on this forum but I do do quite a bit of reading and I have become quite interested in reloading. I have learned quite a lot from this forum as well as other resources. My question today is about 9mm brass. I was at the range the other day and found these spent shells. I took measurements of the brass and they are all the same as a 9mm shell. Can they be used to reload 9mm or should they be tossed out? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Yes, those all appear to BE 9mm. Military brass is not marked with the maker, but sometimes will have initials of a civlian maker (WCC). BTW, the circle with the + in it means NATO standard. SOME military brass has a crimped in place primer- bugger to remove, and primer pocket needs cleanup before reloading.

Jst look inside fired case, make sure it has ONE flash hole, not two. If two, wrong primer to reload. Also dull gray brass with NR not reloadable- Blazer, aluminum cased.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:56 AM   #3

Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the info.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:27 AM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

I've been reloading with my dad for a couple of years now, well worth the time and $. Just been reloading for a 9mm and a 7mm mag. Now I'm in the market to get my own. Since it's my first, I'm going to get a single stage lee I think. The anniversary kit. It's a lot of fun to reload however, will it save you $?, me...no, since I reload...I shoot even more. Vicious circle it is. Back to your topic, Definitely usable brass. I pick it up every time I hit the range. New stuff ain't cheap. Just stay away from the steel case. And the +p stamp is also a hotter round. I use the vihtavouri powder with cci primers and rainer 115 gn bullets. I would really like to pick up some of the hornady h.a.p. 125 gn to try them out.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 11-30-2011, 07:46 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

WCC is Winchester Cartridge Company. The case on the top left appears to have been fired through a carbine perhaps as the primer is extraordinarily struck.

All appear to be substantially tarnished. They will likely not clean up nicely, but will function just fine after a good run in a polisher. I consider tarnished cases like these to be fodder for conditions where I am unlikely to find the brass anyway (tall grass, etc.)

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Some berdan primed cases have only one hole--however it is NOT centered.
Are the case steel (magnet test). If so, scrap.

RE: single-stage press.
If I was in the market for an inexpensive press, I would get the Lee Classic Turret Press.
However, some people feel the "tighter tolerances" of a single-stage will equate to more accurate ammunition. I have never found that true.
kempfgunshop.com has a nice Lee Classic Turret Press kit for about $212.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:01 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Oh, WCC is Western Cartridge Company.