New to forum and handgun reloading
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

New to forum and handgun reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 12:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default New to forum and handgun reloading

I am planning on reloading for my .44 Remington Mag. Ruger Blackhawk new model. Can I substitute CCI 300 large pistol primer for Remington 2 1/2 large pistol primer? Also I have info on using soft point bullets but not flat point. What do I need to do to use flat point bullets? Plan to use ~23 grains IMR4227. I really appreciate any info.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter105 View Post
I am planning on reloading for my .44 Remington Mag. Ruger Blackhawk new model. Can I substitute CCI 300 large pistol primer for Remington 2 1/2 large pistol primer? Also I have info on using soft point bullets but not flat point. What do I need to do to use flat point bullets? Plan to use ~23 grains IMR4227. I really appreciate any info.
welcome to FTF. stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone when you get a chance.

here is some load data from IMR on that powder.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

here is a primer chart for you as well.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp
bradam Likes This 
Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 AM   #3
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 1721

Welcome to the forum from Northern California

Old 05-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #4

Liked 355 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 64

You should be using a Large Pistol Magnum primer. Unless you're going to make some .44 Special loads then a Large Pistol primer is called for. I've never used the powder you're looking at. My preferred powder is AA#9.

Lead flat points are excellent for the range. Just follow the OAL and make sure you crimp well. There is a lot of recoil and the bullets can lengthen and lockup your cylinder.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 11029 Times on 4771 Posts
Likes Given: 1812

And a standard suggestion I ALWAYS make to anyone getting started in handloading-

Get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading (check Amazon, used copies are cheap) and READ THE BOOK before you buy or load anything.

You should also have a good load data manual (yeah, you can pull info on line from the powder makers). I like my Lyman manual, but there are others.

The recipes (bullet, powder and primer) were put together for good reasons. Follow them religiously, and live long and prosper.

BTW- welcome! Glad you found us!
People Like This 
Old 05-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply's. I have been reloading for my 30.06 for 30+ years, 20 gauge ~ 20 yrs. just never for pistol. Time to get serious and have some fun reloading for pistol shooting.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:07 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6836 Times on 3634 Posts
Likes Given: 513

roll crimping is important on this cartridge. bullets need to have crimp cannelures and the case mouth roll crimped into that cannelure as the recoil is more than enough to pull bullets from cases on recoil locking the gun up tight.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 05-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8225 Times on 4486 Posts
Likes Given: 8005

I've always had excellent results with Winchester, CCI or Remington large pistol standard primers in .44 mag. Takes a little more powder to reach maximum, but they seem to give better accuracy and consistency.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3594 Times on 1847 Posts
Likes Given: 401

In my experience, 4227 can be a little hard to get going. A magnum primer and a firm roll crimp will help ensure proper ignition