New To Me Dillon 650- Question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > New To Me Dillon 650- Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10786

Default New To Me Dillon 650- Question

A neighbor brought by his new Dillon 650 for some help setting up. (I have a 550). We are setting up for 5.56/223. I never run the decapping/resizing die as I do that in a Rockchucker and then tumble them in corn cob to remove the case lube (Dillon lube), so the first station just puts the case into the rotation, then it goes to the prime and powder charge station. My first question is is there a way to stop the primer turret from rotating if you are going to stop feeding cases? I hate to feed primers out onto the floor (which is where they invariably will go).

Next station is the bullet seating and then next crimping. That leaves one die stations empty. Does anyone set up their 650 with all 5 stations having dies in them? If so, what dies do you put there?

Also, a side question. Am I wasting time by depriming/resizing separately? It is my understanding that the cases must not have any case lube on them as it will contaminate the powder and possibly kill the primer. Is this true or am I being overly cautious?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5741 Times on 3000 Posts
Likes Given: 380

I use two tool heads for bottleneck cases. One with just the sizing decapping die and one with the powder seating and crimp die if im using cannelured bullets. I clean the cases then lube them using a cardboard 4sixpack soda flat case bottom. I use spray lube on em when they are flat in there. Couple squirts dump em in the case feed. Size deprime em all. Primer tube is emptyfor this step.

Then i trim if needed and clean the primer pockets trim and chamfer. Then that done they all go into the case feed. Set up the powder seat crimp tool head fill the primer and powder and get after it. Lomg as you dont go crazy with the lube from the resizing it wont hurt anything from the sizing phase.

Stage one is for size/decap, two is for prime/powder charge, three is for the optional powder check or a bullet feed system, four is seating die, five is crimp

Bottle neck cased stuff needs to be run through two seperate times. First is cleaned lubed with spent primer for sizing decapping. Second time is after you have trimmed chamferred for priming powder bullet.

Some people tumble in between but media gets stuck in the flash holes its a pain in the ass when it starts clogging the machine. I just dont bother removing the lube

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 09-17-2012 at 03:46 AM.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There is no need to clean between lubing sizing and then powder charging. Unless you're dipping your cases in a. Bucket of lube. You typically use spray on lube or can even use an RCBS lube die. Only lubing the outside of the cases lightly. Not enough to contaminate powder or deactivate primers.

Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5825 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 5303

My system was to resize/decap, tumble clean, and put a RCBS universal decapping die in the sizing die station to knock any corncob granules out of the primer pocket.

I know some folks don't clean the lube off after sizing, but I've never been comfortable loading and/or shooting cases with lube still on them.

If you load in large batches like I did, (1000 per session) the time consumed in cleaning, when computed on a per round basis is negligible.

Winston Churchill

Old 09-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
My system was to resize/decap, tumble clean, and put a RCBS universal decapping die in the sizing die station to knock any corncob granules out of the primer pocket.

I know some folks don't clean the lube off after sizing, but I've never been comfortable loading and/or shooting cases with lube still on them.

If you load in large batches like I did, (1000 per session) the time consumed in cleaning, when computed on a per round basis is negligible.
That's what I have been doing with the 550 but with the 650 I am thinking of doing it the other way. Still yet to be decided at this point though.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
A neighbor brought by his new Dillon 650 for some help setting up. (I have a 550). We are setting up for 5.56/223. I never run the decapping/resizing die as I do that in a Rockchucker and then tumble them in corn cob to remove the case lube (Dillon lube), so the first station just puts the case into the rotation, then it goes to the prime and powder charge station. My first question is is there a way to stop the primer turret from rotating if you are going to stop feeding cases? I hate to feed primers out onto the floor (which is where they invariably will go).

When you want to stop feeding primers, just remove the Primer Cam that is attached to the right side of the frame.

Next station is the bullet seating and then next crimping. That leaves one die stations empty. Does anyone set up their 650 with all 5 stations having dies in them? If so, what dies do you put there?

The extra station was originally designed for the Dillon Powder Check system. I do use this system for all calibers except for 9mm where a poor mans bullet feeder is setup

Also, a side question. Am I wasting time by depriming/resizing separately? It is my understanding that the cases must not have any case lube on them as it will contaminate the powder and possibly kill the primer. Is this true or am I being overly cautious?
As others have stated, most bottle neck cases some times require trimming. That is the main reason for doing 2 steps.

Last edited by anm2_man; 09-20-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
As others have stated, most bottle neck cases some times require trimming. That is the main reason for doing 2 steps.
OK, that is helpful. I suppose I could measure each case first and if near the case trim to length they should be good to go ( I have never had a case lengthen to the maximum in one resizing operation). Might take a little more research before I make it a practice though.

He did have the powder check system as well but I have not set it up yet. I will do that maybe tonight. Seems like a good step to incorporate. Are you satisfied with the way it works?

As to a bullet feed, that would be really nifty to have!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The powder check die, if properly set up and adjusted, works quite well indeed.

But it can be a little frustrating to adjust the first few times.

Winston Churchill

Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #9

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
OK, that is helpful. I suppose I could measure each case first and if near the case trim to length they should be good to go ( I have never had a case lengthen to the maximum in one resizing operation). Might take a little more research before I make it a practice though.

He did have the powder check system as well but I have not set it up yet. I will do that maybe tonight. Seems like a good step to incorporate. Are you satisfied with the way it works?

As to a bullet feed, that would be really nifty to have!
Even though you measure them B4 sizing, you will never know if they are going to stretch beyond the max until they have been sized. I reload mostly Belt Fed MG cartridges. If I had to guess, at least 50% need a trim. Since I tried this once, I now just run them all thru the Dillon 1200 trimmer and the ones that need trimming get trimed, the other ones do not.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

One little trick I learned with the 650. Short pistol cases like .45, .40 and 9MM will often have powder "bounce" out when the shell plate indexes.

When I started the upstroke on the handle, as the shell plate came clear of the tool head, I put my "business finger" over the mouth of the case coming out of the powder checker, and as the shell plate continued to rotate, I placed my first finger over the mouth of the case that had come out of the powder measure. I kept them there until the shell plate "clicked" into place.

No spilled powder.

Winston Churchill