Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   New here...reloading question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/new-here-reloading-question-81628/)

modernmopar 01-17-2013 05:57 PM

New here...reloading question

Ey guys, I'm new here. I've looked on this forum for an up to date answer on my question but couldn't find it. So here it is:

Not including the cost of the reloader, what would be the cost of reloading be compared to buying ammo? My dad just bought 1000 9mm rounds for $190. I am thinking of getting a 9mm semi auto CZ 75 or a smith and Wesson Model 29 .44 magnum.

Thanks

potentialglock 01-17-2013 06:09 PM

For 9mm depending on the components you get you'll break even or maybe get off slightly cheaper by reloading. The savings really come in when reloading rounds more expensive like 45acp or 44 magnum. However components are hard to come by right now and once the cost is taken into account some calibers are cheaper to buy if you can find them

Overkill0084 01-17-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modernmopar (Post 1097801)
Ey guys, I'm new here. I've looked on this forum for an up to date answer on my question but couldn't find it. So here it is:

Not including the cost of the reloader, what would be the cost of reloading be compared to buying ammo? My dad just bought 1000 9mm rounds for $190. I am thinking of getting a 9mm semi auto CZ 75 or a smith and Wesson Model 29 .44 magnum.

Thanks

Becoming a reloader only to save money is a fools errand. Especially if 9 mm is your only game. If you can source half decent ammo @19 cents per round, you will be hard pressed to save much money. My cast bullet reloads are probably about 14 or 15 cents per round. If you use good quality jacketed bullets (say $15 per hundred), it will be pretty much a wash, at best. That said, there are other reasons to reload. You can creat high quality match ammo for about the same price as crappy bulk plinking ammo. Much depends on your priorities.
I like the versatility of being able to tailor specific loads to specific tasks.
If you wish to shoot a lot of .44 mag, the whole equation changes. If you can't save money with .44 mag, you're not really trying.

potentialglock 01-17-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 1097816)
Becoming a reloader only to save money is a fools errand. Especially if 9 mm is your only game. If you can source half decent ammo @19 cents per round, you will be hard pressed to save much money. My cast bullet reloads are probably about 14 or 15 cents per round. If you use good quality jacketed bullets (say $15 per hundred), it will be pretty much a wash, at best. That said, there are other reasons to reload. You can creat high quality match ammo for about the same price as crappy bulk plinking ammo. Much depends on your priorities.
I like the versatility of being able to tailor specific loads to specific tasks.
If you wish to shoot a lot of .44 mag, the whole equation changes. If you can't save money with .44 mag, you're not really trying.

+1 I'm looking forward to driving tacks at distance with my 1911

modernmopar 01-17-2013 06:27 PM

So how would you compare the cost of purchasing 9mm ammo vs reloading .44 caliber ammo? I they are about the same? I think I'm gonna go with the Model 29 if they are. I wouldn't min spending the time to reload plus I think it'd be a good skill to have.

potentialglock 01-17-2013 06:36 PM

Those aren't really comparable. You have to compare cost or reloading and purchasing the same caliber

modernmopar 01-17-2013 06:45 PM

I know the guns aren't, but the costs could be.
-purchasing 1000 rounds of 9mm=$190
-reloading 1000 rounds of .44 caliber=$199? (not including cost of reloader)

potentialglock 01-17-2013 06:48 PM

Depends on which components you pick.

potentialglock 01-17-2013 06:49 PM

Magnum primers are more expensive I know that

modernmopar 01-17-2013 07:15 PM

Any idea what the rang in prices to reload 1000 .44 caliber components? About what would it cost with the cheapest and what would it cost with the best components?