new handloader - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

new handloader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 229 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Here is a second vote for going to Youtube for instruction videos. I learned a lot about the stuff that Dillon left out of the materials that came with the press.
I just got a copy of the ABC's of Reloading (by C. Rodney James, 9th edition) from Amazon. It cost about $21 shipped to my door. Some of the used ones cost much more. I can see why you folks recommend it ; it is very well written.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #12

Thanks for the info guys. I'm ordering the book now
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just so you know, Lee's Classic Reloader package will not index (turn) the turret loading .308. I learned the hard way, it will load, but you have to turn the turret manually. No big deal, but the surprise was NOT nice. The case length plus bullet length is taller than the interior of the press.

I love loading .308 on it, but the turret is for shorter rifle and handgun reloading.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:33 AM   #14
Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Originally Posted by kjdeut View Post
BaldRugerLover, I could use that name also. Also been thinking about getting into reloading and was wondering the same question along with how much room do you need? Would a person need a dedicated space or can the equipment be taken down and set up again without a lot of hassle?
Hope I didn't steal your thread.

I beleive the NRA has plans for a reloading bench which works great. It offers storage for everything, except the press which you should mount as secure as possible to the bench top.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #15
Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Bought a Lee single stage kit some years back, they run about $150 nowadays. I did eventually upgrade my hand primer, and my powder scale to a digital one, the rest of the Lee stuff I still use. It is great for my low volume rifle loading, but the few times I did higher volume pistol loading I was kinna wishing for a turret press. It all comes down to how much you shoot and what you are looking for. There are "better" setups for maximizing accuracy but I have been able to make solid one ragged hole loads in my budget kit (the limit of my shooting skill) and I normally don't shoot a very high volume so I see no real reason to spend any more.

Newest Threads